Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:51 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times

Advertisements

have problems with today's Microsoft's update? I spent an hour and a half on the phone with AT&T, and all they managed to come up with was deleting all my internet temp files and cookies. The deleted cookies is a major PITA - the last time that happened I had to call every single one of the companies I pay on line and have someone reset my accounts. And they gave me the MS technical support number, which took me first to the Philippines, then on to India, and it took about 10 minutes - including hold time - to get it fixed. Why don't the American techies know how to fix things over the phone so easily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,912 times
There was a virus going around today as an MS update. I hope it was either legit (which there was one of those as well) or your AV is updated.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:51 AM

No, it was a legit update. At least it is according to AT&T and Microsoft's customer support. What was frustrating was that the same blinking one showed up again today in the same 'update' folder, and when I removed it, everything works fine. I have AVG which has worked well so far, but now it wants me to PAY for a 'new, improved' version. Phooey.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
[quote=karibear;4397396 Why don't the American techies know how to fix things over the phone so easily?[/quote]

Kari, there are plenty of American techies who know how to fix things over the phone, but a lot of companies have opted to send those jobs overseas to save money on the cost of doing business.

Last edited by colleeng47; 07-10-2008 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: change wording

Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
No, it was a legit update. At least it is according to AT&T and Microsoft's customer support. What was frustrating was that the same blinking one showed up again today in the same 'update' folder, and when I removed it, everything works fine. I have AVG which has worked well so far, but now it wants me to PAY for a 'new, improved' version. Phooey.
Kari, the only probs I read about yesterday's update were for people who have Zone Alarm (firewall) something with the new update was incompatible with it...but they are working on a *fix*.

AVG is still free, you just need to go to the website and download the newest FREE version. The ads just make you think you have to pay.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Kari, there are plenty of American techies who know how to fix things over the phone, but a lot of companies have opted to send those jobs overseas to save money on the cost of doing business.
Maybe so, but the one from AT&T was definitely American, and she was definitely clueless.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Kari, the only probs I read about yesterday's update were for people who have Zone Alarm (firewall) something with the new update was incompatible with it...but they are working on a *fix*.

AVG is still free, you just need to go to the website and download the newest FREE version. The ads just make you think you have to pay.
I have ZoneAlarm, but it's disabled, so that shouldn't have made a difference. AVG keeps telling me I've used up my freebies, I need to PAY now, if I want any more.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Maybe so, but the one from AT&T was definitely American, and she was definitely clueless.
Yea, DH tells me there's plenty of those.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 PM

330 posts, read 970,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
No joke there, that's why I fix my own problems

Old 07-10-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techienomad View Post
No joke there, that's why I fix my own problems
That's easier said than done when one can't read the manuals - I can't even read the self-support sites, the fonts in them won't enlarge enough. My puter is a custom job, built by my techie friend back in WA, and even though he built it I still come up with things he's never heard of. And I don't think it's fair for me to call him and ask for help from OK, knowing that he'd never get another dime from me, even though he's a very nice person and wouldn't mind. I'd mind more than he would. But once I do run into a problem and fix it, I remember how - it's just that there always seem to be new problems popping up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma