U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-15-2008, 10:04 AM

3,701 posts, read 5,509,028 times
I remember a cartoon I saw ages ago - a man on a psychiatrist's couch, shaking, and the shrik says "what seems to be your problem?" The guy stutters back "I designed the LA freeway system."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-15-2008, 03:39 PM

23,943 posts, read 10,347,406 times
Our town in Southeast Los Angeles was known as "billy-goat acres", due to all the okies and arkies living there.

California Okie Subculture

California Okies

Everybody said "ya'll" and "dang", and to make it even more okie, there were so many Indians there and most of them came from Oklahoma and Indian Territory.

Unread 06-28-2008, 12:30 AM

105 posts, read 193,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_moby73 View Post
having someone hold a door open for you even when they are in a hurry
Thats one of the things I miss the most. I grew up in the pacific northwest and now live in northern ca. You don't even know how many times I've held a door open for someone and they don't even say a simple thanks or thank you. More times than I can count.

Unread 06-28-2008, 03:39 PM

9,163 posts, read 5,876,292 times
I love this thread. In two months when my lease is over I'll be moving there from California. I'm so excited. I've been wanting to get out of Southern California for years and finally the chance has come.

What I'm looking for is everything that the ex-californians in this thread have found. As for people being friendly, I've been checking prices for things planned to be bought there...long drive to drag old furnature at current gas prices... and one very nice lady welcomed me to the town even if I hadn't moved in.

I'm a native, but this isn't the same California, or at least so cal, that I grew up in. No wonder so many long time residents are leaving.

Unread 06-28-2008, 03:54 PM

13,387 posts, read 8,977,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I love this thread. In two months when my lease is over I'll be moving there from California. I'm so excited. I've been wanting to get out of Southern California for years and finally the chance has come.

What I'm looking for is everything that the ex-californians in this thread have found. As for people being friendly, I've been checking prices for things planned to be bought there...long drive to drag old furnature at current gas prices... and one very nice lady welcomed me to the town even if I hadn't moved in.

I'm a native, but this isn't the same California, or at least so cal, that I grew up in. No wonder so many long time residents are leaving.
I'll give you an early welcome and congradulations! for following the rest of us and knowing exactly which destination is the best.

I pulled a small U-Haul trailer. Just take RT66 aka I-40 all the way to Oklahoma City.
Being from CA. I know your use to the view of mountains. Just remember, once you get through the mountains in NM,... no more, at least high enough to be snow caped.

Unread 06-29-2008, 10:03 AM

32 posts, read 70,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen cat View Post
Thats one of the things I miss the most. I grew up in the pacific northwest and now live in northern ca. You don't even know how many times I've held a door open for someone and they don't even say a simple thanks or thank you. More times than I can count.
That's when I say really loud (YOU'RE WELCOME!!).

Unread 06-29-2008, 03:44 PM

9,163 posts, read 5,876,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I'll give you an early welcome and congradulations! for following the rest of us and knowing exactly which destination is the best.

I pulled a small U-Haul trailer. Just take RT66 aka I-40 all the way to Oklahoma City.
Being from CA. I know your use to the view of mountains. Just remember, once you get through the mountains in NM,... no more, at least high enough to be snow caped.
I visited a friend where I bought and really wished I didn't have to go home except for the dog and cat (who are still watching to make sure I don't get away). I was warned it was "windy" but where I live is a wind tunnel so it didn't seem windy at all. The scenery is beautiful without mountains, and the hills in the local vicinity here are growing houses now as they are running out of flat land to build them. The best part was sitting on one of the roads above town. The engine was off and there was *silence*. Never really heard it before except when we went up to no cal into the area around Redding, and a tiny little town for vacation (and didn't want to leave then, either)

Thanks for the welcome. Its going to be along two months.

I'll have to note the route. I'd love to see NM in a car where we can stop and explore a bit. I have spectacular pics from the train, but never got to see past the window. We're going to rent a small van so if it squishes it goes in space bags lol

and YAAH to Route 66!

Unread 06-29-2008, 04:45 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,848,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I was warned it was "windy" ........
Oklahoma is NOT windy......Oklahoman's ARE!

Unread 06-29-2008, 06:11 PM

3,837 posts, read 3,221,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Oklahoma is NOT windy......Oklahoman's ARE!
Yep, we're all story tellers full of hot air.....but in a good way. Or maybe our windiness just comes from all the fried food?!?!

Unread 06-29-2008, 08:21 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,895,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid View Post
That's when I say really loud (YOU'RE WELCOME!!).

I usually get the urge to make automatic door noises when people don't thank me for opening the door.

But yes, common courtesy is becoming rare in half of California because there are people who won't even acknowledge or thank you for opening the door for them.

Tim C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma