Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
LOL. And you can order catalogs and shop that way, but mostly I don't. You learn where to find fun shopping. But often when I need something and can't find it I can on Amazon.
That only works if you can drive, which I can't, or if you live in a city big enough to have thrift shops [to which I am addicted]. So... I take my pleasures where I find them. Besides, most of my previous favorite catalogs now have websites!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
I don't like buying things off of ebay; there's something I just don't trust about buying from an individual online. However, I do realize that loads of people love it and have ZERO complaints.

I buy online all of the time (overstock is a good place), but from discount retailers and not individuals.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I don't like buying things off of ebay; there's something I just don't trust about buying from an individual online. However, I do realize that loads of people love it and have ZERO complaints.

I buy online all of the time (overstock is a good place), but from discount retailers and not individuals.
You do have to check people's reputations and comments, but so far, I've only had one bad experience w/ ebay buying, and that was a very minimally priced item, not even as much as I'd leave for a tip in a restaurant, including shipping. Besides, there are businesses that sell there, too, Besides, I liked the idea of getting a top brand coffee maker for .99 even if I did have to pay 10.00 for shipping it. I'd been spending 15.00 every 6 months or so for cheap throwaways from the local drug store, and my .99 cent one has lasted for about 4 years now.

It's also a good place to get parts for things, especially USB hubs and odds and ends that cost the earth if you have to order them from the OEM supplier [like new batteries for a Verizon cell phone]. It's like going to a garage sale without going out in the weather. I've gotten all my cell phones from ebay, with the exception of this last one which I got free from the new carrier I switched to, and the 'free' one is the only one I've ever had any trouble with - all the used ones worked great. And books! I should say audio books - I would NEVER be able to afford new ones, but used ones are far cheaper, and there are a lot of really old time radio programs on CD and CD/MP3 now for a pittance.

But I really haven't had any problems with the private sellers - it's just a matter of using PayPal, then you have all kinds of options to remedy any goof-ups. And as I recall, Overstock uses PayPal as well.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:36 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

Hey Synopsis,

Bjb123 sells on ebay quite often and does a dang good job at it if I say so myself. If you have any questions on how to protect yourself, just give he a yell. I'm sure she would be glad to give you some pointer on what to look for and how to avoid problems areas.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM

330 posts, read 970,307 times
Using the Dr. Pepper test, the people of Oklahoma have offered me so many Dr. Peppers, I could've opened up my own distribution center.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:20 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
That only works if you can drive, which I can't, or if you live in a city big enough to have thrift shops [to which I am addicted]. So... I take my pleasures where I find them. Besides, most of my previous favorite catalogs now have websites!
I am addicted to thrift shops and antique stores.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:01 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
One thing I really do miss here are my thrift shops. Half of my stuff came from them. When I was back in cali for Thanksgiving that is one tour I had to take. Unfortunatily was limited to one box to ship back home.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Oh, yes! That is the one thing I'd change in my little town, there are 2 second hand clothing stores, but they don't have anything that interests me. There's a pawn shop, but I haven't bothered going to it yet. Maybe in the spring. It's probably a good thing I can't drive any more, I'd spend far too much time going back and forth to Tulsa and OKC.

It always amazed me, some of the things people would donate. We got all our TVs from one shop for 5.00 each, because whoever had had them lost the remote. So they bought a new set instead of going to Walmart and getting a universal remote. I think the most expensive thing I ever got was a new Blaze Queen wood stove that I paid 100.00 for -and it was worth every penny and then some. It pretty much kept a 2,000 sf house warm all winter, which is saying a lot when one lives in Alaska.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:17 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
If I were back in California there is one thrift store that I would love to return to, but it isn't work going back to CA to visit for any reason.

How come you no longer drive karibear?

I have only been into one pawn shop since moving here, but I didn't buy anything. I keep saying that I should go to some.

That wood stove sounds wonderful. what a deal; also the TV.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
If I were back in California there is one thrift store that I would love to return to, but it isn't work going back to CA to visit for any reason.

How come you no longer drive karibear?

I have only been into one pawn shop since moving here, but I didn't buy anything. I keep saying that I should go to some.

That wood stove sounds wonderful. what a deal; also the TV.
I can't drive now because I'm legally blind. It doesn't interfere with daily living and I can walk wherever I want as long as I only cross streets at stop signs. That's one of many reasons I picked a small town.

Pawn stores are different from thrift stores in many ways - it's usually men who take things in, and it's usually tools and such, but there are other things too. The one in the town where I lived in AK was also owned by the best locksmith, so I saw him fairly regularly. The problem there was that since it was a small town, I also recognized some of the less generic things, and it wasn't always nice discovering who among the people I knew was in trouble. On the other hand, DH had a ring stolen from him in Dutch Harbor that eventually turned up there - a very long way for a little piece of jewelry to travel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma