Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 PM

26 posts, read 135,440 times

Advertisements

I just recently acquired what appears to be a little year book. Has anyone ever heard of "THE LONGHORN ROUND-UP"? This book goes from the first grade to the eighth. There are two people by the name of "Starr". Do you suppose they're related to "Belle Starr"? Roy Bert Starr and Jimmie Starr. Does anyone know these two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 10:30 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,947,691 times
They are likely second or third cousins by marriage. Belle was born in Texas and married Sam Starr of Indian Territory, her second husband. Her first one was killed (I forget if he was hung or shot) as a thief. Sam was a drunk and a cattle thief. He and Belle lived at Younger's Bend where she ruled the roost so to speak. Sam was Cherokee, as was his dad Tom Starr. Tom was a Cherokee that was relocated by the Jackson government. Tom was a decendent of Nancy Ward whose (I think -- I am writing this from memory) daughter married Caleb Starr, a Pennsylvania Dutchman. That would make Tom either his son or grandson.......I think Tom was his son.

Belle was hostess to the Younger/James gang. That is where the name of their place came from. Belle was pretty fond of Cole Younger and it is thought that her daughter Pearl, later a madam of a whorehouse in Ft Smith, was cole's daughter. Apparently Belle and Cole had had relations for years before she married Sam as well as while she was married. Sam, drunk except when rustling cattle and horses, apparently didn't mind. But Sam and Belle never had children, although she had a son as well who is thought to have been the one who shot her in the back.

Tom, though, was one of several brothers, and each of the brothers had several sons. Henry Starr, the bank robber and movie actor (mostly playing himself in two or three silent movies in the 20's) was Tom's grandson, but not through Sam. But all the Starrs in the Cherokee Nation originated with Caleb and Nancy Wards daughter.

So if they were in eastern Oklahoma, graduated from high school in the early 40's there is a good chance their greatgrandfather or great great uncle was Tom Starr, father in law to Belle Starr.

It is a family rumor, but I have been told this story from several sources within the family. Apparently Tom was a pretty well to do slave owner in Georgia, owning a really nice plantation. (Nancy Ward was the first Cherokee to own slaves when she led a band of Cherokee against the Creek in Georgia, capturing all the wealth, including slaves, that the Creek had in the village.) When he lost everything and was relocated to Oklahoma (via the Trail of Tears) he told the white men that if they wouldn't let him live white, then he would live Indian.....and declared war on white men. Any white man he came across, for a number of years, he would kill. Needless to say, when he killed someone they would send marshalls after him. those marshalls never came back. Finally the government signed a treaty with him that said essentially that if he would quit killing folks they would quit sending marshalls after him. Like I said....it is a family story and may not be true. But Tom Hause in Arizona, named Tom by his mother whose maiden name was Starr, told me this story as Tom Starr was his namesake.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:44 PM

26 posts, read 135,440 times
Wow! Goodpasture, I really hit the jackpot of information when I discovered you! Thank you so much for your reply. This little year book is from a school in Ft. Cobb. OK. John Stone has his name on the front cover, so I'm guessing it was his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma