Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 12:11 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As western Oklahoma towns go, Weatherford is probably the best one overall relative to offerings and the convenience of offerings located close to lodging. Marginally better than Elk City. Again, I just don't think crime is really an issue anywhere. You'd have to be really unlucky to be a victim in any town along I-40 in Oklahoma.

Now if you want Mexican food...you need to go to Clinton. The town between Weatherford and Clinton. It will fail on your crime stats but it's A+ for Mexican joints. There are three places literally next door to each other and several others throughout the town.

I really hadn't planned on putting myself anywhere in which we could become victims of criminals. But I also know that crime can and does happen just about everywhere. We'll even be in our rooms right after we eat our evening meal. We act older than what we are sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Don’t assume I-40 cities in Arizona are any better because they definitely aren’t.

As far as I-40 in Oklahoma, the Mustang/Yukon area has always been good to me.

From Weatherford we're heading to a Hilton Garden Inn in located in Albuquerque. Only around 7 hours but we decided to not do long days so we can explore a little and my health issues with my legs. Then the next day we're only driving o Chandler to spend a week with our new grandson before starting back.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:41 PM

565 posts, read 470,687 times
I'm assuming you're taking at least a handgun on your journey? Congratulations on the new grand baby.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:42 AM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
From Weatherford we're heading to a Hilton Garden Inn Inn located in Albuquerque. Only around 7 hours but we decided to not do long days so we can explore a little and my health issues with my legs. Then the next day we're only driving to Chandler to spend a week with our new grandson before starting back.
I may be misreading that, but you won't be doing any exploring in ABQ. State's on a lockdown, very measured response to COVID. I drove I-40 from Amarillo to Holbrook and then AZ 77/377/260/87 to Scottsdale a couple weeks ago, there are strict occupancy restrictions everywhere; Santa Rosa was our first "potty stop" and it was very desolate, a lot of places closed.

I-40 added almost an hour to our trip when we got through Gallup, which was also mostly closed. Three construction zones from about milepost 45 to the AZ state line, with signs stating there was road work ahead, but no communication which lane was closed until right on top of them. Which meant a lot of drivers ended up in the wrong lane right up to the "merge now" signs, turning I-40 into a parking lot. We took the I-10 through Tucson on the way back for the construction, to minimize time in NM, and to avoid the snow which fell from Gallup to Amarillo; the southern route adds an hour (15 versus 14 total) to our time to SW Oklahoma.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:27 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I've traveled much of the US, mostly for work. But OK is one state I've not visited. The wife and I are coming through in a few weeks driving from VA to AZ to see our new grandson. (Please, no lectures on the pandemic as we plan on taking all the precautions possible) As a retired LEO I like to research how safe an area is when the wife is with me. I've googled numerous towns along I-40 looking for one to stay overnight and I am blown away by how these towns are listed as very dangerous with some numbers I would not expect. I have little doubt OK is a beautiful state and has plenty of great places to visit and live but I was curious why towns along I-40 are rated as such. A couple of them were from like 2014 so obviously things cold have changed. Two examples were Fort Smith and Shawnee. When I travel I use Hilton properties so I looked at towns that had this hotel chain. We settled on Elk City. Excellent numbers on the violent crimes although property crimes are too high.

Again, I am not disparaging OK as every state has their problems areas end even these areas can be nice places to live or visit as long as you are smart about where you go while there. I was just more curious why the I-40 corridor seems to have so many areas with these kinds of high crime ratings. If there is even an explanation.

Elk City: 3 Elk City is another modestly-sized city located on Historic U.S. Route 66 near the western edge of the state that boasts the state's lowest violent crime rate, a mere 0.61 offenses per 1,000. Elk City's property crime rate, nearly double those of the first two entries in the ranking, keeps it out of the top spot

Here is what I found for Fort Smith: One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 18. Within Arkansas, more than 95% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Fort Smith.

Shawnee: Dec 3, 2019 — ... safest city according to the study. Shawnee was listed as the least safe city in Oklahoma with a violent crime rate of 12. 23 per 1000 people.
I’m also a retired LEO. Spent 8 years in Oklahoma and the rest in Alaska. As others have said Weatherford would be your best choice. Just about every other city in Oklahoma that have established hotel, retail and restaurants along the I-40 corridor is plagued by crime. Easy pickin’s for criminals.

I attended a number of LEO training classes at Weatherford PD and was impressed with the operations and quality of employees. Weatherford is also home to Southwestern Oklahoma State University and that adds to the stability of the place. Good luck on your journey and stay vary aware when you’re in Albuquerque. It’s changed a lot.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:07 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,626 times
What the hell? You people are terrified of nothing. Gotta have a gun and be careful of small towns in western Oklahoma on I-40? What? It's not some dystopian hell from Mad Max, they are just small towns off an interstate. You will be fine.

Be careful of Covid, it's far more likely to kill you than some random criminal hunting travelers in scary western Oklahoma. Driving poorly is even more likely to kill you than Covid.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:38 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
What the hell? You people are terrified of nothing. Gotta have a gun and be careful of small towns in western Oklahoma on I-40? What? It's not some dystopian hell from Mad Max, they are just small towns off an interstate. You will be fine.

Be careful of Covid, it's far more likely to kill you than some random criminal hunting travelers in scary western Oklahoma. Driving poorly is even more likely to kill you than Covid.
Now, THIS, I can agree with.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:06 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post

Thank you! Today the weather should be of more concern.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:17 AM

17,779 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
I’m also a retired LEO. Spent 8 years in Oklahoma and the rest in Alaska. As others have said Weatherford would be your best choice. Just about every other city in Oklahoma that have established hotel, retail and restaurants along the I-40 corridor is plagued by crime. Easy pickin’s for criminals.

I attended a number of LEO training classes at Weatherford PD and was impressed with the operations and quality of employees. Weatherford is also home to Southwestern Oklahoma State University and that adds to the stability of the place. Good luck on your journey and stay vary aware when you’re in Albuquerque. It’s changed a lot.
Yes, we remember you from your previous incarnation on here. Maybe it's an ex LEO thing with this crime thing because you all were on the calls when things did happen. But as a member of the general public there is not a town on I-40 that I would be scared to get a room on in the I-40 corridor. Not one. Most of those areas are newer developments for those communities and are the cash cow for those communities. Those cities protect those areas at the expense of other parts of town.

Now getting a ticket for going 5 over by the local police. That's another story.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, we remember you from your previous incarnation on here. Maybe it's an ex LEO thing with this crime thing because you all were on the calls when things did happen. But as a member of the general public there is not a town on I-40 that I would be scared to get a room on in the I-40 corridor. Not one. Most of those areas are newer developments for those communities and are the cash cow for those communities. Those cities protect those areas at the expense of other parts of town.

Now getting a ticket for going 5 over by the local police. That's another story.
While I am asking these questions I really am not that concerned as I am smart enough to keep us out of the bad areas while we are stopped for the night. My biggest concern is the car break ins while stopped for the night. It happens at even the best hotels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma