U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:53 PM

250 posts, read 464,389 times
I am from Texas and I don't see what the big deal is. If you have too much water, why not sell it? After all, we're willing to sell our mosquitos and cockroaches. Especially the flying ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:08 PM

330 posts, read 684,112 times
I heard T. Boone Pickens was going to buy all the water in OK and donate it to OSU.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM

13,387 posts, read 9,597,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
There are some schools of thought that feel water may become a tradeable commodity at some point in the near future.
There's some type of water dispute going on between Mich, and Canada over the use of water from the Great Lakes.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
There was also some talk some years ago about AK selling ice bergs that had calved off glaciers in Southeast AK to some company in Seattle. I never heard what happened, if anything, though. It would seem like there are plenty of bergs around Antarctica now to do the same thing. It's a matter of towing them and having them received and treated before they melt in warmer waters.
That's interesting

Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 PM

779 posts, read 1,421,185 times
Texas wants water from Oklahoma. Hmmmm

Last edited by autotech4dallas; 10-30-2008 at 06:28 PM..

Old 10-30-2008, 06:26 PM

779 posts, read 1,421,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
I am from Texas and I don't see what the big deal is. If you have too much water, why not sell it? After all, we're willing to sell our mosquitos and cockroaches. Especially the flying ones.
Oh man, I have seen flying cockroaches. When I first saw it, I was like WHAT!?!?!?! they can fly too!?!?!? My mom started laughing at me. But I have never seen such craziness. If that flying roach landed on my shoulder, I would have been through.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:11 AM

25,088 posts, read 11,211,920 times
I thought this thread was about choosing the right Nursing HOME!!

This map shows the drought conditions across the land. I see Houston needs a drink of water or two.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/drmon.gif (broken link)

I see Alaska's north slope is in a drought, no wonder karibear jumped ship! Uhh-HUH!! Now we know. She used up their water then left the state!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 AM

330 posts, read 684,112 times
Redbird,

That's an interesting map there. I don't understand how places that receive tons of rain and snow could be in drought conditions. Having lived in CA, we were in a drought my entire life and didn't nearly have the rain of states like Washington or Alaska.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM

3,701 posts, read 5,885,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techienomad View Post
Redbird,

That's an interesting map there. I don't understand how places that receive tons of rain and snow could be in drought conditions. Having lived in CA, we were in a drought my entire life and didn't nearly have the rain of states like Washington or Alaska.
It is interesting. As far as AK, though, the relative size shown is deceptive. If it were overlayed onto the Lower 48, the Panhandle would be in the Carolinas, while the Aleutian Chain would hit CA. The North Slope has always been dry - there's not much snow or rain there, the snow just tends to blow around a lot. As for WA, the rain is on the west side of the Cascades and the Olympic Peninsula. Eastern WA has always been drier and colder. The High Plains states east of the Rockies are also relatively dry. And all those tons of snow don't make all that much water. It takes 7"-10" of snow to melt into 1" of water. It was a real PITA, when our waterline was frozen and I'd have to carry buckets of snow in to melt it for the dogs and washing stuff - I'd also have to strain the spruce needles out. A major PITA!

I just read a posting in a blog about fall colors this year - one person in Ohio said it was so dry where they were [south central], all the leaves just dried up and blew away, all brown. No colors at all this year.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post

I just read a posting in a blog about fall colors this year - one person in Ohio said it was so dry where they were [south central], all the leaves just dried up and blew away, all brown. No colors at all this year.
Sounds like CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma