Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
I didn't have to imagine... That's ME!!! Except for the apprehensive part. You'll find me outside snapping pics until the hail threatens to damage my camera.
I have given up trying to take pictures of lightening. I dropped my camera the day before I moved and discovered that wasn't what they meant by "shockproof" so now when the rain drops threaten to get my new one all wet I go inside.

I will admit to apprehension. Yeah, its the unknown. But been through numerous earthquakes with no warning. Last one in a building known to be sitting on top of a large water leak ( can you say a sinking feeling? ) and curiously I see the attitude of natives here about tornados and Californians about earthquakes pretty much the same. The cool stuff about this state outweighs the tornados. Anyway, when the BIG one comes it will knock down/sink a lot more than a tornado. You take your chances, I guess.

I'm thinking of getting a wireless connection for my laptop and wish I could get one of those that works for 6 hours on battery. Then storms could come and I could still practice my favorite hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I have given up trying to take pictures of lightening. I dropped my camera the day before I moved and discovered that wasn't what they meant by "shockproof" so now when the rain drops threaten to get my new one all wet I go inside.

I will admit to apprehension. Yeah, its the unknown. But been through numerous earthquakes with no warning. Last one in a building known to be sitting on top of a large water leak ( can you say a sinking feeling? ) and curiously I see the attitude of natives here about tornados and Californians about earthquakes pretty much the same. The cool stuff about this state outweighs the tornados. Anyway, when the BIG one comes it will knock down/sink a lot more than a tornado. You take your chances, I guess.

I'm thinking of getting a wireless connection for my laptop and wish I could get one of those that works for 6 hours on battery. Then storms could come and I could still practice my favorite hobby.
Most, if not all, laptops have the ability to connect wirelessly these days nightbird.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
You know, I can kind of understand the fear that some people who have of tornadoes. Can you imagine moving to tornado alley when you're 50 years old, never had to seek shelter, never seen tornado aftermath, etc? It would make a person apprehensive.
That's me too! I generally run outside with the sirens go off to see what's going on. The last time the sirens went off in February I was at work, and my co-worker and I ran outside to look, but another co-worker kept yelling at us to go to the shelter. Hah! Nothing happened, but we were able to spot the tornado that touched down in NW OKC that day.

I LOVE severe weather.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
That's me too! I generally run outside with the sirens go off to see what's going on. The last time the sirens went off in February I was at work, and my co-worker and I ran outside to look, but another co-worker kept yelling at us to go to the shelter. Hah! Nothing happened, but we were able to spot the tornado that touched down in NW OKC that day.

I LOVE severe weather.
Me, too. That's kinda funny about what you do in severe weather. We do the same thing.

They've cancelled school out west because of their blizzard. Ironic cause we're over here waiting for severe storms summer storms~still feels very humid and I love it.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
We had quarter size hail at my house in Stillwater last night. I was watching them break in on Channel 4 then went outside to look. Swirling clouds were coming down Hwy 51...then the ice chunks started and I went inside. At least it didnt hurt my tulips.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM

657 posts, read 1,599,922 times
Quote:

I LOVE severe weather.
ditto! I went out about 40 miles northwest of Duncan last night and got some video/pictures of the absolutely AMAZING light show.. managed to stay ahead of the heavy rain/hail. looking forward to the next wave!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 PM

491 posts, read 1,475,871 times
I posted a few pics of the hail in Stilly. Pretty good showing, actually.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,153 times
Quote:
That would be the one that touched down/started 50 yards from my office. We spent hours in the basement that day. Luckily my Jeep didnt get anything except small hail damage, but it is hard to believe when you see buildings ripped apart across the street.

Last edited by prerunner1982; 03-25-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 03-25-2009, 05:36 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
That would be the on that touched down/started 50 yards from my office. We spent hours in the basement that day. Luckily my Jeep didnt get anything except small hail damage, but it is hard to believe when you see buildings ripped apart across the street.
Tornadoes do funny things sometimes. I remember one when I was a kid that wiped out a church steeple a block from us, but left the power pole beside it completely alone. Looked a bit odd, perfectly good power pole about 20' from the rubble - the church itself wasn't damaged either, just the steeple, which was actually a big bell tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma