Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
A loy of the attitude towards catfish on the coasts - the west coast, anyway - is because of where they are found. NO one wants to eat something that lives near a sewage plant outfall, no matter how 'safe' the plant says it is. Of course, crab are bottom feeders too,
Quote:
but no one wants to think about what they are scavenging,
especially when they are enjoying a crab louis.
What they don't know. won't hurt em'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 AM

763 posts, read 2,260,912 times
I love catfish!

Passage of House Joint Resolution 1089 is enough to let me know that a lot of Oklahomans are my kind of people.

Here's a story about crabs:

There was a lady whose husband disappeared while fishing on the Kenai River. She reported it to the Troopers, and about two weeks later, a very somber looking Trooper showed up at her door.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry to inform you that your husband apparently drifted out into the Inlet and capsized. We found him a week ago when we pulled him up off the bottom."

"Oh, that's terrible!" She paused and said, "A week ago? Why are you just now telling me?"

"Well, we brought up so many dungeness crabs with him that we decided to leave him there a little longer."

Kari, Kodiak and Homer are of similar size. How do you deal with the heat? I love the cool summers in the 60s, and I love the winters (although I wish they were a couple months shorter). My wife, however, would love a winter like our summer. She's from Puerto Rico originally, and grew up in Tennessee.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:31 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
I love catfish!

Passage of House Joint Resolution 1089 is enough to let me know that a lot of Oklahomans are my kind of people.

Here's a story about crabs:

There was a lady whose husband disappeared while fishing on the Kenai River. She reported it to the Troopers, and about two weeks later, a very somber looking Trooper showed up at her door.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry to inform you that your husband apparently drifted out into the Inlet and capsized. We found him a week ago when we pulled him up off the bottom."

"Oh, that's terrible!" She paused and said, "A week ago? Why are you just now telling me?"

"Well, we brought up so many dungeness crabs with him that we decided to leave him there a little longer."

Kari, Kodiak and Homer are of similar size. How do you deal with the heat? I love the cool summers in the 60s, and I love the winters (although I wish they were a couple months shorter). My wife, however, would love a winter like our summer. She's from Puerto Rico originally, and grew up in Tennessee.
Yeah, I have a few crab stories too, and they aren't jokes.

As for the heat - well, after 30+ years with 3 seasons - freeze-up, break-up, and road construction - I'm looking foward to seeing 4 again, even if the winters are a lot milder [I have a friend in Anchorage who keeps trying to convince me I need a self-feeding pellet stove, no matter how many times I tell her it just doesn't GEt that cold here]. As for the summer heat, I suggest doing outside stuff early mornings and late evenings, and spend the middle of the day in front of the air conditioner. That's the first thing my dog found! The air is drier, so it doesn't actually feel as hot as it is, similar to winter cold in Anch and Fairbanks, only there it's the cold you don't feel until it's too late if you aren't careful. Just remember to drink a lot of fluids.

Probably the biggest difference you'll find is what kind of weather shows up with the way the wind blows. On Kodiak, a north wind was always clear and cold [or cooler in the summer] because it came straight off the mountains and glaciers on the mainland. A southeaster was always wet, a west wind could get downright nasty. With the exception of tornados, it doesn't blow as hard here, but it's more steady. The bugs are different - there aren't any spruce beetles or no-see-ums. I've seen plenty of flies, but no deer flies [so far]. There are ticks and chiggers and mosquitoes, but the skeeters aren't as big or aggressive. there's a much larger variety of spiders, but they are mostly surprising, not dangerous. If you're bringing any pets along, I don't think you have to worry about lice, just get some of those monthly things like frontline or advantage that includes mosquito repellent for the ticks and fleas. And heartworm preventives. I couldn't get the heartworm stuff in WA because our vet said it didn't happen there, and now that I'm here I'm still looking for someone who will take me and the dog to the vet because they won't prescibe it until the dog's been tested first.

The people are great, they are just like the ones I found in Kodiak when I first got there - neighborly, friendly, willing to help if you just ask.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:30 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,912 times
How about car registrations? How much up front and how much annually? Is there an ad velorum (sp?) tax? Do you pay sales tax on vehicles?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 PM

13 posts, read 82,529 times
Default I love Bartlesville

It's amazing that a city the size of Bartlesville, with a county population of about 50,000 (a more true indication of an areas real feel than just looking at the population within the city limits), even has a city skyline the size that it does. It gives the place a sort of big city feel at times, but without all of the big city traffic. It's hard to explain. There are only a few cities in the country that are similar - with relatively small metro populations but with a handful of tall buildings in comparison to their population (not compared to OK City's or Tulsa's skyscrapers - which one would expect those cities to have). Just 90 minutes away is Joplin, Mo. and their metro population is at least 3 times the size of Bartlesville, Washington County, OK, BUT Joplin has a teeny, tiny city skyline compared to Bartlesville. Very strange. I would pick Bartlesville to live in over Joplin any day of the week.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:40 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Bartlesville has always been one of my favorite cities. It's a great place and I think you'll like it very much. BTW, it's NOT a big city. I think there are around 30,000 people, and as CG says, don't let the skyscrapers fool you.
What do you like about it? You know me, I want to see a historic downtown. Does it have one? What is there to see there?

Old 07-26-2008, 07:04 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
What do you like about it? You know me, I want to see a historic downtown. Does it have one? What is there to see there?

It has great architecture (Price Tower), a big city look but small town feel, and the whole city is beautiful. I haven't been there in 20 years but I was very impressed with the city.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c5/Price_tower.jpg (broken link)

Check out their website. I think you'd enjoy a visit up there.

City of Bartlesville, OK

http://visitbartlesville.com/virtual-tour.php?cat=1017

Old 07-26-2008, 02:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltologist View Post
It's amazing that a city the size of Bartlesville, with a county population of about 50,000 (a more true indication of an areas real feel than just looking at the population within the city limits), even has a city skyline the size that it does. It gives the place a sort of big city feel at times, but without all of the big city traffic. It's hard to explain. There are only a few cities in the country that are similar - with relatively small metro populations but with a handful of tall buildings in comparison to their population (not compared to OK City's or Tulsa's skyscrapers - which one would expect those cities to have). Just 90 minutes away is Joplin, Mo. and their metro population is at least 3 times the size of Bartlesville, Washington County, OK, BUT Joplin has a teeny, tiny city skyline compared to Bartlesville. Very strange. I would pick Bartlesville to live in over Joplin any day of the week.
Muskogee also has a rather surprising downtown for multi-story buildings but not near as much so as Bartlesville. Well back in history Muskogee used to be one of the biggest towns in Oklahoma, no. 3 or so.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:31 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Tulsa is in Tornado Alley. Tulsa metro is a million or more people. If you moved from a village of 4,,000 this area will take some getting used to. You might look at Sand Springs. I had an editor friend who lived there becuse he didn't like Tulsa Weather ... said most of the bad stuff missed his area.

Having said this, IF you do not have to take constant care of the senior perosn, you might like Grove. It is smaller, on Grand Lake, and there is plenty of opportunity and things to do. If that other person depends upon you, then you need to live nearby.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:36 AM

57 posts, read 237,563 times
We have friends who moved to Bartlesville in 2005 from the Central Valley of California. They love it!!! Haven't looked back. They love the people, the general community "attitude," their neighbors, etc.. In fact, their little girl is always running in and out of their homes (something you could never do here)! They all get together for minor holidays (like 4th of July) and even some major (like OU football!).

While we were there, we visited a wonderful little candle making factory. I can't remember the name, but you might google it and call and get their perspective on the arts community. They couldn't be friendlier.

My only concern is that so much employment is related to ConocoPhillips. If they were ever to leave the community, I'm sure there would be quite an effect. I can't believe that people could commute to Tulsa! It seemed way too far to me. (of course, I was driving there with two very tired (jet lag) little ones....)

To me, Bartlesville was one of those communities that isn't really a place to "vacation," but an awesome little place to live.

And, the bbq (I think it was Dinks) was awesome!!!!!! Once the food arrived, everyone was silent....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma