Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:30 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,330,656 times

Advertisements

Native, you probably ended up in a part of the state that didn't suit you. We have a friend who lived in a smaller town in OK and she hated it there. Yet, she has family that live near Tulsa and she drives down to visit every chance she gets. She has always felt that if she had ended up in a different area of the state, she would probably still be there.

She just found the town she was in to be stifling and judgmental. I guess every state has a few of those towns and maybe that's where you ended up. Is that a possibility?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:35 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,323,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Who"s Gene Stipe?
Senator that was quite corrupt. Ran all of Southeast OKfor 50 years until term limits went into effect. People in this area think he is a God. He just went to a mental prison and believe me in Southeast OK they love this man. In fact there is only one party in Southeast OK and unless you are of that party you can't vote. Serious, you can't vote.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:18 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,449,882 times
I do love the way everyone sticks up for this state.....its pretty cool! Oklahoma has a lot to be proud of namely the native okies.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:42 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,441,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native9 View Post
The following are the primary reasons why I cannot tolerate Oklahoma and why I want to leave this WRETCHED state ASAP:

1. The weather is SO EXTREME especially during winters & summers.
(from "furnace to freezer" & vice-versa within 6 months!)

2. The so-called "friendliness" that other posters describe on this site
about Okies, is largely superficial and not genuine( I speak from exp-
erience). They will smile and act friendly, face to face but when
they think that you are not listening, they will speak ill, even
hatefully of you!

3. I am REALLY FED-UP with the sports obsession, i.e. OU & OSU,
and recently the new NBA team coming to OKC from Seattle.

4. Oklahoma leads the nation in obesity(and a host of other health
problems - smoking/dipping tobacco, drug abuse,diabetes, etc.
I believe it is in the Top 10 - maybe Top 5! unhealthiest states!

5. It is often referred to as "The Buckle of the Bible Belt". This des-
ignation is not only misleading, but FALSE and HYPOCRYTICAL!
Oklahoma also leads the nation in divorce, child abuse, spouse
abuse(wife beating) etc.,

6. The rich that live here, keep getting richer, the poor keep getting
poorer. Oklahoma is a low-wage state. That is why there are so
many poor people here. Very few are able to get ahead financially!

7. Most Oklahomans depise and avoid change/new,progressive ideas
which would improve the overall quality of life in this state. Instead,
they choose to cling tenaciously to the old status quo, which has
made Oklahoma backward and stagnant culturally, economically, etc.

8. The State government of Oklahoma i.e.,the Legislature is corrupt,
lame and irresponsible to the tax-paying citizens of the state! For
example, they will spend millions of dollars on things that really don't
matter(such as license plate design upgrades) while making the
pathetic excuse that there's not enough money for Okla. state
employees to have a desperately-needed pay raise!!!!

9. I am also FED UP with the "country bumpkin", redneck, rabid sports
fanatic, "Hee-Haw", stupid and imbecilic cowboy-wannabe image
and mentality that permeates this miserable state!

10. Precious few states have a worse infrastructure than Oklahoma has!
The condition of Oklahoma's roadways and bridges is among the
very worst in the nation!

11. Oklahoma has a pathetic history, especially prior to statehood in
1907. The state came from land that nobody wanted, that is until
Uncle Sam decided to give it away for free! When this happened,
every vagabond, vandal, outlaw (and others)around rushed in to
get a piece of it! Hence the phrase " The Great Land Run of 1889".
I am ashamed to be from and reside in a state with this history!

12. I am particularly appalled at the treatment of Native Americans regar-
ding the poor quality of their lives in Oklahoma. Their lands in the
Southeast were stripped from them by Andrew Jackson and Uncle
Sam in the 1830's. They were then FORCED to re-locate to a barren
wasteland in the West which would later become Oklahoma. After
their arrival here, their tribal governments were disrupted, again by
Uncle Sam and opened up to non-Indian settelment, after which they
were treated as second-class citizens as were African-Americans and
other ethnic groups. Some people on this site have said that Okla-
homa dosen't have racism. I tell you this statement is FALSE! There
is much racism in Oklahoma. You don't see it because it is well
hidden but it is definitely present!!!!!

The above is a partial list of things that I despise most about
Oklahoma. Other things may be addded later if the topic arises in a discussion thread. To those on this website who are seriously contemplating moving to Oklahoma, a word of caution: It is your personal
choice to come here or not, but as someone who has resided in Okla. virtually my entire life;I would seriously and urgently warn against moving to Oklahoma!- for the reasons stated above plus others.
LOL...You want a little cheese with that wine???

Old 08-03-2008, 08:50 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,763,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
umm... does this mean that the last four words of The Star Spangled Banner aren't 'Gentlemen, start your engines!' after all?
I thought it was 'Play ball'!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 PM

266 posts, read 968,564 times
You are a piece of work my friend and by your post count I highly doubt your from OK. You're probably from Seattle or something and if you're not then you're ridiculous.

1. It's weather, everyone knows how the weather is in Oklahoma, shut up and get over it. If you can't take the heat stay inside.

2. Give me a break, at least they don't say it straight to your face. Oklahomans are friendly. I could go on about this but I really don't feel like it.

3. Sports obsession??!! OMG! Who cares dude? there's nothing wrong with sports. That is just a pathetic comment.

4. Oklahoma is not the most obese and it comes in at 10 when it comes to most percentage in obesity. All top 10 states in obesity are Southern, ya know why? Our great tasting food!

6. Hey dude it's like that everywhere. The elite class is emerging and the middle class is being wiped out. It's evident it's happening. So that's nothing to complain about.

7. Ok sure, our unemployment rates are the lowest they've ever been and we are beginning to invest in other industries other than energy. Don't forget we've held strong throughout this "recession" and the housing market hasn't bit us like it has over 3/4 the rest of the country.

9. Um Texas has all the wanna be Cowboy crap. Your post is so absurd I'm not even going to go on. You forget you can find "country bumpkin" and "redneck" in Kansas, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, and all the other southern states.

10. Wow you actually managed to post something true and worth reading. You're right for once. Oklahoma's roads are extremely bad. Ok and your point? Does it hurt your feelings that much everytime you hit a pot hole? Does it make you cry?

11. Well that's your opinion because I personally find Oklahoma's history extremely unique and we are a very young state. There's more to come!

Of course all of your "points" are 99.9% opinion, I strongly disagree with pretty much all of it. You need to get over it or move. I could go on and on with all these points but I really don't feel like it because you have no credibility. Good luck on finding a place that suits your needs.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,806,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
LOL...You want a little cheese with that wine???
Rats!
Quote:
You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
Tomorrow is another day.

Great Post!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,490,048 times
Tu'cane, I, as a native born Oklahoman who started out life in Fairfax, I find your post to native9 absolutely deplorable. And no, he's not ridiculous. I can tell he's serious.

Meanwhile, what's the matter with you? Do you take great pride and joy that Oklahoma is so pitifully backward and embarrassing? Dum is Gud?? Are you crazy for pot holes?? As a native Oklahoman, I know there can be no doubt whatsoever that there is just too much dang truth behind the majority of things that native 9 pointed out, especially on those areas based more on fact than opinion. It's painful, but it must be faced up to and solved, rather than denied, runned from, or ignored.

Tell, me something. What have you done lately to make Oklahoma a better state, if you wish to continue to live here? IF you feel no one who lives in Oklahoma should feel obligated to do something to make it a better state, then OK.

I, for one absolutely refuse to desert Oklahoma for it's dang backwardness and narrow ways, because it tends to be the lesser people who flee and run from it. And maybe I just want to stick around and hear what some numb sculled, vacant headed state legislator wants to say or stand for before the whole nation becomes privy to it. It might amuse me.

Oh, yeah, one thing Native 9 should have pointed out about the history of Oklahoma was that the first law passed at the state capitol after Oklahoma became a state was to have separate public facilities for blacks. What a disgusting shame.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-03-2008 at 10:21 PM..

Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,915,275 times
They still segregate men's from women's bathrooms........

Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,517,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I don't mean visiting. It is just different. But....maybe it is my problem. I am actually somewhat of a recluse which you would have to be if you buy a place that is a half an hour each way to the grocery store. I like OK in the spring and fall, just hate and I mean hate summers. I put so much energy into gardening and I can't grow down here. I plant a U-Pick but people do not pick so I have freezers full of blueberries which luckly I didn't plant the 9000 plants as the original thought was!!!!
What ind of marketing do you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma