U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:05 AM

94 posts, read 438,185 times
I don't know. My mother (who lives in Sand Springs) gets acupressure treatments and, I believe, has had acupuncture. She swears by it, as she has a rare form of Parkinson's Disease that affects her neck muscles so that she sometimes has a hard time holding her head up, and acupressure is the only thing that has relieved it when Oxycontin, muscle relaxers, and even Botox injections could not.

If her poodle, Fugly, were ever to fall ill, I believe she might resort to holistic measures.

Not everyone in Tulsa is a farmer. Few, in fact, are. And the ones that are seem to be handling this "newfangled," technologically charged 21st century quite well. They have been receptive to things such as government-mandated satellite-linked PDA's to regulate pest control and other agricultural concerns. If anything, holistic medicine for pets might be better embraced by farmers than by anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Hello,
. . . The thing is that along with traditional medicine I also use alternatives like acupuncture, herbs, home made diets, etc.
I don't know about the whole area and I was only able to find one holistic vet in Tulsa -- I don't know how well the business does. I think the low cost spay and neuter as well as a pet sancuary might be a good selling point. Perhaps a boarding place. Personally, I would support you, and I have two cats and two dogs.

In fact, I'm looking for a holistic vet right now in the hopes of saving my dogs life. As I said, the only one I found was in the city of Tulsa, and I found this when I was looking for his phone number again.

If you can help me fix cancer or think you have some good holistic health options, please e-mail me. pippin_the_grey@sbcglobal.net. I'd gladly pay

Old 05-22-2007, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,047 times
Default Did you move to Sapulpa?

Hi Quincy,

I enjoyed reading your post and the reponses to your question about Sapulpa, Oklahoma. I've lived in Massachusetts, the Bay Area as well as about a dozen other states. I think you'll find Oklahoma quite pleasant and a neat place to live. The people are solid, loyal and fun to be around. You can find the arts, opera and a rodeo as well.

So, did you move yet? I'll drive the two and a half hours to Sapulpa to have you treat my dog if you do. I'm so tired of visiting vets (as well as Docs) who want to treat symptoms not causes of illness. We have a "border collie" mix (well mixed) who is twelve and for the last few months has had a major problem with hot spots. We've tried changing his diet (we are basically vegan) but have fed him several different kinds of food from canned salmon to Wellness products several other esoteric "non allergenic" foods with no luck.

The vet just wants to give him cortisone shots and put some ointment on the sores that have developed from his biting himself. Your post about bromaline (sp) as an anti inflammatory sounded interesting. Would that help him in this scenario? Well, I'm not trying to get free veterinary care but if you're moving please let us know. We'll be up from Davis, OK to see you.

Blessings,
Al

Old 05-23-2007, 05:11 AM

15 posts, read 49,506 times
Hi Tracer,

Surprised to see your post today. Funny you mention southern OK because we haven't moved yet and may be looking at the Ardmore area also. Do you prefer southern OK vs. Tulsa area? We are moving this summer and really looking forward to it. I didn't buy the practice I was looking at but loved the area and we are going to buy property in Oklahoma and just start from scratch-try to live out the American dream I guess.

Anyway, hot spots have several causes. If they are only during the spring/summer/fall then you have seasonal allergies to pollens, grasses,etc. If during the winter also (ie all year round) you have a food allergy. Either way a clean diet will help. I novel protien diet such as a venison based diet-your vet has these diets in stock - may help. Raw meat diets can benefit also but are quite expensive and you have to be careful with salmonella, etc. Bromelain given daily may make a little difference also. Can get at health food stores. If I were to see your dog I would also prescribe a chinese herbal combo for him. I think there's a guy in Tulsa already doing some holistic medicine. You may be able to find him in the tulsa yellow pages. something like Hunters Glen vet was the name. Also, I would be surprised that OKC or Dallas didn't have someone you could go to. Whatever you decide, remember it will be a process of healing and not a quick fix.

Good luck to you and thanks for the post.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 AM

11,882 posts, read 24,269,539 times
A good Veterinarian is an asset to any community. We just had to take our small dog to the vet yesterday; it appears he has a damaged disc in his neck. Don't know how it happened but he just came back in from outside the day before yesterday and was acting very strange, all humped over. The Vet gave us prednisone (sp?) and muscle relaxants to give him for about two weeks (muscle relaxants on an as needed basis). I hope he'll be okay because I hate to see any animal in pain. BTW Quincy, I wish you the best in your move and hope you have a profitable business. For all of the years that a Veterinarian goes to school (as long as an MD correct), you deserve to earn a good living. I'm sure you'll love Oklahoma.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:02 AM

47,311 posts, read 37,282,119 times
Rob, I don't think what you have to say about politics is 100 % true. For years OK had a wonderful black congressman that was as conservative as they come. According to our grandson in law even though the governor is a democrat he is very far right. I think like other things in OK, politics may be changing, of course they have probably always been conservative even if the majority of the state are registered democrats.

Nita

Old 05-23-2007, 02:39 PM

4,134 posts, read 9,662,816 times
I had a border collie/aussie mix that got yeast infection on her skin. I went to a holistic doctor but never could cure her. We have a new border collie, and she is okay. One of my friends has an aussie and said that she never bathes her. I felt that the yeast may have come from frequent baths, so I don't bathe my border collie unless she rolls in something. i always thought that hot spots were due to an allergic reaction to fleas. Have you tried brewer's yeast?
Flea medication? How about googling the boards to find natural remedies?

Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 PM

9 posts, read 58,337 times
I noticed your posting regarding moving here to practice veterinary medicine and noticed that you already or someone did mention Hunter's Glen Veterinary Clinic. Dr. George Carley is the owner and I used to take my dog there till we moved to a different area, but he has been written up in the Tulsa newpaper quite often because he does quite a lot of alternative, holistic medicine on animals. I know he did accupuncture and other things. so if anyone is looking for one in Tulsa, he's located in the south Tulsa area close to 91st and Yale avenue. He's the only one I know for sure that does a combination type of medicine on animals.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 AM

20 posts, read 46,322 times
I think she should choose Henryetta too :-) but with 2 other vets there I doubt the area would support another. I am in Okemah just 20 miles away. My situation is with a quaker parrot having a growth on her vent that 5 vets say 'I dunno'. I've heard great things about Doctor Welch in Tulsa re avian but it costs so much to see him plus he pushes pellets in birds diet and I believe they cause kidney and liver damage. This is mostly found at necropsy so too late then.

I moved here in 1996 (from Monterey, California) so my hubby could retire and he got to enjoy 2 years then sick for 2 years before he passed away. I love the country and my 2 daughters are here too so this is good.

Quincy, I hope you let us know where you will be.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...andfamilyx.jpg

Old 08-06-2007, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,431 times
hi, I am from Sapulpa and if anyone from this area has read your question, I am sorry but you killed yourself when you said "I am not religous". we are the bible belt, unless the "churches" like you, you WILL be ran out of town. But I am not one of them, I won't tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma