Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:45 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times

Advertisements

Them's still some pretty tall mountains MK! I love mountains, of any size. I could live in any state relatively close to mountains and be happy. There's just something about hills/mountains that make me feel comfortable. Even if they are just little hills, I just like some variety in the topography - it doesn't have to be a lot, just something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:50 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
True. The mountains in Oklahoma and Arkansas are nothing compared to the Cascades, the Sierra Nevadas, the Rockies, or really even the Appalachians.

Generally they run from around 1600 ft to 2800 ft in height; a far cry from the 13000 foot and up monstrosities (albeit beautiful monstrosities) you will find in Idaho, California, Colorado, and elsewhere.

They are mere hills in comparison. Technically they are mountains but you won't see any snowy peaks 15 miles in the distance.
The mountains in eastern OK, northern Arkansas, and southern MO are all the same, the Ozarks. I love them, I grew up roaming around them. But they are the oldest chain in the northern continent, so they are pretty thoroughly worn down. But the ones in Alaska - and there are 5 separate ranges - are a lot younger. Denali [or Mount McKinley, if you prefer] is over 20,300' and clearly visible from Anchorage on a clear day. That's a far, far cry from the Rockies my then-in laws were so proud of. And that's why my kids weren't impressed. Unfortunately, they were also too young to make appropriate noises about how wonderful the Rockies were. I always liked the Rockies too, especially since my grandfather took the family on a road trip just after the turn of the century and climbed Pike's Peak with a Model T!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:48 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
I'll never forget the time I climbed Pike's Peak in a VW bus loaded with camping stuff. It really did not have enough power to get up those grades!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I'll never forget the time I climbed Pike's Peak in a VW bus loaded with camping stuff. It really did not have enough power to get up those grades!
Neither did the Model T at the end. At least, it got them up, and it got them down, but they had to buy another one to go back home!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 PM

Well, I'm glad they had the wherewithal to buy another one. We would have been sunk if we had ruined the bus. Come to think of it, the bus didn't last very long after that anyway. I remember that as a very scary experience. Plus, we went straight from the altitude of OK and drove up the peak. I was sick as a dog at the top so we couldn't even stay up there long. Oh, the good old days.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Did you get a pop in your ears?

Back then they didn't have the Carburetors set up for high alttitude, there's less oxogen and it caused the engines to run rich. (too much gas) They needed an even mixture of gas and air to run right.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:14 PM

26 posts, read 138,227 times
Thank you both - that makes me feel like I should move right away <g> Of course, I have to wait until summer to do this but I'm really looking forward to the move - thanks again for the info!!

Old 01-23-2008, 03:23 AM

26 posts, read 138,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
That's where I am, too! At least not the really really rainy part, just seriously waterlogged - everywhere around is wetlands, either official or unofficial.

I also waffled a bit between Arkansas and Oklahoma. I'd suggest going to the forum there and reading some of the posts. That's what I did, and that's why I settled on OK. But I have to warn you, if you've lived your whole life in WA, the Ozarks won't look like mountains. Rugged woodlands and hills with deep cuts - and they can be beautiful, I grew up on the edge - but they are mountains in name only, not like the Cascades. (snip)
I realize that the 'mountains' won't be like the cascades but as long as they're decent, I'll be fine. I lived for a short time in KC, MO and can still remember being taken to the 'mountain' (singular of course) and the lake - basically to my mind it was a hill and a puddle LOL Does sound like Tahlequah,OK area will do tho. Now I need to figure out a nice quiet rural suburb close to Tahlequah to focus on and that will be great. Thanks again for your post - that was a big help!!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM

You are making a good choice, moonmaiden. We look forward to hearing from you again.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:42 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
LOL. I used to drive a VW bug. I know what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma