Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:29 PM

119 posts, read 367,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The secret seems to be getting out. The channel 4 news said Oklahoma is now the 19th fastest growing state in population.

Did they happen to mention if there was a demographic to the "new" Okies? I mean specifically as to what part(s) of the country they are coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 08:11 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,913,807 times
Most of them are coming from out of state.............

Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 PM

119 posts, read 367,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Most of them are coming from out of state.............

Why didn't I see that coming?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,111,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch567 View Post
Linicx,

Thank you for the information. I did look up Grove, OK and it looks awsome. Unfortunately we will be settling down near my Dad who lives in Choctaw.

You mentioned hospitals and I do have an important question. Our four year old twin boys were three months early and weighed one pound each!! They were in the hospital for six months before we took them home and thank God they are just as perfect as can be!!!

Does Oklahoma have any neonatal units, for instance, the ability to care for newborns born at 24 weeks gestation?? I know my wife will want to know this little tidbit.

Thanks again for your help!

Mith
I've never had a reason to inquire about pre-natal since my grandson was born. I know no- thing about the hospitals in OKC, but I would bet a good cup of coffee that St. Francis at Tulsa or Baptist -Integris at Tulsa has one. Most rurral hospitals will life-flight a baby to Childrens;s Hospital if the care is that critical. The problem with hospitals is they are only as good as the staff. Grove, OK has the Baptist - Integris and we had good care there. But we also had good care at Tulsa St. Francis. It's a craps shoot. .

The one thing you do not want is a Catholic doctor. Not because the docs aren't awesome, it's because their faith teaches if a choice between life and death of mother or the child must be made, the Catholic doctor must err on the side of the mother. It's a horribly terrible thing to tell a mother just before she goes in the Delivery Room - especially when she knows theres a problem with baby.

Last edited by linicx; 12-22-2008 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-22-2008, 10:42 PM

266 posts, read 968,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The secret seems to be getting out. The channel 4 news said Oklahoma is now the 19th fastest growing state in population.
You know I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing sometimes... It's impressive that's for sure. Let's just hope it all works out for the best.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM

20 posts, read 382,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch567 View Post
Linicx,

Does Oklahoma have any neonatal units, for instance, the ability to care for newborns born at 24 weeks gestation?? I know my wife will want to know this little tidbit.

Mith
University of Oklahoma Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine

Old 12-23-2008, 03:20 PM

15 posts, read 65,304 times
[SIZE=2]Hi,
Just thought I would chime in on this one. I found myself in the same situation of relocating to Ardmore, To work for Michelin I took a transfer. Some of the thing that I found about Oklahoma in the financial/ tax situation was that I thought I would be making a lot more. My household income was around 80k I paid 7-8k in state tax that I was not ready for every year. Also insurance is three times what is in the rest of the country. Homeowners on 130k home is aprox. 1400 ann. Auto is the same. Although registration is cheep!! I always felt that I would rather have the 7k that I paid in State Tax back. Homes are very reasonable.
People are very friendly to a point. There always willing to help if you are in trouble but I found people to be VERY keep to them self's, especially the native Oklahomans ( not Indians) the born and razed there types. You will always be a YANKEE. Carpet bagger ect…
As to the weather, Hot as hell in the summer with humidity up the ying yang. Cold in the winter especially when the wind is from the north. The spring has an excitement all is own. Rain storms like I have never seen in my life, getting 6 inches in one storm is typical.
If you like to hunt, you will need to join a club or pay a lease. Other wise forget about it. There is very very little public land there. Farmers and Ranchers have found they can make a lot of under the table money selling hunting leases. Bass fishing is fantastic.
If you work for a large company or are self employed you will do fine, if you need to find a job on the economy you wont make squat. I ended up living there for four years. Moved back to Nevada and haven't looked back.

[/SIZE]

Old 12-24-2008, 08:25 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,762,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick182 View Post
[SIZE=2]Hi,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Just thought I would chime in on this one. I found myself in the same situation of relocating to Ardmore, To work for Michelin I took a transfer. Some of the thing that I found about Oklahoma in the financial/ tax situation was that I thought I would be making a lot more. My household income was around 80k I paid 7-8k in state tax that I was not ready for every year. Also insurance is three times what is in the rest of the country. Homeowners on 130k home is aprox. 1400 ann. Auto is the same. Although registration is cheep!! I always felt that I would rather have the 7k that I paid in State Tax back. Homes are very reasonable.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]People are very friendly to a point. There always willing to help if you are in trouble but I found people to be VERY keep to them self's, especially the native Oklahomans ( not Indians) the born and razed there types. You will always be a YANKEE. Carpet bagger ect…[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]As to the weather, Hot as hell in the summer with humidity up the ying yang. Cold in the winter especially when the wind is from the north. The spring has an excitement all is own. Rain storms like I have never seen in my life, getting 6 inches in one storm is typical.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]If you like to hunt, you will need to join a club or pay a lease. Other wise forget about it. There is very very little public land there. Farmers and Ranchers have found they can make a lot of under the table money selling hunting leases. Bass fishing is fantastic.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]If you work for a large company or are self employed you will do fine, if you need to find a job on the economy you wont make squat. I ended up living there for four years. Moved back to Nevada and haven't looked back.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Just to clear up a few errors. The homeowners insurance on my $133,000 house is $800 a year. My car insurance is a little less than half of what it was in NJ. To a Nevadan it would seem there is a lot of humidity, but this east coast girl found it less humid than NJ -- hotter yes, but more humid, no.

We've been here almost a year, and no one has referred to any of my family members as "yankees" or "carpet baggers". And -- I have found all the people both husband and I work with, and my daughter goes to school with, very accepting of out of staters -- that is, as long as you don't negatively compare their state to yours.

I'm sorry your experience was different, but not everything you've said is correct, either.

BTW, I love Nevada, too. We lived in Reno for 7 years.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:59 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,802,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
BTW, I love Nevada, too. We lived in Reno for 7 years.
I lived in Reno for two years and loved it as well Colleen. I love the high desert with its low humidity and spectacular Summer nights. It cools down enough at night even in August to where you can wear a jacket while out and about. To me that is awesome. I'd move back to Reno in a heartbeat if circumstances permitted.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:15 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,762,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I lived in Reno for two years and loved it as well Colleen. I love the high desert with its low humidity and spectacular Summer nights. It cools down enough at night even in August to where you can wear a jacket while out and about. To me that is awesome. I'd move back to Reno in a heartbeat if circumstances permitted.
When we decided to leave NJ this last time, we first checked out Reno, but it had become VERY spread out and expensive since we had lived there. We definitely want to go back for a visit though, and visit all our old haunts. We used to run up to Lake Tahoe all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma