Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Nope....I'm done. Coburn announced town hall meetings across the state, I said I would be embarrassed to attend, I explained why, I'm done. It is perfectly acceptable for others to hold different views. I expressed mine as well. Any further discussion on Mr Coburn will have to engage others, not me.
The only reason I'm with Coburn is because of HB1804.......he's against Illegal Immigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:03 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Isn't he the guy who is one of the most ineffective senators every because of his inability to work with others and get things done?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
The only reason I'm with Coburn is because of HB1804.......he's against Illegal Immigation.
Big deal. So is just about everybody else .....

Old 04-07-2009, 03:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
I pretty much go with goodpasture on not caring much for Coburn and his views. Coburn is mainly a crusader for the religious right bunch. He probably pretty much agrees right on with Sally Kern in that area.

One other concern I have about Coburn is his political philosophy might keep him from working hard to bring in federal dollars to Oklahoma.

I won't be but if I was going to the Coburn meeting, I would try to be sure to bring along a recording device so I could record it. Later I would edit out the time consuming boring parts, keep in the interesting parts and put it up on the Internet.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:40 PM

144 posts, read 484,511 times
His vote on anti-abortion probably stems from the fact that he is an OB-GYN and he knows the damages it does to the female body.

He is anti-spending. I think it is great that we have someone in there that is against spending every last penny we have.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:37 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
His vote on anti-abortion probably stems from the fact that he is an OB-GYN and he knows the damages it does to the female body.
Probably? Ok
Quote:
He is anti-spending. I think it is great that we have someone in there that is against spending every last penny we have.
You do know, as a BS of Economics, the difference between spend and invest? The difference in disposable income and discretionary income?

Bush spent Billions on Iraq. That is money that is not going to be returned to us in any manner whatsoever.

Investing in infrastructure is going to provide jobs today and tomorrow as well as provide for those things necessary for future growth. Investing in education pays dividends. Investing in highways and infrastructure pays dividends. Investing in health care pays dividends. Investing in green energy pays dividends.

See Oklahoma Recovery & Reinvestment - Home

Old 04-07-2009, 05:34 PM

144 posts, read 484,511 times
Investing in infrastructure might pay in the short term, but you still have to maintain these roads and infrastucture. That comes out of the state's pockets in the long term. There are so many stipulations in the "stimulus package" that say the states will pick up the check and will have to once this money runs out. Like continuing to pay welfare to people not looking for jobs. That was something that Clinton put a cap on (month to get welfare).

Government funded healthcare, government funded green energy, government funded ..... That comes out of our pockets. It is one thing to have these things funded when we have money for it, it is another when we don't. That is simple accounting not economics. BO wants to spend more in his first two months in office then all the other Presidents combined!

A History lesson for you. Increasing taxes on the wealthy caused a recession in America in the 1930s. FDR's spending (your investing) caused the Great Depression (spending money the country didn't have). The only thing that brought us out of the Great Depression was WWII.

Where did Coburn become Bush in this thread? I think you lost me on that one. I was not defending Bush, I was defending Coburn. Why do Dems always twist things?

Bush spent billions. BO wants to spend Trillions! BIG DIFFERENCE! He wants to socialize America! You will see unemployment get higher and higher!

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 04-07-2009 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Not acceptable...

Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Investing in infrastructure might pay in the short term, but you still have to maintain these roads and infrastucture. That comes out of the state's pockets in the long term. There are so many stipulations in the "stimulus package" that say the states will pick up the check and will have to once this money runs out. Like continuing to pay welfare to people not looking for jobs. That was something that Clinton put a cap on (month to get welfare).
Wow....did you proof read that? You are saying that for the long term an infrastructure investment is a bad thing? by this reasoning I suppose it is best not to roof a house (investment in infrastructure), because in 20 years the roof will have to be replaced and the homeowner will face those bills?

Quote:
Government funded healthcare, government funded green energy, government funded ..... That comes out of our pockets. It is one thing to have these things funded when we have money for it, it is another when we don't. That is simple accounting not economics. BO wants to spend more in his first two months in office then all the other Presidents combined!
Good. It is needed.

Quote:
A History lesson for you. Increasing taxes on the wealthy caused a recession in America in the 1930s. FDR's spending (your investing) caused the Great Depression (spending money the country didn't have). The only thing that brought us out of the Great Depression was WWII.
A history lesson for you. The Great Depression began in 1929 under the guidance of Herbert Hoover, Republican. He won election on the promise of more deregulation, more prosperity and more boons for big business. He promised that the recession resulting from the Crash of 1929 would be brief and that prosperity was just around the corner.

But he was just the end result of two terms of deregulation and supply side economics. In 1920, President Warren G. Harding's election heralded a new age of political and economic conservatism. The Republican Congress, for example, passed the Esch-Cummins Transportation Act in 1920 to deregulate the railroads and return them to private control. Furthermore, the conservative Supreme Court reversed their previous Adkins v. Children's Hospital ruling, stripping women workers of all special labor protection. As a result of the resurgence of political and economic conservatism, big business reigned supreme, and labor movements dwindled. When Harding died unexpectedly in 1923, the even more conservative Calvin Coolidge became president and continued to push his predecessor's conservative policy. Coolidge was then elected to another term in the three-way election of 1924. In 1928 Hoover won and was President for 4 years until the Crash of 1929 became a country wide depression.

Roosevelt won in 1932 and began the New Deal. He successfully, through Keynes advice, deficit spent and reduced substantially the impact of the depression until WWII began which was the biggest expenditure of all.....moreover, WWII created full employment, creating the greatest deficits ever incurred but all that government spending (on soldiers and Rosie the Riveter) created the greatest middle class of all. The only thing Obama should be doing is spending twice what he is now.

Quote:
Bush spent billions. BO wants to spend Trillions! BIG DIFFERENCE!
No, the difference is that Bush SPENT, Obama is INVESTING......Therein lies the difference.......

Quote:
He wants to socialize America! You will see unemployment get higher and higher!
Unemployment is already reducing in parts of the country. Your fear mongering and label hurling cannot disguise or hide the truth....Obama is succeeding where traditional conservatism has failed, and failed miserably.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 04-07-2009 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to edited post...

Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Which is a pretty condescending reason. As an adult female I will make my own decisions about my own body.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Well it doesn't look like there is a full moon outside but who knows?

Keep the debate to Coburn, his political views, and Oklahoma please!

(Thank-you. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma