Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:49 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times

Advertisements

I was there. Lots of speeches, flag and sign waving and "we're not gonna take it anymore" chants.

I was there because I agreed -- our children and grandchildren will be paying for this debacle.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:53 PM

491 posts, read 1,476,034 times
The OSU one was pretty poorly planned and organized. It was a last-minute deal so that students wouldn't have to miss class and travel out of town. There were still about 30-40 of us and the Stillwater Newspress showed up.

GP, thanks for the political rant. I was there to protest ALL government overspending and the frivolous use of my tax dollars by ANYONE.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:02 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
I will be attending the Tea Party in Fort Worth this evening from 6 - 8 PM. There was one in Hurst at noon literally a few blocks from our home but I was unable to attend.

http://www.star-telegram.com/elections/story/1317508.html (broken link)

Old 04-15-2009, 01:27 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDawn View Post
The OSU one was pretty poorly planned and organized. It was a last-minute deal so that students wouldn't have to miss class and travel out of town. There were still about 30-40 of us and the Stillwater Newspress showed up.

GP, thanks for the political rant. I was there to protest ALL government overspending and the frivolous use of my tax dollars by ANYONE.
It isn't political (much). But we have a new tax cut as of today designed to provide more funds for individuals making less than $250,000. It is part of the Presidents stimulus package. I do not see why there is a protest. Further if you look at the website you proffered, you will see that it is largely an idea that was generated by the nay sayer GOP leadership. They are the ones who spent us into the current deficits and they are the ones who created the current tax levels. Now all they do is complain how the current administration is messing up while offering nothing more in ideas for a cure for the current debacle than the failed policies that got us into this situation.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:34 PM

You say "they" as if every member of the GOP is responsible for the recent events. Stop being so aggressive and antagonistic. I'm done arguing with you. The intent of this thread was to hear from people who ARE going and what they saw. Nothing in the original post asked for opinions from those who didn't care to go.

Synopsis, I wish we had one at night here. It would've been easier for people to go.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Anyone participating?

Fresh Tea Daily » Oklahoma
that was the op........I responded "hell no" and explained why......but ok,

Quote:
The intent of this thread was to hear from people who ARE going and what they saw. Nothing in the original post asked for opinions from those who didn't care to go.
I guess I've been chastised, haven't I? Sorry to have injected a response to your thread....it won't happen again.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:52 PM

LOL go to your room

Old 04-15-2009, 03:15 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
See how you are Goodpasture. Butting in on a perfectly good thread about a perfectly good question on a public forum. Weren't you the one that was asking about offending people last week?

Old 04-15-2009, 03:22 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,574 times
ok, the gop spent us into the current deficit. got it. i was there today for that and for the current leaders doubling or quadrupling that deficit. sorry but you cant incur more debt to get out of trouble. you cant spend spend and print money, it doesnt work. wont work on a micro (home) scale or macro scale. ussr and venezuela tried that and didnt turn out very well for them.
anyway, no riots or burning effigys or storming the castle walls. it was very peaceful.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:07 PM

Default Seeing how HD doesn't want me to post on her Tea Party thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
ok, the gop spent us into the current deficit. got it. i was there today for that and for the current leaders doubling or quadrupling that deficit. sorry but you cant incur more debt to get out of trouble. you cant spend spend and print money, it doesnt work. wont work on a micro (home) scale or macro scale. ussr and venezuela tried that and didnt turn out very well for them.
anyway, no riots or burning effigys or storming the castle walls. it was very peaceful.
Once upon a time there was a group of people running a government that believed government should be run like a business. When the normal business cycled, and a recession would begin, they would tighten the belts for the government. After all, when you have less income, you spend less, was the rationale. When business began laying off, to enhance the "business environment" tariffs were increased, and banking regulations were relaxed. Again, the belief was that if you provided business with enough money and protection and freedom that the economy would recover. It didn't. It went from a business cycle recession to a major depression. Jobs were lost, families were evicted from their homes.

Then a new leader was put into place with a different philosophy. the idea came from an Englishman who said "When business lays off workers, what has to be done is provide employment for those laid off workers." That offsets the depression creating loss in spending, because workers who were working for industry were now working for government projects. Thus the impact of the recession would be lessened and it's duration would be less. This novel idea suggested that if we (the government) deficit spend when business was slow, then we could tax more when business could more afford it, and over the course of time balance the budget......maybe not over one or two periods, but over the years it would be possible.

Unfortunately this did not occur until the depression was into it's 4th year. so reviving the economy was staggeringly difficult. Unemployment in some sectors was as much as 50% and overall was close to 25%. through massive spending and investment in infrastructure projects (things like the TVA, CCC, etc) unemployment, over the next 6 years dropped by more than 10%. It increased slightly about 8 years into the recovery because the former leaders persuaded the new leader that he was spending too much. Then came a war where every man was put in uniform (given a job) every able bodied woman was given a job (rosie the riveter?) and the government began building airplanes and ships and tanks and guns and bullets and uniforms and shoes and blankets and sleeping bags.....all with money that the government did not have. All with borrowed money. It was the most massive government spending program in the history of man. to pay for it, people who made more than $250,000 a year paid 93% of their income in taxes!

This created the greatest middle class in the history of the world and made the United States the most prosperous country the world has ever seen. Government Spending + High Taxes = Prosperity. This is a history lesson. It is fact. It is well recorded.

today, there was "tea party" to protest taxes. What I find amazing is that the people protesting are getting a tax cut. the people making more than $250,000 a year are supporting the protest because their tax rate is getting increased. It is NOT going back to the post war 93%.....the protest is over the tax for the wealthiest one percent of the country going up from 32% to 35%. this is a 3 (THREE) percent increase.

Now explain to me the reason for the protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma