Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 PM

41 posts, read 168,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Just curious if anyone is from Oklahoma that lives here. Most people I have met in church, stores or neighbors are from somewhere else. They move here because of jobs etc. I am not from here and neither is my husband. He moved here for a job and I moved here when I married him!
Frankly, my parents retired up here and I tried it out. My Step is a native. I plan to move to OKC, or back home to DFW. When I finish school, I'm back to a city. As long as it's a city, I'm good.

(Native Texan)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 10:17 PM

Default Native Oklaomans

Quote:
I have no idea....thats what is puzzling. Is it a welcome laugh or a just wait and see laugh. I have seen the ice storm, a little of the flooding and wouldnt want to see the brush fires I dont think.
I grew up in Texas and its the wind laugh. The wind always blows in this place, except when it gets hot. The wind blows 50 miles an hour, or more, until it gets hot. 105 degrees, no wind. If it's 20 degrees and snowing, the wind blows 70 mph, freezes pipes, cuts off electricity, so you scramble. Alaska natives say this is worse in Winter, because of the wind.

We only get fires when the wind is STILL blowing and we don't get rain. I got the "laugh", then I drove between two tornadoes. I give the "laugh" and I'm not native. If you live here long enough, you'll laugh at newcomers, in the same way, after you see freaky weather.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
Yeh, part of that is being so close to Texas.....which has kind of a larger than life persona in the minds of Americans from all over the United States. It's similar with Arkansas; a lot of times OK and AR get overlooked because of our proximity to TX. Many of my buds from AR have said they always kind of felt like they were from "Texas Jr." Obviously, for any Okies that have deep roots in the Sooner State such a thought is repugnant....we're proud to be Okies, but some of this pride (that many out-of-staters experience) is a result of the unbridled arrogance of many folks from Texas. That's why it is always so fun to spank the Shorthorns in the Red River Shootout.....knock that chip off of those Texans' shoulders a bit
Europeans hate Texans, from what I hear. They think we're low-class and white trash. I guess they haven't seen Okie trailers with big tires on the metal roofs.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetkiller View Post
Europeans hate Texans, from what I hear. They think we're low-class and white trash. I guess they haven't seen Okie trailers with big tires on the metal roofs.
Easy now, don't get hateful on us.

I have been all over Texas (I've lived in Fort Worth for 5 years) and I love everything about Texas except the Texas Longhorns. Fort Worth feels a lot like OK City actually. The people are great here and it's a great family oriented town.

Yes, Okies are generally Redneck/Country Folk, but we wear that title as a badge of honor

Old 07-21-2008, 07:50 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times
Quote:
Frankly, my parents retired up here and I tried it out. My Step is a native. I plan to move to OKC, or back home to DFW. When I finish school, I'm back to a city. As long as it's a city, I'm good.

(Native Texan)
Do you prefere Texas or Oklahoma?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I grew up in Texas and its the wind laugh. The wind always blows in this place, except when it gets hot. The wind blows 50 miles an hour, or more, until it gets hot. 105 degrees, no wind. If it's 20 degrees and snowing, the wind blows 70 mph, freezes pipes, cuts off electricity, so you scramble. Alaska natives say this is worse in Winter, because of the wind.

We only get fires when the wind is STILL blowing and we don't get rain. I got the "laugh", then I drove between two tornadoes. I give the "laugh" and I'm not native. If you live here long enough, you'll laugh at newcomers, in the same way, after you see freaky weather.
I hope to give that laugh but this past 10 months, I have been experiencing it all and am not quite laughing yet

Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,847 times
I moved here for the same reason. my husband got good work here and I followed! Moved here from Oregon.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
I lived in many places in Texas, and I can say for sure that I much prefer Oklahoma.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I lived in many places in Texas, and I can say for sure that I much prefer Oklahoma.
Are you from Oklahoma

Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Are you from Oklahoma
she is now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma