U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2008, 09:44 PM

8,771 posts, read 6,775,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
Oklahoman's love Oklahoma due to the quality of live, I believe. I do not know for a fact but it does not seem like Oklahoman's are in a rush to get out of Oklahoma. It is actually quite the contrary. Everybody is trying to flee their home states for Oklahoma because of Oklahoma's quality of life.
But considering that Oklahoma is rated as one of the poorest and least healthiest states in the union, I would think newcomers coming here had best expect to make more money by coming to Oklahoma and be in good health. By the way, Oklahoma is rated no. 6 for its rate of having toothless residents. So newcomers, please take good care of your teeth!!

Old 10-05-2008, 10:12 PM

4,295 posts, read 4,052,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But considering that Oklahoma is rated as one of the poorest and least healthiest states in the union, I would think newcomers coming here had best expect to make more money by coming to Oklahoma and be in good health. By the way, Oklahoma is rated no. 6 for its rate of having toothless residents. So newcomers, please take good care of your teeth!!
Stillwater,

The tenor of your posts always seem very negative. Are you sure you shouldn't be moving out of OkieVille?

If you're not an Okie and you don't like it anyway, why don't you go back to where you came from?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 AM

779 posts, read 1,466,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Oh my, I had no idea.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:32 AM

13,496 posts, read 25,440,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Stillwater,

The tenor of your posts always seem very negative. Are you sure you shouldn't be moving out of OkieVille?

If you're not an Okie and you don't like it anyway, why don't you go back to where you came from?
I think he's joking. Who would be detoured from living in a state just because they rank number 6 for being toothless?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 AM

3,238 posts, read 5,815,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotech4dallas View Post
With the way the economy is going, I might have to take out of my savings to pay for things. Sometimes I get a little concerned that I might not have enough to move out of Oklahoma to Dallas but I am still hopeful. Although 2010 is almost here (I cannot believe 2009 is approaching) anything can happen. I am just going to keep my focus for two years, despite the circumstances, and I know that moving to Dallas will be a reality rather than a fantasy.
While you're young, and have no major responsibilities (wife, kids, etc.), you can do anything you set your mind to.

"If you don't have a dream, how are you going to make a dream come true?" - Oscar Hammerstein

Old 10-06-2008, 01:23 PM

8,771 posts, read 6,775,455 times
Quote:
Stillwater,

I was born in the Osage Hills in Fairfax. Does that make me an Okie? I don't have a sense of adventure like that young fellow you dreams of moving to Dallas. So I'll just stay right here and be thankful I don't live somewhere else in Oklahoma like Boise City.

I think a little too many people in Oklahoma lack ambition and sit around too much waiting on life to happen for them. Some people just don't put forth enough effort into discovering themselves and their potential and in doing so bring down the quality of life statistics for Oklahoma. And few people who have sacrificed for themselves for better lives are gonna be sympathetic to such people.

IF I had to move out of Oklahoma, it would probably be to Colorado Springs, so I could enjoy being next to all that grand mountain scenery and the Garden of the Gods.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 10-06-2008 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
While you're young, and have no major responsibilities (wife, kids, etc.), you can do anything you set your mind to.

"If you don't have a dream, how are you going to make a dream come true?" - Oscar Hammerstein
Colleng47, you make a very valid point and I really appreciate the post. I have two wonderful parents that are allowing me to live with them at age 21 and are very supportive. I love them both very much and try to help them out as much as I can.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:53 PM

25,483 posts, read 11,576,081 times
Quote:
Stillwater,

There is something to be said about our innate ability to be happy or disgruntled. Like I have said in earlier posts, when I went to college in KS for 9 years I loved it. Made a lot of very good friends that were closer to me than my own family.

When I lived in Canyon, TX I had the best job in the whole world, sadly I made 1100/month. Had to leave. I packed all my possessions in a tiny 89 Honda Accord on a friday and had a job and an apt by the following monday. Still I loved TX, the people, and the weather.

Toothless people are not a marker of unhappiness to me. I am toothless and I know too many people with missing teef who have had rough lives and they are head and shoulders in character above any Mercedes driving person with perfect teeth.

Success and happiness cannot be defined by income. While in KS I spent a lot of time on the Potawatomie Reservation. I have greater respect for those wise elders with missing teeth than I do for most PhD's or CEO's who are condescending towards povery stricken individuals.

If the pic below looks like HELL to you, move on down the road brother!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_2667.jpg (broken link)
The dirt leading to my neck of the woods.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:05 PM

4,295 posts, read 4,052,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
There is something to be said about our innate ability to be happy or disgruntled. Like I have said in earlier posts, when I went to college in KS for 9 years I loved it. Made a lot of very good friends that were closer to me than my own family.

When I lived in Canyon, TX I had the best job in the whole world, sadly I made 1100/month. Had to leave. I packed all my possessions in a tiny 89 Honda Accord on a friday and had a job and an apt by the following monday. Still I loved TX, the people, and the weather.

Toothless people are not a marker of unhappiness to me. I am toothless and I know too many people with missing teef who have had rough lives and they are head and shoulders in character above any Mercedes driving person with perfect teeth.

Success and happiness cannot be defined by income. While in KS I spent a lot of time on the Potawatomie Reservation. I have greater respect for those wise elders with missing teeth than I do for most PhD's or CEO's who are condescending towards povery stricken individuals.

If the pic below looks like HELL to you, move on down the road brother!

The dirt leading to my neck of the woods.
>>>>>

<<<<<

VERY well said, Brother.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 PM

It is funny because I can honestly say that even though I am 21, still living with my parents, and going to school to become the best automotive technician I can be, I can honestly say that the Honda dealer that I currently working at is my dream job here in Oklahoma. (not so much the pay, but that is ok because I am still an entry-level tech.)

If I decided that I wanted to stay in Oklahoma and work at my current Honda dealer, I would work towards becoming a Honda master certified auto tech, where I will know everything about repairing any Honda automobile and making over six figures. This would take many years (I think like 5-10, all depending, and about eight ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) exams.

As of right now, I am taking this whole plan and applying it in Dallas, Texas because I believe that I will have a better opportunity, and I just love the atmosphere in Dallas, as you all have probably figured out by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma