Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:47 PM

55 posts, read 146,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
He's 16? Watch out OkieWolf, payback time is coming I just hope his name isn't Scott.
No, his name isn't Scott either. But, you're probably right about payback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:19 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,441,833 times
Goin to my dad's farm property to catch bass and catfish....the thrill of a young boy's heart. You can bet I'll be taking my sons out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieWolf View Post
This thread is for stories from folks who have grown up in Oklahoma. Share some of your childhood stories and/or what it was like for you growing up here.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:29 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,809,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
Goin to my dad's farm property to catch bass and catfish....the thrill of a young boy's heart. You can bet I'll be taking my sons out there
I could never catch a darn thing. I have to be THE WORST fisherman in the entire world. I've even gone out with people to the lake that championed their favorite fishing spot and said they have NEVER failed to catch fish there.

Sure enough, when I go NOBODY catches anything. I like to fish, but not when I don't even get a bite.. Therefore, I never go anymore.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
Oh yea!! Definitely!
Ok, here's one of my fishin' stories.

We had this one pond in particular that I loved to fish and swim in. It was a pretty big pond and had been there for many years. It has a creek running through it and old stumps all over it. It also has an actual island out in it that is pretty much just a big beaver lodge.

Anyway, the crappie, bass, and catfish were thick in this pond and I spent many days and nights of my youth at this pond. Once I got old enough to drive I started setting trot lines in it for catfish. I would tie the line between stumps and always caught several at a time. Awesome! But, the way I was doing it was to swim out to one end where I had the trot line tied off. Then I would just swim down the line until I came to a fish. I brought a stringer out there with me so when I found one I took it off the hook and put it on the stringer then move on to the next one. Once I had completely ran the trot line I would swim back to shore, put the fish in a bucket of water until I could get them back home, then get some fresh bait (usually shrimp or chicken liver) and swim back out and re-bait the line.

Dad would never buy me a boat for some reason. Too expensive I guess. But, I did get him to let me buy a blow up rubber raft. I think we may have gotten it at TG&Y, I don't remember. It didn't matter though because I had a blast with it going swimming and taking it with me. So now I could float around and swim or whatever. Very cool!

Naturally it occurred to me that I now had a better way of running trot lines and I didn't have to swim.
So, that's what I started doing. But of course, that didn't last long. Here's why. Anyone that knows anything about catfish knows that they have sharp spines on either side of their head. And anyone that knows anything about catfish knows that they will attempt to stab you with them if they can. And anyone that knows anything about catfish spines knows that if you do get stabbed with one IT HURTS....and itches.
So, that being said, I was running the trot line one day. I had forgotten to bring my stringer with me this time. What to do, what to do. I know, I'll lay them down on their belly, between my legs, on the bottom of the raft and if I be real still they shouldn't flop around. NOT! After I had about four laying there they decided they wanted back in the water. They all started flopping all around at the same time. I did my best to wrestle them back into submission but it was obvious it was futile. Soon enough one of them landed on it's side. Even amongst all the commotion I could hear the faint sound of air escaping from the raft. Yes, that's right, the cat punctured the raft....not just once....not the same catfish. Now I'm not paying much attention to the fish. Instead I'm trying to keep from sinking because I'm fully dressed and not looking forward to swimming when I hadn't planned to. So now I'm out in the middle of the pond, the raft hissing like a cat at a dog, and I'm paddling as hard as I can. But this is also a futile effort because the raft has lost enough air that its getting soft so it's sort of like trying to paddle a cardboard box upstream....ain't gonna happen. Then the raft starts going down but because of me sitting in it the raft folds in half so that now I'm sandwiched between the front and back and am more straddling it then sitting in it. Finally I gave up because I was already wet. I rolled out of it, grabbed it, and swam back to shore pulling it with me. I finally got out of the water, through the limp raft in the back of the pickup, and went home.

And, yes, the fish got away. It was nothing short of mutiny.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:36 PM

Exclamation Super Bass

At the same pond from the previous story, me and a friend were fishing. We fished most of the previous afternoon, stayed all night there, then got up to fish in the morning. The rubber raft was now a distant memory because now I had a flat bottom aluminum boat. So, the plan was to be out on the water at daylight, which is what we did. I'm amazed we managed to get up that early.

Anyway we were fishing at daylight. We had caught a few crappie and a few smaller bass. We were having a good time just going around all the stumps and all around the pond. If you've never been out on the water in the middle of the woods at daylight you are really missing something! It is the most awesome thing! Critters are waking up, birds are singing, the air is light and clean, and the water is as smooth as glass. AWESOME!

So, we decided to go over by the island (see previous story) and try our luck. It's deeper water over there and we thought we might catch some bigger fish. There's one spot where the water sort of makes a little cove. Not big (maybe about 3 feet) but big enough for a fish to be up in. I noticed the water swirling around there so I new there must be a fish there and the swirls were good size. So I tossed my spinner into that area. I must have hit him right on the nose because the second the spinner hit he took off with it and the fight was on. The reel I was using was an open faced Garcia with 30 pound test line on it that I had been using for catfish at the lake so I felt confident in pulling hard. I fought him for maybe 10 minutes. Finally I guess I wore him out because I was able to get him to the side of the boat. All I saw was his head and mouth come to the surface next to the boat but he was huge. We had a net and I was telling my buddy to use it but he didn't. He was going to just reach down and grab his lip. But, as soon as he touch him the bass turned 180 degrees and went straight to the bottom. I hadn't changed the line on the reel in quite a while and I guess catching catfish with it weakened it because when the fish turned and went straight down the rod bent as far as it could then the line broke. But, it didn't just break, it sounded like a .22 going off. I had stood up partially when he turned so when the line broke I fell on my back to the floor of the boat. The boat was rocking back and forth and I was....ummm....very upset (to be nice about it). I yelled several obscenities and colorful metaphors at my "buddy" and asked him why he didn't use the net. He said he didn't know and that he was just trying to get the fish in boat quickly. We fished a little more but after loosing a fish like that it was not very exciting to catch anything smaller. We eventually gave up and went home. I eventually calmed down and wasn't mad at him anymore and we went fishing many more times.

It's strange thinking back on those days now though. It was about 15 or so years later he was driving a salt water truck going around to pumpers for a living and was married with two kids. One day they were all four in the truck and were on their way back from a well and were going to go to the lake or something (I don't remember exactly). He came around a curve too fast loaded down and the water all went to one side and the truck turned over on top of a bridge railing. It killed all four of them.

I don't mean to bring anybody down but you just never know.

Last edited by OkieWolf; 06-20-2008 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 03:33 PM

Good stories OkieWolf!

Old 06-20-2008, 03:48 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,441,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Good stories OkieWolf!
Those are some great fishing stories OkieWolf. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I pray his family is holding up and that his wife and kids have been able to move on and still have a good life.

One of my favorite fishing stories was when I was pond hoppin' with my brother....yes, this was probably not legal But I landed a 7 lb bass on this other guy's pond and it was only about 300 yards from our land. So I ran down and put him in our pond. (I never caught him again, so I didn't ever know if someone else caught him out of there or maybe he didn't live.....probably God's punishment for my trespassing

Another time I remember was when I was having a great day...I had caught something like 10 catfish in 2 hours. Well, on one of the fish I got to close to the water and fell in. It was a typically blazing hot July afternoon in South Central OK, so I just took off all my wet cloths (covered in Red Dirt of course) and fished the rest of the day in my underwear and cowboy boots. My brother still likes to talk about that one...tells it to all my new friends so they can know my "roots"

Old 06-20-2008, 04:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,807,793 times
You guys can tell the stories... I just show pictures.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/Band44fish.jpg (broken link)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/fishpost2.jpg (broken link)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/Band12lbbluecat.jpg (broken link)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/Jandherbluecat.jpg (broken link)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/CandJsbluecat.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-20-2008, 04:36 PM

That first pic... The catfish is HUGE!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:35 PM

625 posts, read 1,580,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
You guys can tell the stories... I just show pictures.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/Band44fish.jpg (broken link)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/CandJsbluecat.jpg (broken link)
This ole boy on the bottom looks like he may have been noodling for that cat,but how about that top one....tell me it was on a pole or trotline....I don't even want to think about reaching in that mouth What's the story LadyRobyn? I haven't been noodling since I moved out here from OK and I kinda miss it...They gots gators out here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma