Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 37,534 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Enid. Where are the high crime rate areas of town? Is there a part of town we DON'T want to move into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 06:01 PM

17,632 posts, read 13,448,531 times
West of the railroad tracks is the desirable part of town. West of Oakwood and north of Willow are the newer parts of town.

Indian Hills which is basically southwest of the Owen K. Garriot and Van Buren intersection is the older part of town that has the beautiful old homes.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:15 AM

What is the area near the colleges like? How about jobs in health care? What is the city in general like? Is there a limit to the number of questions I can ask in a row ?:-)
I am an RN & after raising a family DH is looking at going back to college. We are thinking medium sized older home,maybe a fix er upper-DH is a whizz at that. Not looking for high dollar hill neighborhood-we are plain folks.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 PM

Default moving to enid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nern View Post
What is the area near the colleges like? How about jobs in health care? What is the city in general like? Is there a limit to the number of questions I can ask in a row ?:-)
I am an RN & after raising a family DH is looking at going back to college. We are thinking medium sized older home,maybe a fix er upper-DH is a whizz at that. Not looking for high dollar hill neighborhood-we are plain folks.
clarification of thread/area I am asking about-sorry ,kinda new at this. nern

Old 02-24-2007, 05:26 PM

The area where the college is is considered the "bad" side of town, but there are still some nice homes and such around there. Enid is not very big that you can't get across it fairly quickly. There shouldn't be any problem getting a job there if you are an RN. There are a couple of hospitals in town and a couple of state facilities, home healths, nursing homes etc.

Enid is the biggest city in NW Oklahoma so it has the requisite mall and other shopping things. It is but an hour and 15 minutes from the edge of OKC or Tulsa for other things and not too much farther to Wichita KS.

Not a bad place for kids over all.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:58 PM

Default moving to Enid

thanks for the info! What are the smaller towns in the area ie +/- 20 mi. like?
Seeing them on a map is one thing,hearing from you folks "in the know" is so much more enlightening. No Chamber of Commerce is going to give the down side of their fair city-I understand why and am not dogging them for it,just want to hear from those living it.
Thanks!

Old 03-03-2007, 04:29 PM

Ha! My whole family is from the towns of Waukomis and Drummond which are two of about 30 towns that are satellites of Enid. I can't say that any are much different from each other. If you want your kids to be on the basketball team at any of these places then you have your pick.

There is a school called Chisolm which is at the north edge of Enid that is a smaller school. There is also a country school south of Enid called Pioneer that includes some nice suburbs of the southeast side of Enid.

All that country is wheat, cattle, gas and oil. It's all flat up there for the most part. But if it were me I would go live in Enid. I would pick Pioneer school if and live in that southeast area of Enid if I wanted to put my kids in a smaller school.

I do think there is a pretty good private Christian School in Enid now.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 PM

thanks for the info! What are the property prices like in the smaller towns around Enid?-maybe we'll end up by some of your realtives e.g. :-)

Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 10,740 times
My husband and two boys moved to Enid from California 9 months ago. It took a couple of months, but we love it here. At first the simplicity of the town was shocking. I am also an RN and there are many job opportunities, especially for full time nurses at both hospitals. I wanted a part time 8 hour shift job, so I work at a great nursing home-Golden Oaks. The affordability amazed us. We bought our first home two months ago. We were also told to stay on the west side of town when looking for a home. The only house we looked at on the east side is the one we liked the most, so we went with it. It was a steal at $40K. We've put $2,000 into it and made it quite nice. It's a quiet neighborhood. It gets a bad reputation because it is working class and you will find a few properties whose owners don't know what upkeep means. People are incredibly friendly here. You have everything you need for daily life and OKC for the weekends. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letisha View Post
My husband and two boys moved to Enid from California 9 months ago. It took a couple of months, but we love it here. At first the simplicity of the town was shocking. I am also an RN and there are many job opportunities, especially for full time nurses at both hospitals. I wanted a part time 8 hour shift job, so I work at a great nursing home-Golden Oaks. The affordability amazed us. We bought our first home two months ago. We were also told to stay on the west side of town when looking for a home. The only house we looked at on the east side is the one we liked the most, so we went with it. It was a steal at $40K. We've put $2,000 into it and made it quite nice. It's a quiet neighborhood. It gets a bad reputation because it is working class and you will find a few properties whose owners don't know what upkeep means. People are incredibly friendly here. You have everything you need for daily life and OKC for the weekends. Good luck!
thanks letisha for the response! We are wanting the access to the college/university for DH to pursue some more education-our children will all be out of school by the time we relocate,one of college age may come along,who knows About what is the travel time for you to OKC? Is there much call for instructors for the Community Colleges? I have my BSN and quite a few years in Mental Health,Home Health and Hospice-thought I might try my hand at teaching. I'm getting to the age that the violence part of inpt. Mental Health is a concern- I don't heal/bounce back as fast as when I was in my 20-30's I've done Long Term too,but got so tired of being short staffed and trying to perform professional duties as well as the direct care. Any info is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma