U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2008, 11:33 PM

5,200 posts, read 8,720,746 times
I've posted on this forum in the past. Dropped in last night to get an update on happenings in the OK forum and found this thread. Jessaka, I'm sorry to learn that you're feeling that your move to OK has not worked out. No place is perfect for everyone, but . . . I'd suggest being careful about moving. My experience has been that jumping at the first situation that offers an escape from bad circumstances usually leads to something just as bad as what I've tried to escape, sometimes worse.

There is intolerance everywhere. And, as far as racism goes, truth is, we all have our prejudices, if we're honest enough with ourselves to admit it. Most people still try to do what's right, in their interaction with others on a one-to-one personal level. Those who do not can be found everywhere. Up here in MA where I live, life can be just as uncomfortable for someone with conservative politcal views as you are feeling it is for you in Oklahoma right now. On the other hand, given the entrenched blue-state tendencies of MA, and the way many on the left equate these leanings with enlightened thought, you'd probably be shocked to hear of some of the racist remarks I've heard, and bigoted behavior I've witnessed, right here in the ultimate blue state. I could tell you some stories about the racial views of some individuals here in "enlightened" Massachusetts.

What I'm getting at is some advice that you be careful to make sure you're moving to the right place, if you feel you need to move at all. Places aren't always quite what they seem at first glance. You have to do what you have to do, but I would suggest taking some time to cool off before making any kind of move. Wait until the election is over, and the aftermath of the election has passed and people are back to their routines. People's feelings are intense right now. The mood of the country is in the dumps. Now is the time when people are going to be especially sensitive to anything that rubs them wrong. People around you are more likely to snap at someone they disagree with, and you are probably more likely to have an intense reaction rather than shrugging it off. As I said, you have to do what you have to do, but I'd suggest a cool-off period to keep you from acting impetuously. Whatever happens, best of luck to you in finding the right place for you, whether in your present-day own back yard, or elsewhere.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:03 AM

779 posts, read 1,423,009 times
Ogre,

That was a really decent post and I enjoyed reading it. We as a nation are going through hard times and they say that is might be the most important election of our lives. I do think everything will be back to normal after the election passes and everybody will just live their lives. Fact is, will all are going to make it.

Jessaka, I truly have faith in you and whether you opt to say in Oklahoma or move elsewhere, just be strong and I do apologize for any racism you may have experienced. It's crazy because I am African American, lived in south Tulsa my whole life, and have yet to experience any form of racism. I try to be nice to everybody, regardless of race, and all my firiends classify me as a nice, laid back person. Worst thing that has happened to me was I get laughed at by other blacks because I wear American Eagle apparrell as they sport their baggy clothes. Sometimes you have to phase people out, and go about your business. You will make it, Jessaka.

I also agree with you, Ogre, when you said that you should be careful about moving to different. I am sure you can tell I am longing to relocate to Dallas to be the best automotive technician I can be (based on my screen name). It has been my dream since 2003 and I want to make that dream come to past in August of 2010 after gratuation at OSU.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:29 AM

3,701 posts, read 5,891,193 times
Quote:
You did hear that Iceland was put on Ebay? Also that the current proposal is that the US Government is planning to take equity in the banks they bail out? THAT is scary.
There have been some other intriguing things put on ebay also, though not quite in the same category as an entire country. Think missle silos, real estate with toxic issues needing to be cleaned up to EPA standards, government aircraft.

Quote:
Frankly ( and this is somewhat self interest) I would like to see every loan, prior to going into foreclosure, have to go through a full audit of the loan documentation. If significant (and we can argue about what significant means some other time) errors occurred, then a real value put on the property and a reasonable loan put in place at a fair value as of the time of the original purchase. If there is fraud evident in the documents, then the parties that participated and benefited should be criminally charged. This includes the appraiser, the loan officer, the processor, the title company, the Realtor, the Account Representative for the wholesale lender, the Wholesale lender, right on up the chain. Any proceeds from the fraudulent loan should be forfeited and damages should be trebled, and a fine and jail time imposed on everyone involved. The investigative costs should be borne by the institution that owns the note.
There are so many weird things going on in the mortgage industry, if all of the guilty parties were to serve actual jail time, the country would have to double the size of it's prison system. There isn't enough room now to hold the so-called criminals, that's why there are now privately owned prisons contracting to house them. It would be a real money maker - at the tax payers' expense - to house [or should the word be 'warehouse'] a whole new segment.

Quote:
I stated this on another forum, but I have nothing but respect for McCain. He has served our country and his state honorably and with integrity. My problem is his economics. I am a demand side proponent. He is a supply side proponent. Obama is a demand side proponent. My vote has nothing to do with respect, liking, disliking, or otherwise personality based. Given a chance to hang with either of them, I would choose McCain over Obama every time. McCain is western, he has guns, he is a Viet Vet, and his wife owns a beer distributorship. Obama is an inner city Chicago resident. I don't even care that much for my cousins in Chicago. Obama is not a gun guy. I doubt he would know Red Rock from Steel Dust. He hangs out in a radical church (probably for political reasons).
I listened to all of the hullabaloo over that so-called statement by Obama's pastor. And only one minor news program actually played the whole tape all the way through. That infamous 'G-D America' comment was cut off in mid-sentence, but not a single one of the major news networks bothered to do enough research to find that out. It was so much more interesting and 'news worthy' using the edited for YouTube version, after all. All the Black churches I've ever heard about or read about have been in the forefront, as far as being politically active, from the days preceding the Civil War to the fight for equal rights. I grew up in an area that was just as segregated as any in the deep south, although it wasn't quite so overt as to have Jim Crow laws. But when I was 12 and just starting junior high, a Black preacher and his family moved into our neighborhood a few blocks from our house. Within the first few weeks, someone threw a molotov cocktail against the wall of their house and tried to burn it down. They left the scorch marks on the outside wall of the garage, and I felt incredibly saddened at the thought of the little girl living there who had to walk to my old grade school every day, to a school where both students and teachers hated her for simply being what she was.

Quote:
Over all, McCain is my kind of guy. But he is a supply sider. I am a demand sider. Obama is a demand sider. Clinton was a demand sider. FDR was a demand sider. Hoover was a supply sider. Reagan was a supply sider.

They are/were all good men with a love for this country of ours. We just have contradicting beliefs in economics.
And that I agree with.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:51 AM

11,879 posts, read 24,976,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Ogre,

That was a really decent post and I enjoyed reading it. We as a nation are going through hard times and they say that is might be the most important election of our lives. I do think everything will be back to normal after the election passes and everybody will just live their lives. Fact is, will all are going to make it.

Jessaka, I truly have faith in you and whether you opt to say in Oklahoma or move elsewhere, just be strong and I do apologize for any racism you may have experienced. It's crazy because I am African American, lived in south Tulsa my whole life, and have yet to experience any form of racism. I try to be nice to everybody, regardless of race, and all my firiends classify me as a nice, laid back person. Worst thing that has happened to me was I get laughed at by other blacks because I wear American Eagle apparrell as they sport their baggy clothes. Sometimes you have to phase people out, and go about your business. You will make it, Jessaka.

I also agree with you, Ogre, when you said that you should be careful about moving to different. I am sure you can tell I am longing to relocate to Dallas to be the best automotive technician I can be (based on my screen name). It has been my dream since 2003 and I want to make that dream come to past in August of 2010 after gratuation at OSU.
You'll go far with that attitude autotech. Don't let anyone persuade you otherwise. Good luck with your career!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You'll go far with that attitude autotech. Don't let anyone persuade you otherwise. Good luck with your career!
Thank you so much! You have been nothing but encouraging and I am so glad that I found this forum.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:28 PM

5,200 posts, read 8,720,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Interesting that I read this post right after reading Autotech's post, because I had exactly the same thought as Synopsis. Autotech, I've seen only a few of your posts, but if they are any indication, you have a good head on your shoulders, and should do well in life.

I've seen enough of your posts to know that you have the strong desire to move to Dallas. The only caution I might offer about that is that sometimes if you build something up too much in your mind, you might set yourself up for disappointment, because no place or situation is perfect, so it might not meet the expectations you've built up. It does occur to me, though, that since you live fairly close to the Big D you might have been there and be somewhat familiar with the city. In any case, going somewhere for the positive reason that you really feel it's the place you need to be is likely to work out better than jumping at the first chance to get out of a bad situation. I would advise anyone to avoid the latter situation.

I have a feeling you will do well. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Interesting that I read this post right after reading Autotech's post, because I had exactly the same thought as Synopsis. Autotech, I've seen only a few of your posts, but if they are any indication, you have a good head on your shoulders, and should do well in life.

I've seen enough of your posts to know that you have the strong desire to move to Dallas. The only caution I might offer about that is that sometimes if you build something up too much in your mind, you might set yourself up for disappointment, because no place or situation is perfect, so it might not meet the expectations you've built up. It does occur to me, though, that since you live fairly close to the Big D you might have been there and be somewhat familiar with the city. In any case, going somewhere for the positive reason that you really feel it's the place you need to be is likely to work out better than jumping at the first chance to get out of a bad situation. I would advise anyone to avoid the latter situation.

I have a feeling you will do well. Best of luck to you.
Ogre, your post was very inspirational to me and I understood you when you said that about building something up too much in my mind, that I could set myself up for disappointment. It is crazy though, because although I do think about Dallas a lot and I still have two years to go, it will take some adaptation because I have lived with my parents my whole life. At age 23 in 2010, I will have to learn to take care of my own and be able to pay my way while being alone in such a big city. I also agree that no situation is perfect and I have to learn to work with what I've got to better a compromising scenario. I do thank you again for your strategic words and I pray it all works out for the best for me when the time arrives.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,963,989 times
The sale of the house didn't go through, and I was so sure it had.

That may very well be a good thing because we are thinking it over. Also many are correct about this election causing people to behave differently. I loved it here up until lately. Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 AM

13,387 posts, read 9,614,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
The sale of the house didn't go through, and I was so sure it had.

That may very well be a good thing because we are thinking it over. Also many are correct about this election causing people to behave differently. I loved it here up until lately. Thanks for all your help.
You proudly expressed your Love for OK. in most of your other post on the OK, forum. I don,t think that's gone.
This just may be another culture shock that your going through, it's temperary.
Hang in here with us.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:29 AM

2,509 posts, read 4,072,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I could tell you some stories about the racial views of some individuals here in "enlightened" Massachusetts.

Agreed. I have run into more ignorance during my 25 years on Cape Cod than I ever have in Oklahoma, either rural, suburban or urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma