Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:57 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
If you want a town that can't win a bowl game, go for Norman!

Uh oh! I did it again. Public enemy #1 has dared to offend the OU crowd.
You like to stand under hornets nests and swing a stick like you would at a pinata, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:09 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
I thought this was interesting. But, RB, I don't see any Kansas schools on the list!
Schools with the Most NCAA Championships

Old 05-09-2008, 10:39 AM

330 posts, read 970,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
You like to stand under hornets nests and swing a stick like you would at a pinata, don't you?

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Click image for larger version

Name:	7767465.3499197[1].jpg
Views:	250
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	19500

Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I thought this was interesting. But, RB, I don't see any Kansas schools on the list!
Notice that instead of OU being on the list it's oSu.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:27 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Well, the list doesn't include football, but I was not really surprised to see OSU so well represented.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:08 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
This picture of the 2008 NCAA National Championship parade is not in Norman!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/parade-747523.jpg (broken link)

(1) Kansas 75, (1) Memphis 68

Back to the OP. I think Stillwater is much smaller than Norman. Personally, I would pick OU over Stillwater, but I wouldn't live IN Norman, probably away from the crowds. Unless you are a student, then you want to be close to where all the action is.

I think LR has an interesting picture of UT to share.... right LR?

LR?? LR? LR? LR? LR LR? ...... LR?
that's supposed to be an <echo effect>

Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
Traffic on game days is the only negative I can find to Norman. Then again I'm 18 so the college scene is where I'm at right now.

If I stay in the metro after college I may think of moving to Norman, depending on where my employer is. It's 45 minutes away from me so it's an area that's almost foreign to me, yet it's close to home and in the same metro. If not Norman than Edmond. I'm young and tired of boring old NW OKC A place most people are apathetic about, it's ok but nothing great and not exactly the place to be.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 PM

114 posts, read 572,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techienomad View Post
My friend and I were talking about the same thing, that Norman hasn't really felt destruction of a tornado. I said the football gods won't allow it. Anyway, I hope it stays that way, but will be prepared for the possibility. I agree that some of the roads are like alley ways. I can't understand why because back in the old days, didn't they used to drive big boats like caddys, oldsmobiles, and of course trucks? Personally, I prefer the the local owned food places over the huge chains (Van's Pig Stand, Coach's, etc...). Oh, the traffic, what traffic? Having lived in California, even the best rush hour doesn't match up to the parking lots, I mean 'freeways' in California.
As Sooner fans up here in Missouri and hoping to move to Enid, Norman, Newcastle in a year or so - sometimes the OU Football team is a little sleepy and I told my wife that we could just move under the bleachers and live there - safe from any tornado or other activity. <expecially when we play Texas Tech> Brickbats now please. haha

Anyway definitely looking forward to more of SamBradford and Boys.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 8,729 times
Default Tornado Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
The worst thing about Norman: There isn't enough of it!!!

Seriously, I would have to say traffic is this town's worst issue. Avoid driving during any sort of special event at OU. Game Days, graduation, freshmen move-in day, Medieval Fair, etc. usually turn this town to gridlock. Even on normal days the simple fact that the town is squeezing traffic on roads that haven't been widened since the 1950's usually means severe back-ups through the year. Just make sure you leave early and you will get to your destinations on time. Besides, there wouldn't be traffic if there weren't things to do and this wasn't a place where a lot of people want to live.

If I HAD to stretch and name EVERYTHING thats wrong with Norman:

-The town has 3 personalities; rolling rural cross timbers in the east; affluent yet bland suburb in the west, and cool college town in the middle. The problem is it doesn't know which one to follow
-Dominated by college culture. If you don't like OU or being surrounding by thousands of college kids, you won't like it here.
-Commuting to OKC requires a drive along what is probably this state's most congested freeway: The stretch of I-35 between here and the 1-235/40 junction.
-May be too small or big for some people's liking (only about 105,000 permanent citizens).
-Floods easily when it rains (but hey we've NEVER been struck by a tornado!)
-Strict development laws mean housing here is about $10-$15K more than for a comparably priced home in OKC. But much like traffic, it wouldn't be like that if there wasn't a demand from this being a highly sought after place to live.

Okay this list is REALLY stretching it, but I think the great cultural opportunities, events, and laid back, college-town way of life more that outweighs all of the negatives. Come and see it for yourself.

Not that this would be a reason to not move to Norman, but being in the meteorological field, I just can't help but respond regarding Norman's tornado history and potential. Norman is actually in an area that has a very high incidence of tornadoes throughout history, especially strong and violent tornadoes greater than EF-2 intensity. The proximity of the Moore tornadoes over the last decade should not bring comfort to those residing in Norman, but instead they should serve as a reminder that Norman is in an area of very high tornado risk. Many towns have indian legends, rivers, hills and other beliefs about their town's tornado immunity. Norman of course is no different with recent tornadoes "missing" Norman to the north and hitting Moore instead, and the local cross timber indian legend and river valley legend only add to residents' sense of safety. The legends are of course innocent in nature, but they can lead to a false sense of security. Regarding the belief by many residents that Norman has "never" been hit by tornadoes, this is actually not true. While it has been a relatively long time since a major tornado hit the Norman area, there have been several since the town's beginning. There have been several weak tornadoes to affect Norman since 1950. The last major tornado to strike Norman was in 1949. That spring an F-4 tornado moved into what would become the residential areas of SW Norman today and then moved northeast through the intersection of Main and SW 36th St, crossing near where the mall is today and then crossing interstate 35 where all of the resteraunts and the mile of cars now sit, then crossed through the country club area and through the airport and then finally passed through the northeast sections of town. A repeat of that event today would surely be a major disaster considering all of the housing and businesses that now sit in that part of Norman. Several other events affected the Norman area before the 1949 tornado as well. Whenever warnings are issued, please take them seriously, whether you live in OKC, Moore, Norman, or any city.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM

330 posts, read 970,371 times
I think I forgot to mention the flooding when it rains. Holy, no good sewer system, Batman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma