U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2009, 08:41 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,687,172 times
Default Well Everyone

As of now my plans are to leave Oklahoma and transfer to a school in Illinois next year, near Chicago. Not that I don't love Oklahoma anymore, I'm just ready for a new experience.

Most of my family is from the upper Midwest and my parents agree that we do feel like we're out on an island here in Oklahoma. It's nothing like Illinois or Iowa and Wisconsin (where my parents are from). I recently had to go up to Wisconsin for a funeral and to me it just feels as much or more like home than here. I really do love it up there, cold and all, as hard as that is for everyone here to understand I'm ready for the day of no more "yall's" "coke" and 75 degree days in February. It's "you all" "pop" and 40 degree days in February

One benefit to going to school up that way is I'd really like to stay in that area after school. Once my dad retires in 8 years they are going to be leaving the state. Even if I don't return I'll always talk positively about Oklahoma. I just don't desire to raise my family in the same place I grew up. I've never moved and it's driving me nuts!

Anyway, just thought you'd all be interested to hear what my future plans will be.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 PM

2,928 posts, read 4,353,502 times
There is nothing wrong with finding your wings. Chicago is a beautiful city and we loved our visit there!! (I have a ton of pics. )

Sometimes "home" isn't where you were raised. I was born in CA and lived there for 45 years, but it when I came to OK for the first time I KNEW it was "home" and I haven't felt a moment of regret (or homesickness) since we moved here.

Spread your wings and find your place!!! But don't forget to drop by and say Hi once in awhile. Best wishes and have fun!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,687,172 times
Still going to be here until August, can't miss another legendary Oklahoma summer, ha!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 AM

3,238 posts, read 5,511,952 times
Good for you, Nameless. First of all living where you feel most comfortable is very important. Second, as a young person, you need to spread your wings and fly. This is definitely the best time to do it. Best of luck, and keep in touch. And feel free to complain about your last summer here!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 AM

11,882 posts, read 24,277,209 times
Nameless, you're doing a very positive thing. It is GOOD to get out and experience other places. As soon as I was 18, I left Oklahoma and went into the military; I will never regret that move. I lived in several states as well as internationally. It enriched my life and I think it was the best thing I ever did.

Good for you and I wish you the best of luck in your education as well as your life!

PS. As colleen said, complain about the summer to your heart's content!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:13 AM

5,810 posts, read 6,894,991 times
Thumbs up Do what you need to do

Well Nameless,

I think your doing the right thing, go out and take a look around at the world. Like Synopsis, I to left home at the age of 18 and went into the service and traveled all around the world. Its big, its wonderful and its yours to explore, go for it .
The only reason I came back to the worthless nut state (Ohio), was because my Mom and Dad were still alive and I felt a strong sense of responsiblity to take care of them till the good Lord called them home. They've gone home, so now its time for me and Bjb123 to move on. And when the time is right, we're Oklahoma bound. I know I keep saying that, but timing is the key to a good move.

Have fun and good luck on your move in August.

P.s. We've learned to hate Ohio's winters here by the snow belt.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:40 AM

492 posts, read 896,371 times
"When you need to be home, may you find your way."

Everybody's "home" is different and you are blessed that you know where yours is. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM

9,482 posts, read 6,491,914 times
I echo LadyRobyn here. The day I arrived here to visit friends (and see what the place was like) I knew this was it. I heard lots of "you'd leave California for where?" but ignored it. I took a picture of California fading off into the road as we drove away.

My only regret is that when I could have moved away ten years before I thought it would be too complicated and too far from .... and all the rest. I love this place and it is truely home now. Sometimes finding a new place and a new start and a new view is the best thing we can do for ourselves. Congrats on finding those wings and may you have a wonderful time anticipating.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to summer or not. Last year it was so dismally hot and dismally humid in Riverside I suspect it may not seem so bad here. At least not any worse.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:32 PM

3,701 posts, read 5,694,199 times
I'll echo what everyone else has said. Good luck and good wishes to you.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,147,855 times
Our son was raised in Texas but always thought he wanted to go up north, live in a cold climate. After college the went to the midwest for grad school and even further north (Wisconsin) to work after that. He like it all, enjoyed the experiences, enjoyed the people and the climate. But all of a sudden at the age of 27 he was ready to 'come home'....not 'home' but back to Texas. He's been here ever since and is very settled and satisfied to be where he is. But I am so glad he had those years experiencing other cultures and ways of life......if he had not done that he would never have been satisfied here - he would have felt that he'd missed out on something. So, for that reason, among others, I am happy for you that you and your family are in agreement that it's okay for you to get out and wander around a little and experience everything you can.

"Those who have high thoughts are ever striving; they are not happy to remain in the same place. Like swans that leave their lake and rise into the air, they leave their home and fly for a higher home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma