Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,283,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Your NEW computer doesn't have a modem? I thought all computers have a built in modem these days. It probably has plug and play.

You have done an amazing amount of things in your life. I know you can do this, Kari. Come on, we all believe in you.

This will be the Official Get Kari to Set Up Her New Computer thread.

I will even bribe you.

First bid: 50 apples for your horse if you do it.
AT&T's DSL had a little modem that connects everything. The computer has a built in modem, but it's only good for dial up, not high speed.

Lola would be in pig heaven. I cut them up for her, and she still slobbers bits of apple all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Karibear.......

You mean that birds don't feast off this tree during "Cat Season"?
Ummm.... what tree?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,343,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Ummm.... what tree?
OOOPS!...wrong thread....

Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
Quote:
AT&T's DSL had a little modem that connects everything. The computer has a built in modem, but it's only good for dial up, not high speed.

Lola would be in pig heaven. I cut them up for her, and she still slobbers bits of apple all over.
Not that I doubt your word, but how do you know the modem is only good for dial up? If it is a new computer, wouldn't it be eqipped with a modem that can handle any connection?

I have a Dell that I bought in 03, and even then it was 4 years old. All I did was hook it up and it handled dial up, then the switch to DSL speed.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
OOOPS!...wrong thread....
Oh, you mean the fish bait caterpillars. Those are big suckers - none of the birds I've seen around here are anywhere near big enough to eat them. I'm not sure even a chicken would go for one.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Not that I doubt your word, but how do you know the modem is only good for dial up? If it is a new computer, wouldn't it be eqipped with a modem that can handle any connection?

I have a Dell that I bought in 03, and even then it was 4 years old. All I did was hook it up and it handled dial up, then the switch to DSL speed.
I assume that the techie types at ATT know what they are talking about - that's what they told me, and they sent it to me. It has a different size jack and a filter with it so I can use the land line phone while I'm on the internet. Can't do that with regular dial up, at least I never could before. I either had to have a second number or disconnect the computer's line to use the phone. Besides, once I get it going, I'll probably pay a bit more and get it kicked up to en even higher speed.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
Quote:
I assume that the techie types at ATT know what they are talking about - that's what they told me, and they sent it to me. It has a different size jack and a filter with it so I can use the land line phone while I'm on the internet. Can't do that with regular dial up, at least I never could before. I either had to have a second number or disconnect the computer's line to use the phone. Besides, once I get it going, I'll probably pay a bit more and get it kicked up to en even higher speed.
The back of my computer has two different size jacks. One for phone line and two the size of the T1 lines. I would be willing to bet if you simply plugged in your new computer it would run like a top.

Do you have magnifying glasses to help you see? We have them because my eyes are actually worse than Don's when it comes to seeing small print. I can't even see the caller ID on our phone.

Have you even set up your new computer to get it running without hooking it up to the internet?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,803,918 times
RB, Kari is talking about a T1 cable... that is the one you have to use for DSL, and it is larger than a regular phone line. It goes from the DSL modem to the computer. Her *regular* phone line will go from the wall to the DSL modem.

And the "filters" are something she has to plug into EVERY phone outlet in the house to seperate the internet signal from the phone signal. That way she can still get phone calls while she is online. (DSL comes through the phone lines)

I just hope she has better luck with the DSL than we did! We spent more time OFF-line than we did ON and even the tech guy never figured out why.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 AM

35 posts, read 69,464 times
hi there,
i am searching for family members of a jimmy spears, i know it is a pretty common name but, he was from around commerce okla. he had a daughter with a woman which was my mother. they never married and i have never met him. i searched sometime ago and was told he had passed away. he had a sister named barbara and there was another sis, but i can't think for the life of me, i was told he had a set of twins. if anyone has any info. i would just like to meet, nothing else.
freewebs.com/littletommycraddock

Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
The back of my computer has two different size jacks. One for phone line and two the size of the T1 lines. I would be willing to bet if you simply plugged in your new computer it would run like a top.

Do you have magnifying glasses to help you see? We have them because my eyes are actually worse than Don's when it comes to seeing small print. I can't even see the caller ID on our phone.

Have you even set up your new computer to get it running without hooking it up to the internet?
Those T1 jacks on your computer make it possible to use it on a LAN for an office environment, but not as a straight modem, or at least that's what I was told way back when.

It's not the plugging in part, it's all the sites that recognize my computer - if it doesn't have the right cookies, I have to reset everything, and since I pay my bills online, believe me, it's a nightmare. It took 6 months for one site to believe my old computer was actually the right one after I changed me email address, and I kept having to answer all their security questions over and over and over... I'll also have to enter the passwords for my email accounts, which I don't think I have anymore, so I'll have to have ATT reset them for me. And I'll have to copy and move all my saved websites, which is going to be another hassle.

Yes, the new one is set up and running. I haven't yet hooked the printer or scanner up, or plugged in the speakers, but that's easy. The only dicey part of that will be figuring out where to put the monitor to get it out of the way so I can plug all those into the back of it - having two complete set ups side by side makes things a bit crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma