Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 13,597 times

Advertisements

We are roaming around the internet trying to find a nice place to live in OK. Hobart seemed like a nice area. Chickasha did also, but the crime there might be a factor to stay away from that area. As I have read in many threads, people still are yearning for friendly towns and that is encouraging. That is also what we are looking for. It is far out, but need some info to make sure it has cable and internet access and all that good stuff, and necessary stuff. Sounds like we want it all, but it's not the case, just thinking of our kids. Thanks and really appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 02:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Hobart is losing population, so I wouldn't see much appeal about it.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:20 AM

41 posts, read 168,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doriselm View Post
We are roaming around the internet trying to find a nice place to live in OK. Hobart seemed like a nice area. Chickasha did also, but the crime there might be a factor to stay away from that area. As I have read in many threads, people still are yearning for friendly towns and that is encouraging. That is also what we are looking for. It is far out, but need some info to make sure it has cable and internet access and all that good stuff, and necessary stuff. Sounds like we want it all, but it's not the case, just thinking of our kids. Thanks and really appreciate any feedback.
You should ask about schools. Hobart's not a good town. It has a bad reputation. My niece is in band, softball, volleyball, has tons of trophies, she's in "Short Grass", travels the state and she's going to Europe next year. We live in Snyder, 30 miles South of Hobart. The schools are decent. Altus schools are okay. I know one really smart kid from Altus schools.

We have internet access, cable and satellite is better! We have a BBQ place, a pizza parlor and a hamburger joint. Hobart has a really cool place for kids to hang out, but Snyder doesn't. Hobart has some restaurants and 2 grocery stores. We don't have groceries.

Altus has a bowling alley, a theater, a college, a racetrack, a yearly rodeo and some restaurants. It's 30 miles away from Snyder and Hobart. We can get the basics in the country. Everything else is a drive.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 6,244 times
Default Hobart vs Snyder

Snyder is a dirty little town. Hobart may be losing population but its not losing their reputation for being a friendly, quiet, beautiful little town. Hobart's school system defintely needs work, but so does every other small town in southwest Oklahoma. All these small towns are about when it comes to the school system is MONEY. And whose family has the most. Snyder is well known for being a diry, drug and crime infested little town. High teenage pregnancy rate. The school system isn't decent either, its the same as every other place. What family has more money. Altus has a high gang rate as well as drugs and crime. You want a decent pretty little town. Sentinel, OK. The schools are good, the town is nice, people are friendly, but once again you run into the drug rate. AND I am not from Sentinel, OK. You see, these small towns do not have anything for a kid to do other than get into trouble. If the towns were to start thinking about putting some effort into getting something going for these kids the better these places will be, but that will never happen. OLD school mentality. WAKE UP people are kids are the new generation!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:25 AM

1 posts, read 6,168 times
Look plain and simple as a person that lives in Hobart, do not move here if you care about your children. Hobart is a retirement town. There is absolutely nothing for your children to do here. Nearly every student is either on drugs or on liquior and that goes for all the surrounding towns as well includeing Snyder. And no matter what those other two say about it they only see the quiet nice side. I just graduated from Hobart schools and trust me they suck bad. I am mearly speaking from a point of a graduate from hobart and if you care about your children dont move here.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,155 times
Your post says it all...

Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,830 times
While it's not the most "happening" place on the planet, it's still a nice little town. True there isn't much to do at all but you could do worse. I have 3 boys in the schools here, (one in each one). I think they (schools) are a bit behind other schools thats for sure but they are improving. Their band sucks though and sports is a hmmmmm let me thin of a way to put this........never mind I better not even go there. lmao
I have heard the drug thing but dont know of it first hand. I think it goes to the point...just watch ur kids like u would anywhere.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,723 times
does anyone know if altus is a good town or not? i am moving there in february and i am really nervous. someone please let me know.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 PM

491 posts, read 1,475,871 times
bri, I can't really say but maybe you should just post a new thread with Altus in the title. Then people who know about Altus will read it. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper0309 View Post
does anyone know if altus is a good town or not? i am moving there in february and i am really nervous. someone please let me know.
Well, like Hobart, Altus, too, has been losing people, so I would be wary about moving there. I was there once several years ago and I was struck by how faded and weather worn the buildings looked, like they need to really paint that town. But at least Altus doesn't look as bad as some of the poor towns of southeastern Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma