Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:44 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDawn View Post
Im a QH girl myself but I got a good deal on him and he's excellent for trail rides.
There was a huge gathering on Saturday in Shawnee for the QH folks.

Visit Shawnee Oklahoma

We live on horse-aholic Lane, our neighbors have about 20 horses combined. They have a sign on their driveway that says it Horseaholic Lane. They work them regularly. The other neighbor has ten horses and his are all scrawny and always getting into our pasture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:37 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Schousse and I had to go to a field up the road today. Our cows had gotten through a fence and had gotten into a neighbors pasture. He has 7 horses on there now. Last summer he had 9. The place is 10 acres. One horse was down when we got there and we called a vet to come check it out...thought it was down with a broken leg, but the vet said it was just malnourished. The other horses are skin and bones. We took pictures of the horses and the place and one horse that had died and been hauled to the back of the pasture. Not much left after the coyotes finished with it. I tried to call some of the animal rescue people, but no one is answering their phone. I sent photos to Channel 2 news to see what they want to do.

Apparently a neighbor called the sheriff last week and the deputy said they looked all right, but the deputy told the owner to get the horses some feed. The owner bought some johnson grass round bales which is all that is on the place now for them....the place is all dirt....the grass is long gone from the place.....come spring there will be more cockle burrs than you can count.

I though about posting pics, but I didn't want anyone to see the condition these animals are in.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:49 PM

491 posts, read 1,475,451 times
Kari, he's just really small and not what I need for team sorting. He's a good horse, though.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
There was a huge gathering on Saturday in Shawnee for the QH folks.

Visit Shawnee Oklahoma

We live on horse-aholic Lane, our neighbors have about 20 horses combined. They have a sign on their driveway that says it Horseaholic Lane. They work them regularly. The other neighbor has ten horses and his are all scrawny and always getting into our pasture.
I should qualify my post on the underfed and scrawny horses. The owner was an elderly gent who has gone blind and can no longer get around. His son has since moved in and now cares for the farm and the horses. But prior to that, whew! His horses were headed for the glue factory.

Colleeng, I hope your daughter gets a horse someday. There has to be boarding stables in your neck of the woods.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:16 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I should qualify my post on the underfed and scrawny horses. The owner was an elderly gent who has gone blind and can no longer get around. His son has since moved in and now cares for the farm and the horses. But prior to that, whew! His horses were headed for the glue factory.

Colleeng, I hope your daughter gets a horse someday. There has to be boarding stables in your neck of the woods.
Yea, there are boarding stables galore in Mustang, and about 1/3 of the price they were in NJ. Can some of you horse owners tell me what your vet bills average in a year? And aside from tack and feed, what other expenses do you incur? I know I'm probably getting a little nuts here, but Anna's 17th BD is next month, and I was thinking. . . . . .

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Schousse and I had to go to a field up the road today. Our cows had gotten through a fence and had gotten into a neighbors pasture. He has 7 horses on there now. Last summer he had 9. The place is 10 acres. One horse was down when we got there and we called a vet to come check it out...thought it was down with a broken leg, but the vet said it was just malnourished. The other horses are skin and bones. We took pictures of the horses and the place and one horse that had died and been hauled to the back of the pasture. Not much left after the coyotes finished with it. I tried to call some of the animal rescue people, but no one is answering their phone. I sent photos to Channel 2 news to see what they want to do.

Apparently a neighbor called the sheriff last week and the deputy said they looked all right, but the deputy told the owner to get the horses some feed. The owner bought some johnson grass round bales which is all that is on the place now for them....the place is all dirt....the grass is long gone from the place.....come spring there will be more cockle burrs than you can count.

I though about posting pics, but I didn't want anyone to see the condition these animals are in.
Anna and I watched the Animal Rescue show on TV for quite a while a few years ago, but we got so emotional over it we stopped watching. There were many cases of horses who were riddled with sores, underfed and under cared for. It just breaks your heart to see animals abused and neglected. That's why I want to be sure we can afford a horse before we get one.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Anna and I watched the Animal Rescue show on TV for quite a while a few years ago, but we got so emotional over it we stopped watching. There were many cases of horses who were riddled with sores, underfed and under cared for. It just breaks your heart to see animals abused and neglected. That's why I want to be sure we can afford a horse before we get one.
It costs me 40-50.00/mo for feed, hay and sweet feed. I haven't had her checked by a vet yet, she's still too spooky with other people. Someone who does farrier work did get a look at her feet [from a distance] and said they looked pretty good for not being shod. But whenever someone she doesn't know comes into the yard, she still has fits, and she's still afraid of ropes of any kind, even the dog leashes. The first time I had hay delivered, I tied her up to keep her out of the way and she managed to throw herself and got totally tangled up to the point where I had to cut the line to untangle her. For the vet to check her, I'd have to snub her up to a tree and pay an extra 75.00 for a house call. Now that she isn't skinny and all ribs anymore, she seems to be okay - but I really want her to be able to tolerate having other people around, just in case there's a problem when she drops her foal.

But I think the biggest ongoing expense would be shoes, after the stable fees and feed. That should be done about every 6 weeks. You'd probably spend more at the vet for your dogs.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Yea, there are boarding stables galore in Mustang, and about 1/3 of the price they were in NJ. Can some of you horse owners tell me what your vet bills average in a year? And aside from tack and feed, what other expenses do you incur? I know I'm probably getting a little nuts here, but Anna's 17th BD is next month, and I was thinking. . . . . .
Here you go. Oklahoma horses for sale. $50-$mega-bucks.

Horses for Sale in Oklahoma

Here is a slide show from the Extreme Mustang Makeover. Where they take a wild mustang to their ranch for one year of training. Nice to see those beautiful horses going through training process.

http://harmonystarranch.com/Mustangmakeover.aspx

Last edited by _redbird_; 01-19-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 AM

491 posts, read 1,475,451 times
I have never had to spend a lot on a horse. However, as you know, if something does go wrong, you might be screwed. During the summer, they just get a handful of feed each day because they're all easy keepers. They pretty much stay fat on grass. When the grass goes, we feed hay. Hay prices just depend on the year. So, if you don't count feed, I have gotten off pretty cheap. $40 to get feet trimmed now and then, on old horses I might have their teeth floated once in awhile. I've never had any big vet bills.

Kari mentioned shoes but I never shoe mine. There is no need for it if you are riding on natural surfaces and if you go on trails that include slippery rocks, shoes can be bad news. Also, I have seen a hoof split from shoes. They have their purpose, but not every horse needs them if you keep their feet trimmed.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:44 AM

43 posts, read 295,450 times
Quote:
As many of you already know, I have an almost 17year old daughter who loves to ride. The one disappointment for her since we moved here is how difficult it is to find a place to ride. She found it much easier to ride in NJ than in OK which is amazing. The closest place to where we live (Mustang) is Thunderbird Lake, which I can tell you is not close.

It will be awhile before she will be able to buy her own horse, so I'm trying to think of ways she could ride more often closer to home. Does anyone know of places where: 1) she can ride (she doesn't want/need lessons, just the opportunity to ride); or 2) someone who is interested in leasing a horse to us that she can ride at their location?

Please, please help us out. She's bugging me to go riding again this weekend, and I just dont' have the time.
Try Craigslist. Place and ad in the farm category and you will probably get many responses! Good Luck. I have my horse in boarding right now in Oklahoma and miss her sooo much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma