Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:34 AM

105 posts, read 478,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
I'm sure many of you have seen this. I get a kick out of it....enjoy

Things I have learned living in Oklahoma

1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in Oklahoma .
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Oklahoma plus a couple no one's seen before.
4. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.
5. Onced and twiced are words.
6. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy
7. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic.
8. People actually grow and eat okra.
9. Fixinto is one word
10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.
11. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!
12. Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'
13. 'Jeet?' is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'
14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you' re done or it's too dark to see.
15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM OKLAHOMA IF:
1. You measure distance in minutes.
2. You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' during the same day.
3. You use 'fix' as a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store'.
4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
6. You know what a 'DAWG' is.
7. You carry jumper cables in your pickup...for your OWN pickup.
8. You only own four spices: salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.We make our own B-B- Que Sauce !!!
9. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.
10. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
11. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm'.
12. You know all four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, still Summer and Christmas.
13. You know whether another okie is from, north or south as soon as they open their mouth.
14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin' Wal-martin' or goin to "Wally-world"..
15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good pinto-bean weather. Best meal in the world is Beans, Fried Potatoes and Hot Cornbread and Butter !!! AMEN TO THAT!!
16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop. it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?' Answer: "Dr. Pepper."
17. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
18. We don't need no stinking driver's ed....if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.
19. You understand these jokes and forward them to your friends from Oklahoma (and those who just wish they were).

OKIE = Oklahoma, Key to Intelligence and Enterprise

Not EVERYONE can be an okie, it's an art form and a gift from God
This is no different then alabama, mississippi or georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 01:16 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I'd still take a chance - a smaller town or a suburb wouldn't be the same as being in the middle of crop dusting and pollen, and there aren't that many tractors in them other than the little ones people use for transportation, .
It is if that small town or suburb (although I yet have to come across a "suburb" in that part of the state) is smack in the middle of farming country.

What bothers me about the original post is that people move here and bring their objections with them. When I lived on Cape Cod it was the same nighmare .... people moving in and complaining about my -agri zoned- farm and people buying a house for a really good price close to the airport and then complain about the noise of the planes.

If somebody is bothered by weeds, grass, spraying and tractors driving on the road (never mind that that road may be part of a big ranch), then country living is not a good choice. A person like that needs to move to a city or suburb.

Durant is mostly a college town. But as it is a mall, rural town I am sure there is plenty of agriculture around.

Last edited by Annemieke Roell; 07-19-2008 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-19-2008, 01:53 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Thumbs up Right on Schousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
It is if that small town or suburb (although I yet have to come across a "suburb" in that part of the state) is smack in the middle of farming country.

What bothers me about the original post is that people move here and bring their objections with them. When I lived on Cape Cod it was the same nighmare .... people moving in and complaining about my -agri zoned- farm and people buying a house for a really good price close to the airport and then complain about the noise of the planes.

If somebody is bothered by weeds, grass, spraying and tractors driving on the road (never mind that that road may be part of a big ranch), then country living is not a good choice. A person like that needs to move to a city or suburb.

Durant is mostly a college town. But as it is a mall, rural town I am sure there is plenty of agriculture around.

Bjb123 and I live in the country, or atleast what we call the country, and we're always hearing city folks complain about the tractors or the farmers moving hay slowly down the road on wagons. Just make one want to reach over and slap them up-side the head, and say "shut up or move out".
A friend of mines Dad was spreading manure one Sunday morning and his neighbor went so far as to ask him to only do it on a week-day while they where at work and the wind was blowing away from their house. They moved out here from Cleveland. I asked him what his intentions are, his reply was "to do my job and ignore the idiots". I say, Kudo's to him.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,808 times
Post for schousse and seabeebolt

Thanks for your input. All the factors need to be considered before making a choice. Are there any other reasons that I should consider the NE US, besides the farming issues? I am not familiar with that area. Tell me about it; weather, cost of living, etc. Also, what type of farming takes place in SE OK and on what scale?
I need to clarify my original post because I am not trying to criticize anyone's way of life.
I grew up in the country so I didn't think much of moving back to the country. However, I wasn't in a farming area the first time. It was mostly beef and dairy cattle and agriculture was on a small scale. Here in the delta, they don't handle cattle that much, but they farm thousands of acres with rice, corn, cotton, soybeans and wheat. Some of these people are friends of mine and I admire them for taking a chance with all the uncontrollable factors that they have to deal with. The deal with the tractors is more of a safety hazard to me because these are huge combines that take up both lanes of the road without hazard lights or a pickup truck following with his flashers on. I am not talking about a private road on someones land either. I am talking about major highway and interstate roads. This stuff makes me really nervous because I know what is going on and what to do, but some people are not locals and they are not expecting this and that is why it is a safety hazard issue. It is really hard for me to understand why things are the way that they are. I could probably get used to the tractors if I didn't have the mosquitos and allergies to deal with.
As for living in town, I was told not to because of the crime rate which comes from the poverty, illiteracy and drug use that seems to be worse every day. I work at a hospital in the town of Clarksdale, MS. I have a 30-45 min. commute depending on traffic and when I get to work I have to deal with vandalism and armed robbery on my way inside from so- called "secure" parking. After a maze of badge swipes, passwords and locked doors, then I have the joy of trying to help someone who is going through detox with dialysis or wound care for a gun shot wound or better yet intensive care for a drug induced stroke.
As you can see, I need a change and for the better. I want to get somewhere that I feel like I make a difference and my day isn't so chaotic. I would prefer to live close to work and not commute, but as you can see that is not an option here. In Durant, I will be able to live close to work and their crime rate is much lower than it is here.
Sorry, I rambled on so, but I just don't want you to get a bad impression of me.

Bye,
Hopeless

Old 07-19-2008, 05:23 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
NO mater where you live the cost of living is going to be high. But I will say this, STAY AWAY FROM OHIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sucks up here in the winter by the lake and the people are just plain rude. Unless you like alot of heavy traffic and crime, then come on up. It seems that every day we see on the news that there was another shooting in Cleveland, or another company closed its doors and moved out of the state. Even out here in the country the neighbors are a pian in the backside. "Why?" Because they moved out here from the city, and brought they're problem children with them. Which I refer to as "Two Legged Targets" .

Old 07-19-2008, 07:55 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post

I totally forgot about the original post! I was thinking more of outskirts of Tulsa or OKC, actually.

But yeah, there was a lot of that 'gotta make it just like what we mvoed away from' in AK, too. And it was the newcomers who caused the most trouble one way or another. Once when I still lived on the lake in the woods, a bunch of hikers showed up in the backyard, all the dogs were having fits barking their heads off at strangers. So I went out and asked who they were looking for. They said they'd called someone who said there was a 10' public easement around all the lakes and they were going around the lake - I said You're more than 10' from the water, you're in my yard. They said back, Yes, but there's a cliff at the edge of the water, we're going around. I said, No, you aren't. This is private property - if you can't make it around within 10' of the water, go back the way you came. They were pretty upset, but I can be fairly nasty when I want - especially when a bunch of idiots come into MY yard with their dogs running loose chasing my chickens and cats and snarling at my dogs, who were all on running lines! They weren't going to leave either, until I went back inside and got a rifle and said I was going to shoot the first dog that killed one of my chickens. Then they said they were going to complain to someone, but I never heard any more about it.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I totally forgot about the original post! I was thinking more of outskirts of Tulsa or OKC, actually.

But yeah, there was a lot of that 'gotta make it just like what we mvoed away from' in AK, too. And it was the newcomers who caused the most trouble one way or another. Once when I still lived on the lake in the woods, a bunch of hikers showed up in the backyard, all the dogs were having fits barking their heads off at strangers. So I went out and asked who they were looking for. They said they'd called someone who said there was a 10' public easement around all the lakes and they were going around the lake - I said You're more than 10' from the water, you're in my yard. They said back, Yes, but there's a cliff at the edge of the water, we're going around. I said, No, you aren't. This is private property - if you can't make it around within 10' of the water, go back the way you came. They were pretty upset, but I can be fairly nasty when I want - especially when a bunch of idiots come into MY yard with their dogs running loose chasing my chickens and cats and snarling at my dogs, who were all on running lines! They weren't going to leave either, until I went back inside and got a rifle and said I was going to shoot the first dog that killed one of my chickens. Then they said they were going to complain to someone, but I never heard any more about it.
You go, girl!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:11 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starting over from MS View Post
.....It was mostly beef and dairy cattle and agriculture was on a small scale. Here in the delta, they don't handle cattle that much, but they farm thousands of acres with rice, corn, cotton, soybeans and wheat.
Mostly the ag enterprises around here are ranches and grain crops. There is a little cotton up around Tonkawa, a LOT of wheat in the western half of the state and some isolated wheat or soy crops elsewhere. But most of the land is graze.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:45 PM

56 posts, read 264,446 times
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
You go, girl!
Sounds like TN where I was born and bred. Guess I'll get a rifle or two when I get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma