Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Kid View Post
Steamed okra is horrible. This is Oklahoma! Fry it....
Absolutely, Brother!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 04:15 PM

840 posts, read 3,467,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I used to have a cookbook called White Trash Cooking - it should have been called Every Day Southern Cooking.
I think I have that. And I never could understand why they called it that. It has some really good recipes in it.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Kid View Post
I hear ya Chickrae! If there is a Del Rancho near you go check it out. I wish I knew how they make the best okra I have ever had.

Good okra recipes seem to be a secret that no one want's to reveal!...
Well, here is the daughter of the people who had Del Rancho giving the recipe for Del Rancho Garlic Dressing https://www.recipezaar.com/13123
You can click on her name Miss Annie and on the next page click on where it says Mail Me (at the top of the page) If we have someone on here who is a member maybe they could politely ask for the okra recipe.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
I think I have that. And I never could understand why they called it that. It has some really good recipes in it.
I think it was the mayonnaise and potato chip sandwich that did it. I had a lot of really neat cookbooks, lost about 350-400 of them when the house burned - and that doesn't even begin to touch the rest. I had about 12,000 books stuffed into that little cabin, they pretty much lined the walls. Some of the other cookbooks were everything from a complete set of the old TimeLife Foods of the World, to a hand-made one by a grade school class of Eskimo children above the Arctic Circle. It had one recipe that started "cut up a whale into small pieces and put it in a pot." And the original Hershey's Cookbook, with the page that said a pound of chocolate was equal to a pound of steak, because the calories were the same. That was back in the day when food values were judged in terms of calories.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:30 PM

75 posts, read 285,165 times
The Busy Bee Cafe in Hugo is YUUUUUMMMY!

Of course it's not the same since Sam is no longer there...but it's still good!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
.... said a pound of chocolate was equal to a pound of steak, because the calories were the same. That was back in the day when food values were judged in terms of calories.
Hey, that sounds good to me. I won't argue with that....

So sorry to hear about the fire. Are you collecting again?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Hey, that sounds good to me. I won't argue with that....

So sorry to hear about the fire. Are you collecting again?
The fire was back in '87, and omigawd yes, I am collecting! I am a magnet for stuff - and DH was also a magnet for stuff. Fortunately - or unfortunately - we both accumulated different kinds of stuff. At least I don't have his gun collection or all the tires or car parts, but anything that goes inside the house other than tools [I still have most of the tools, but they can stay outside in the shop], I have. Now, if I could just FIND it all when I need it...

Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
The fire was back in '87, and omigawd yes, I am collecting! I am a magnet for stuff - and DH was also a magnet for stuff. Fortunately - or unfortunately - we both accumulated different kinds of stuff. At least I don't have his gun collection or all the tires or car parts, but anything that goes inside the house other than tools [I still have most of the tools, but they can stay outside in the shop], I have. Now, if I could just FIND it all when I need it...
After years of collecting I have lots of things I should sell. No guns, tires, car parts though....but thankfully other than a little bit of Heywood Wakefield furniture-- no furniture....but things like elegant glass (mmmm love gorgeous crystal candleabras and candlesticks), pottery...like Frankoma, Van Briggle, Roseville, Weller and Hall.

I keep saying that I have got to get rid of stuff so it isn't a burden to someone to have to sell when I am gone.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
After years of collecting I have lots of things I should sell. No guns, tires, car parts though....but thankfully other than a little bit of Heywood Wakefield furniture-- no furniture....but things like elegant glass (mmmm love gorgeous crystal candleabras and candlesticks), pottery...like Frankoma, Van Briggle, Roseville, Weller and Hall.

I keep saying that I have got to get rid of stuff so it isn't a burden to someone to have to sell when I am gone.
That's how I got a lot of our stuff, from what others had collected and whose heirs didn't want to mess with it. Now, I'm thinking hard about doing the same thing. One of the things I had way back when was an original McClellan cavalry saddle, and no clue as to how it got to AK in the first place. Another thing that boggled me big time was the engraved butter knife from my gran's set of silver. Since I'm not the one who took it there, and it was last seen in St Louis, it's a wonder how it made it there to show up in a thrift shop for me to find. I still do have that, although it looks like it's been through a couple wars.

But I still miss my cookbooks, a lot.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:46 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
White Trash Cooking - Yahoo! Search Results
----------------
White Trash Cooking, Twenty Years Later | Southern Quarterly | Find Articles at BNET
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma