Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
Some are snootier than thou, and some are locked in by poverty, but on the whole, Oklahoma is not as backwards as some like to believe.
<<<<<

Yep. And I'm a proud Oklahoma Redneck. Backwards = sure; that's like a badge of honor as far as I'm concerned. Do I care (especially for those that moved into the state and would like to change it) = no. They can go back to California or the East Coast and take their big city "snootier than thou" (<----LOL) attitude with 'em.
I agree. I went to a gathering in Mangum, OK a couple of weeks ago. At first glance I realized I was the only Native there. All the people were white, cowboy hats, etc., and even had one man walk up to me and ask what I wanted.

But after being there for awhile I realized there were more similarities. I recognized they were good, honest, hard working folks. And I have great respect for them and they treated me with respect.

That is why I don't buy into that crap being served up on the recently closed thread on the OKC forum. There are far too many good people in Oklahoma, some of whom I may have nothing in common with, and some I cannot relate to, but they are good people nonetheless.

That is why I took exception to the person putting down okies. How can you put down people in an entire state, most of whom you have never met, simply because they are different from you? You can't because you don't even know their character.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I agree. I went to a gathering in Mangum, OK a couple of weeks ago. At first glance I realized I was the only Native there. All the people were white, cowboy hats, etc., and even had one man walk up to me and ask what I wanted.

But after being there for awhile I realized there were more similarities. I recognized they were good, honest, hard working folks. And I have great respect for them and they treated me with respect.

That is why I don't buy into that crap being served up on the recently closed thread on the OKC forum. There are far too many good people in Oklahoma, some of whom I may have nothing in common with, and some I cannot relate to, but they are good people nonetheless.

That is why I took exception to the person putting down okies. How can you put down people in an entire state, most of whom you have never met, simply because they are different from you? You can't because you don't even know their character.
This is a great post my Friend.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:16 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I agree. People flee to a place and then complain that their new home is nothing like the place from which they fled. They then gripe about lack of high end shopping, blah blah. Things get built up, congested, then they complain that the place is exactly like the one they left and start looking for greener pastures. They're like termites. Eat up the supporting beams and move on to eat up some more somewhere else. Take all, give nothing. I'm not from OK, but I love OK, and I'd be pretty darned happy if/when I end up there, and will adjust to my new home. I love OK people and I love the state!
The only gripe I would have about OK, would be if it WAS like the state I left,(ca)
It's not even close.....Thank God.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:33 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
As a native Californian I say you have nothing to be embarrased about. Now, all I have dove is visit a few times, but your state is stunningly beautiful. It;s green everywhere, nice small towns, and friendly people.. You should be proud of Oklahoma, in six years I retire from work and Ok. is one of the places I'm concidering retiring to, lot's of lakes, nice folks, and not all the gready money chasing rat race I live in now. So be proud, look people right in the eye and tell them your from Oklahoma and damn proud of it... Most Californians won't even look you in the eye anymore. Sheepole is what I call em....
I'm with you there, I'm from SoCal

Old 03-08-2009, 11:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I'm with you there, I'm from SoCal
Me too. I knew I wanted OUT for a long time but didn't know where. I would never have thought of here except for a couple of friends who kept telling me about the area and Cushing. So I visited them and three months later moved here.

You couldn't drag me back to California. And I love it here. I'm so grateful to my friends for talking me into coming.

Just one thing, what's up with these earthquakes? They were supposed to stay in socal lol.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 AM

32 posts, read 60,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetasslady71 View Post
so funny, i agree, we, even our teams, must do our share of charity work....lol
i was raised in OK, and im proud as can be of that, im proud of the hard worken people, the love and warmth thats always spread around(just read OK forums) and I will aways love my "Sooners" till day I day!!!(hubby already knows to bury me in my sooner jacket!!)
but sad to say....in any state, your going to get folks who nit-pick everything that aint home to them, no one takes the time to move in, fit in and enjoy anymore...if they cant change everyone there where they moved to, they suck on lemons rest of their lives verses maken a tall cool glass of lemon aide and sharing with their new neighbors....so sad
As an avid OU football fan I agree with you..

Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 PM

493 posts, read 717,361 times
Some people just thrive on the negative. I can't stand that either. I'll admit, when I first moved here I nearly had a nervous breakdown. I am a Native New Yorker, and this is a CULTURE SHOCK... a HUGE ONE! I mean I went from listen to trains in the morning to the sound of cows across the street. I got myself together, figured out what I wanted to do here and with my husbands blessing got started and now I have found my niche and love it here. I gave the people and slower paced living a chance and now nearly 4 years later, I feel at home! I still get anxiety from time to time, but that won't go away overnight. It's my NY'er anxiety that surfaces, and instead of making anyone else feel bad about it, I talk to my husband and he always makes me feel better. Then we might go to one of the peaceful parks or for a nice scenic drive. You can't do that too readily in a big city!

I love it here!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:51 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
Some people just thrive on the negative. I can't stand that either. I'll admit, when I first moved here I nearly had a nervous breakdown. I am a Native New Yorker, and this is a CULTURE SHOCK... a HUGE ONE! I mean I went from listen to trains in the morning to the sound of cows across the street. I got myself together, figured out what I wanted to do here and with my husbands blessing got started and now I have found my niche and love it here. I gave the people and slower paced living a chance and now nearly 4 years later, I feel at home! I still get anxiety from time to time, but that won't go away overnight. It's my NY'er anxiety that surfaces, and instead of making anyone else feel bad about it, I talk to my husband and he always makes me feel better. Then we might go to one of the peaceful parks or for a nice scenic drive. You can't do that too readily in a big city!

I love it here!
I'm so happy it worked out for you. We moved here about a year ago from New Jersey, but DH and I had lived in various other states years ago, so we didn't suffer culture shock. However, my 19 year old son is having NJ withdrawal problems. He's coming along, though. Believe it or not, he misses the congestion, gloomy skies, closed-in atmosphere. But I have confidence that he'll settle in.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
I'm so glad that things worked out well for both of you. Xotik, you came from SUCH a different place that it's wonderful that you adjusted and feel at home now.

IF I ever get DH to relocate, I don't expect a tremendous culture shock. It just didn't feel that much different from here. (Except warmer. LOL)

Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 PM

55 posts, read 147,115 times
Well, I have left Oklahoma....once, for about 3 1/2 years. In the very beginning it was exciting because it was a new adventure, new scenery, new people. But it didn't take long before I hated every minute of it. I quit my job there and moved back to Oklahoma with no job prospects or anything. But, I just couldn't take it anymore. I didn't feel right. When I got back to Oklahoma it was like a weight had been lifted off of me. I was home and could now relax and enjoy life again.

It's certainly not that I haven't seen other places because I have. I've been to almost every state in the nation, I've been to Mexico (Acapulco specifically), Europe (Italy and Greece specifically), Hawaii, and many other places.....for short periods of time.....vacations and such. But, no matter where I've been I'm always thankful, glad, and very happy to be back home in Oklahoma. Of all the places I've seen there is nothing that compares to Oklahoma. Nothing! Other places are nice to visit but I was born in Oklahoma, raised in Oklahoma, and will die in Oklahoma. Not because I have to be here but because I choose to be here.

Also, because I have seen all these other places, I never take Oklahoma for granted. There are so many distasteful things in the world that a lot of people never get to see or witness in person. But once you have you understand what we have here in Oklahoma and that it cannot be replaced or duplicated anywhere else in the world.

So, by all means, if you don't like it here, then leave. Honestly, people that don't want to be here don't deserve to be here and shouldn't get to enjoy the sheer beauty and majesty of this absolutely magnificent gift from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma