Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 02:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

In a couple of months I'll be moving to Cushing. The house is small (712 sf) and a renovation was almost finished when it was bought as is. While we're getting that finished we're considering the best options for various things.

The heating and cooling needs to be chosen and installed. The bid on a standard unit was what sounds high, 3500, but I have been told it was reasonable. We're also looking into more portable means of heating. No decision has been made and I'm looking at options.

Where I live it gets 110 all summer and the while its a desert there are too many lawns and shurbs and its a valley, so the humidity is muggy during the summer, yesterday 78 percent. I can deal with less than perfect in that regards. But heating is a concern.

I understand that central ac/heat is the best option, but is there a workable alternative that is not so costly? I'm not the one financing so I need to know experience and real advise.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:46 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
On a 700 foot house? I would use a wall mounted ventless gas heater and window units for A/C. You will have under $500 invested and you can install it yourself.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:03 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
You can buy a window unit that is both heat and a/c. I think the one my sister bought was about $400 at Sears, and they are really satisfied with it.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
On a 700 foot house? I would use a wall mounted ventless gas heater and window units for A/C. You will have under $500 invested and you can install it yourself.
Agreed! Our house is just about 1500sq ft and we have that exact set-up... 1 wall-mount gas heater, 1 window (220V) A/C, and a few ceiling fans. Our place stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I'd be happy to DM you the numbers for our yearly energy uses if you like.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:37 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Not living in Oklahoma "Yet", I like the Geo-Thermol system we had installed last year. We estimated that our heating and cooling savings has been around $90.00 a month. And the best part about it is, Not flammable gasses in the house, and our utility bills are only Electric and water.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Agreed! Our house is just about 1500sq ft and we have that exact set-up... 1 wall-mount gas heater, 1 window (220V) A/C, and a few ceiling fans. Our place stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I'd be happy to DM you the numbers for our yearly energy uses if you like.
Thats what we're looking at with the portable ac window unit which can be moved where its needed and dehumidifies. Also looking at on demand water heating units. Since the windows are smaller than normal a regular window ac unit wouldn't fit and I vetoed the idea of an apartment/motel dual unit (like the monstrositiy in my apt).

If the one ventless heating unit isn't enough, I would consider one of the small stoves for the kitchen too. One thing I like about the ventless heat is it will stay on if the power goes out.

I would love to hear your numbers. Feel free to pm me with them.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Not living in Oklahoma "Yet", I like the Geo-Thermol system we had installed last year. We estimated that our heating and cooling savings has been around $90.00 a month. And the best part about it is, Not flammable gasses in the house, and our utility bills are only Electric and water.
Sounds like you want out of Ohio as much as I want out of California.

Something like solar or geothermal and other like ideas are something I'm studying up on. Maybe in the future I can install something like that. I currently have an electic stove which has had "issues" and will be glad to have someone be using it.

My dream is to have some sort of sustanable power but unfortunately it is too expensive to install now.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:59 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Hey "nightbird48" It's going on to the winter of "09", so what was decided on?

Old 09-27-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Hey "nightbird48" It's going on to the winter of "09", so what was decided on?
LOL If I called myself that nobody would know it was me.

I have a ventless gas heater which sits between the living room and kitchen and kept it liveable all winter last year just fine. I use air flow fans to distribute the air all year round, just move them to different spots. The new kind aren't molded and can be opened and cleaned so maybe they won't get as choked up with fur. I have a troop of four footed kids. I use a ceramic heater for the office and bedroom but they are only on when I'm using the rooms. I'm trying to find a good configuration for air flow fans to get warm air in the office (actually the front/master bedroom) but it has a BIG window which defeats most efforts. Gonna work harder on fixing that problem this year. Thinking of shutters. Whoever put the big window on the unprotected side of the house was not thinking...

I've sealed up most of the air leaks and with the handy dandy spray foam should get the rest this year. I'm making my blackout blinds into a covered roman shade for the small windows, which helps them hang against the wall and seal better.

I'm also going to make a faux fireplace to sit the heater, since I can't put anything there. Might as well add to the decoration. Overall, I'd say that heating was a much less challenging problem than the really hot days we had. My rolling ac needed a hole drilled in the wall to drain out and shut off occasionally when it got too humid inside it. Its going to be replaced with a window unit. I figure the cost of installing something more overall in a 700 sf house is a bit of overkill.

Its been a pretty good year overall and I'm really glad I came!

Talked to relatives in California today. Its been over a hundred all week and supposed to continue. Its nice to not be there in a socal fall.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
It's over a year later and I assumed that stood for your age.

I have a small 1 bdrm house,approx, 600 s/f. I have a small gas wall heater and 2 window units. I found this summer that running both units, one most all day(not at night) and for most every day of the month, the other one half that amount of time. the cost comes to 14-20.00 per month.
I use a small oscallating fan to help circulate the cool air.
The gas wall heater does an excellent job heating the place. I turning it up on high until the chill is gone from all of the rooms. Drop it to low and even turn the gas valve down alittle. This keeps it just right. Winter heating costs me appox, 24-26.00 per month.Maybe alittle higher depending on the temprature.
My place isn't even insulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma