U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 07:00 AM

595 posts, read 2,310,463 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to East Texas and have been hearing about this wonderful place that is only 140 miles from Tyler called Beaver Bend? I googled it and got a lot of information. Has anyone been there? I would love to know some more information. Not the kind the hotel/cottage web sites put out...but more personal opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 AM

11,878 posts, read 32,349,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
We recently moved to East Texas and have been hearing about this wonderful place that is only 140 miles from Tyler called Beaver Bend? I googled it and got a lot of information. Has anyone been there? I would love to know some more information. Not the kind the hotel/cottage web sites put out...but more personal opinions.
Beaver Bend is on the Southern edge of the Ouachita Mountains. It's a fantastic place near Broken Bow reservoir and is one of the favorite destinations for a lot of people in the DFW area (where I live).

If you camp or lodge at Beaver Bend make sure and visit Broken Bow lake, or take a short drive up 259 where you'll get into the Kiamichi mountains and Honobia. Honobia has a Bigfoot Festival every October, that would be a good time to visit.

Autumn is spectacular up there. I grew up just West of McAlester, which is on the Western edge of the Ouchita Mountains.

Here are a few pics of the Ouchita Mountains and Broken Bow Lake.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg145/keithpeery/HonobiaOklahoma.jpg (broken link)

http://www.travelok.com/graphics/media/photography/11.jpg (broken link)

http://www.beaversbendvacations.com/images/IMG_0848.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM

595 posts, read 2,310,463 times
That looks beautiful! I've been to Turner Falls when we live in the DFW area. Do you think it's about the same or better?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:15 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,349,273 times
Quote:
That looks beautiful! I've been to Turner Falls when we live in the DFW area. Do you think it's about the same or better?
There's no comparison in the least. First off, the Ouachita Mountains are far greater in size (height) and square miles than the Arbuckles (where Turner Falls is located).

Look at this terrain map. The red pin is where the arbuckle mountains are located. Off to the right off that pin and anywhere from 75 to 150 miles away, the Ouachita Mountains cover the entire Southeastern part of the state. As you can see, there really is no comparison, although I DO like the arbuckles and Turner Falls.

Last edited by Synopsis; 07-13-2008 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 PM

5,279 posts, read 7,113,593 times
Quote:
I'm from south-central OK and used to go to Turner Falls all the time. Turner Falls is cool but it is nothing compared to the area around Broken Bow. We used to have our family reunion @ Beaver's Bend in the summers....it is truly one of my favorite places on earth. Just a beautiful place as Synopsis' pictures show. You should definitely check it out.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:56 AM

41 posts, read 152,157 times
Quote:
A favorite camping, canoing spot for years! There's a canoe rental just on the other side of the state line, nice float. I think they only do Spring, maybe Summer. Primitive camping is mixed with people who bring generators, tv's and RV's. The raccoons will fight for your trash. They're brazen and nasty. Fall and Winter camping is fabulous! If you go in the summer, there's a train and stuff for kids. Horseback riding. Deer will attack you at sunset, by the showers.

There are really primitive sites on the other side of the damn. I don't know if you can camp on those sites. Personally, I would sleep up there and feign ignorance. I think they're only day spots.

People fly-fish in the river. It's supposed to have good trout. It's a really nice place to camp, hike, ride bikes and it's gorgeous.

Last edited by muppetkiller; 07-18-2008 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 07-19-2008, 08:20 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,089,825 times
Turner falls is nice.
The ouachitas and beavers bend are borderline spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or