Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:10 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,093,719 times

Advertisements

As a kid, out neighbors germant shepard would run and jump into the thier bath and pee all over its self, .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 07:12 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,286,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Thanks Karibear,

The best part about all that thunder and booming is the fresh smell in the air after its all over with . The lighting charges the air with + & - ions and the is so clean.
It's always fresh here, the only difference is the lack of dust during and right after a rain.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
It's always fresh here, the only difference is the lack of dust during and right after a rain.
What!? You don't like that beautiful red dust (dirt) that Oklahoma has to offer?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 PM

171 posts, read 325,798 times
Default Beautiful Red Dirt

Quote:
What!? You don't like that beautiful red dust (dirt) that Oklahoma has to offer?
The fire in my area started about 1/2 mile west of me, and moved horribly quickly over the hill. I was working out in the back yard and smelled smoke, and by the time I called 911 and went back outside, it was in my yard. My entire 20 wooded acres burned black, except exactly in the middle where my house sits. I had just watered and raked leaves away from everything the two days prior to the fires. My house was spared, but lost my workshop/shed and all my chickens and their houses and my garden shed. I "started over" by myself just 4 years ago, late in life, with hardly anything, and was so proud to be here. All my homebuilding saws, sanders, weedeater, lawn mowers, all my electrical and plumbing supplies went up in smoke with the workshop. I had an older home moved into my property, set up on a real foundation and was remodeling my house, wiring and all. New sinks, lighting fixtures and wiring...everything....was in the workshop.

Now, I look out the windows and see all around the house is nothing but black, burned trees. But, the drive into the property is Oklahoma Red Dirt, and it looks beautiful now, with patches of green remaining!

My home was spared, but just down the road, within a mile's length, are at least 16 homes that we drove past that are no longer there. They lost everything. Nothing has been mentioned on TV that I heard, about our area, so I'm sure there's even more homes out there that are still yet to be counted. Anyway, I still love my red dirt acreage, and I've been assured that by the time the half burned trees fall, that things will be green again. Thank God for the blessing of the Easter Rains today!

No squirrels, deer or bunny rabbits have been seen yet, but the red birds have returned. My dogs and cats are calming back down, so life is good. Just lots of hard work ahead, but very grateful for what is left!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,915,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
The fire in my area started about 1/2 mile west of me, and moved horribly quickly over the hill. I was working out in the back yard and smelled smoke, and by the time I called 911 and went back outside, it was in my yard. My entire 20 wooded acres burned black, except exactly in the middle where my house sits. I had just watered and raked leaves away from everything the two days prior to the fires. My house was spared, but lost my workshop/shed and all my chickens and their houses and my garden shed. I "started over" by myself just 4 years ago, late in life, with hardly anything, and was so proud to be here. All my homebuilding saws, sanders, weedeater, lawn mowers, all my electrical and plumbing supplies went up in smoke with the workshop. I had an older home moved into my property, set up on a real foundation and was remodeling my house, wiring and all. New sinks, lighting fixtures and wiring...everything....was in the workshop.

Now, I look out the windows and see all around the house is nothing but black, burned trees. But, the drive into the property is Oklahoma Red Dirt, and it looks beautiful now, with patches of green remaining!

My home was spared, but just down the road, within a mile's length, are at least 16 homes that we drove past that are no longer there. They lost everything. Nothing has been mentioned on TV that I heard, about our area, so I'm sure there's even more homes out there that are still yet to be counted. Anyway, I still love my red dirt acreage, and I've been assured that by the time the half burned trees fall, that things will be green again. Thank God for the blessing of the Easter Rains today!

No squirrels, deer or bunny rabbits have been seen yet, but the red birds have returned. My dogs and cats are calming back down, so life is good. Just lots of hard work ahead, but very grateful for what is left!
Gawd do I love women like you..........

Old 04-12-2009, 08:43 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,286,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post

At least you still have your house. A couple decades ago, we had a fire that destroyed our house, and by the time the insurance company and the lender got done trying to prove it was arson on the part of myself, my husband, or my son, we lost the whole thing, and I still had to sue the insurance company to get recompense for some of what we'd lost. All that survived was a couple of cast iron skillets - and I was always grateful that none of the animals were left inside that day. Starting over is a b*tch, but it can be done, with plenty of determination and grit. I'll be rooting for you.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,330,656 times
Hippie Lady, (I love your name, by the way) that is such a sad story. I'm sorry you lost a lot of what you'd worked so hard for. There was one huge blessing in it and that's the fact that you and your house and your dogs and cats were spared. Do you plan on building things back up again?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Hippie Lady, (I love your name, by the way) that is such a sad story. I'm sorry you lost a lot of what you'd worked so hard for. There was one huge blessing in it and that's the fact that you and your house and your dogs and cats were spared. Do you plan on building things back up again?
I hope she does rebuild . The tough get tougher, the scared run. And she sounds like a lady that knows how to get tough.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:19 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,330,656 times
Quote:
I hope she does rebuild . The tough get tougher, the scared run. And she sounds like a lady that knows how to get tough.
I hope she does, too. The reason I was wondering was because of her name. Sometimes when we get a bit older, some things just don't seem to be worth it anymore. Maybe something to do with our bodies slowing down or something.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I hope she does, too. The reason I was wondering was because of her name. Sometimes when we get a bit older, some things just don't seem to be worth it anymore. Maybe something to do with our bodies slowing down or something.
I try to tell everybody that, it may be an old chassis, but it has young fluid running through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma