Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:49 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,288,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
When I moved here the manager said a lot of people get Texas plates in Oklahoma because it's cheaper. Even if it is cheaper (I haven't checked), it's not worth the hassle (at least to me). If I drive down to Texas, getting the car inspected is not on my desired to-do list.

That being said, I'll chime in and say Oklahoma is not where I want to be, and I'll keeping my eyes open to leaving (and moving to DFW), but Oklahoma is 1000x times better than California. I like Texas better, but in many regards it is like Oklahoma.
That implies you came for work. There's nothing wrong with preferring one place over another, for wnatever reasons, while still making an effort to enjoy and appreciate what's where you are. What is truly annoying are the people who show up expecting some kind of Utopia, then when it isn't, complain bitterly about everything. Almost as bad are a few of the military and Coast Guard who don't want to be wherever they get put. There was one guy I met right before he was finally transferred away from Kodiak - he'd been there 3 years and never once, until his 21st birthday when some of his co-workers took him into town to celebrate, been off the base, not even taking the liberty bus which ran daily. I asked him why, since there was world-class hiking, hunting, fishing, etc, available. He said no one from town had ever invited him along! Like they were supposed to magically know he was there and wanted to go or something. He left hating it and the people - and probably me in particular, because I made a rather disparaging remark about people who needed an invitation to have a life.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 30,074 times
I spent one year on Norman, OK and absolutely loved it! I had to move to take a different job. I was born in Vermont and now live in North Carolina, but a part of my heart will always be in Oklahoma.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 PM

274 posts, read 516,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
When I moved here the manager said a lot of people get Texas plates in Oklahoma because it's cheaper. Even if it is cheaper (I haven't checked), it's not worth the hassle (at least to me). If I drive down to Texas, getting the car inspected is not on my desired to-do list.

That being said, I'll chime in and say Oklahoma is not where I want to be, and I'll keeping my eyes open to leaving (and moving to DFW), but Oklahoma is 1000x times better than California. I like Texas better, but in many regards it is like Oklahoma.
That's interesting. There was an article in a local newspaper in CT where the city leaders were complaining because many of the trucks at the local Coca Cola bottling plant had Oklahoma plates. By registering in Oklahoma they could avoid paying the very high property taxes on their trucks.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,463,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
That's interesting. There was an article in a local newspaper in CT where the city leaders were complaining because many of the trucks at the local Coca Cola bottling plant had Oklahoma plates. By registering in Oklahoma they could avoid paying the very high property taxes on their trucks.
What's even stranger is that someone posted here in OK threads that there are a lot of TX tags because it is cheaper. And if you go to KS threads, there are people talking about MO tags because it is cheaper to register your car in MO.

Where does it all end? Even here in the boonies, I have been seeing Beemers and Humvees with tribal tags!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,518,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
because I made a rather disparaging remark about people who needed an invitation to have a life.
LOL

Old 03-05-2009, 01:10 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,809,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
What's even stranger is that someone posted here in OK threads that there are a lot of TX tags because it is cheaper. And if you go to KS threads, there are people talking about MO tags because it is cheaper to register your car in MO.

Where does it all end? Even here in the boonies, I have been seeing Beemers and Humvees with tribal tags!
It's the circle of life.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 AM

498 posts, read 1,600,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
As a native Oklahoman I am always embarrassed by how backward our state is and how it must look to others, especially when off the wall, bizarre stories come out like the one about the judge who had to go to prison for Moderator cut: please, nothing so vulgar pump while conducting court. My problem is that I just haven't felt daring and adventurous enough to leave the state. Pulling your roots up and just leaving isn't easy.

Yet, friends I have known have done just that. One friend of mine left Oklahoma to join the Marines and after getting out chose to live in San Diego rather than move back to Oklahoma. He loves it there and thinks he never come back to Oklahoma to live. Another friend left Oklahoma to resume his teaching career by moving to Las Vegas. He doesn't think he'll ever come back to Oklahoma to live again. So I tend to envy people who have the guts to turn their backs on Oklahoma and leave without regretting it. It's something I'll never do.
StillwaterTownie, after living in Texas and spending a good amount of time in other states, the one lesson I have learned is that Oklahoma simply isn't backwards. It just isn't. Yeah, wierd things happen in Oklahoma. They happen everywhere.

When are Americans, and moreso Oklahomans, going to wake up to this reality. So you leave Oklahoma because bad things happen there, for another state, only to face... MORE BAD THINGS?

I don't know which is worse, Sally Kern's ignorant comments and a child being murdered by a would-be serial killer in Oklahoma, or the numerous religious cults, a baby getting cooked in a microwave (thankfully the child lived with minor burns) or a toddler's body being stuffed into a rubbermaid tote and thrown over the causeway in Galveston here in Texas. Or the "great" state of California who is in such a financial crisis that politicians practically require math remedial education, the failing health institutions or the two-time rejection of gay marriage in a "liberal" state. And lest we forget Kansas, home of the WBC which consists of some of the most serious nutjobs conceived by humanity and the DEEPLY religious city of Newton. Dilapidated properties are a common sight in New Jersey, and I can see why... they tax the living **** out of you, and New Jersey residents admit it.

So you tell me, StillwaterTownie, who has the greener grass. Because in America, the reality is, it's all the same color. Just pick one of 50 different poisons.

On the flip side, every state has good attributes. But in Oklahoma, the state's qualities are repeatedly rebuked and quickly trumped by the negative nellies... the "poor me I live in Oklahoma" types, who have absolutey no intention of making a contribution to make our state a better place to live.

If you want to leave Oklahoma, fine, but leave for the right reasons, not because you dwell on negativity. It really destroys your credibility. I am in Texas because of family, not because I drank the "Oklahoma is backwards" Kool-Aid. At least Oklahoma is making an effort to improve its quality of life, unlike New York, where governments depend on tax welfare just to stay afloat.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 AM

498 posts, read 1,600,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It's the circle of life.
After spending $40 in auto inspections and $53 for car tags in Texas... it adds up to the same amount you pay in Oklahoma for new vehicles for registration. And it gets cheaper after 4 years.

I fail to see how it is cheaper in Texas. Some sheeple, I swear.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:33 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,463,874 times
I have never had a problem picking up and moving lock, stock, and barrel to points unknown.

I have worked in the far northwest ID fighting forest fires, post office work in Los Angeles, and mopping floors in Manhattan, KS to pay for my college. And I always meet people who are too afraid to leave. People with kids have to think of the children, that's a given, so they can't just up and leave.

Most smart people won't move to another state with no job and very little money, but I am not smart, I AM however very happy. I am of the mindset that if someone is unhappy, then by all means do something about it. And I am even happier knowing that I have lived and worked in other states than OK. That is a part of my education.

Some people are just natural born complainers, yet they won't go to the trouble of getting training, education, whatever to find other work that suits them better.

Most of America is on par with each other, and sure there are a few pockets of backwoods areas, but for the most part, people are people. Some people find money as the big draw and some like the peaceful rural settings.

Some are snootier than thou, and some are locked in by poverty, but on the whole, Oklahoma is not as backwards as some like to believe.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:47 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,444,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I have never had a problem picking up and moving lock, stock, and barrel to points unknown.

I have worked in the far northwest ID fighting forest fires, post office work in Los Angeles, and mopping floors in Manhattan, KS to pay for my college. And I always meet people who are too afraid to leave. People with kids have to think of the children, that's a given, so they can't just up and leave.

Most smart people won't move to another state with no job and very little money, but I am not smart, I AM however very happy. I am of the mindset that if someone is unhappy, then by all means do something about it. And I am even happier knowing that I have lived and worked in other states than OK. That is a part of my education.

Some people are just natural born complainers, yet they won't go to the trouble of getting training, education, whatever to find other work that suits them better.

Most of America is on par with each other, and sure there are a few pockets of backwoods areas, but for the most part, people are people. Some people find money as the big draw and some like the peaceful rural settings.

Some are snootier than thou, and some are locked in by poverty, but on the whole, Oklahoma is not as backwards as some like to believe.
>>>>>
<<<<<

Yep. And I'm a proud Oklahoma Redneck. Backwards = sure; that's like a badge of honor as far as I'm concerned. Do I care (especially for those that moved into the state and would like to change it) = no. They can go back to California or the East Coast and take their big city "snootier than thou" (<----LOL) attitude with 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma