Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 AM

657 posts, read 1,595,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC760 View Post
Ok...so you're saying that any sunshine east of the Mississippi is not authentic sunshine. I wonder what East coast residents have to say about that...

having moved here from Connecticut.. (east coast, right? ) I can agree with her 100%. the sky here is nothing like the sky anywhere else, especially on either of the coastlines (both of which i have made my domicile for extended periods).

Old 04-26-2009, 08:34 AM

297 posts, read 584,288 times
Well, the sky is cloudy today, but here in Maine the sky gets pretty darn blue. When I was living in Charleston I did notice that it was a lot duller though.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,921,499 times
Quote:
I just want to know why residents of Oklahoma think this particular state-NOT this country is so great. For example: what makes Oklahoma a better place to live than say...Kansas or Texas or New York or (insert state here)?
Here is a great response

http://www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...city-area.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiefromAz View Post
Hello all! I recently found your forum about Oklahoma City and I am hooked! Thanks for providing a local board where I can read thoughts and questions of other Oklahomans as well as ones wanting to move here.

We moved to the area two years ago from Gilbert, Arizona. This is a suburb of Phoenix. I have come to love Oklahoma so much, we rarely go back to Az. We absolutely love living here!

The people are the best. I was used to being treated with a lack of respect and politeness. The people of OK are so kind and helpful. I strike up conversations with people where ever I go now...the grocery store, the gas station, Wal-Mart, or where ever I find myself! We have obtained so many friends in the last two years...more than we had the entire fifteen years we lived in the Phoenix area.

The kids love it! One thing they still haven't gotten used to is the greenery. So many trees and green grass. The smell of cut grass in the summer time. The rivers and lakes OK offers. We go canoeing down the rivers and camp often now. We take fun trips up to Tulsa or over to the Ozarks in Arkansas. On some long weekends, we go down to Texas or Branson. All so close to us now!

My husband landed a job within a week of moving here. (my job transferred me here, thus our move). He is in construction and actually makes more than he made at his company that he was with for a decade. Also, he is treated with respect at his work sites. As for me, I would never transfer back if they offered...even if they offered more pay. I am now an Oklahoman, and will not change that!

The weather is wonderful. We love the long springs, the change of seasons, and the bearable weather...year round. Sure it gets in the 90s in the summer and 40s in the winter, but that is not too bad at all. By September we are back in the 80s usually and summer just is not the dreaded time we were accustomed to. We actually love it when it snows. We also enjoy all the birds and wild life we see here.

The schools are of a good quality too. My son is in Jr. High and my daughter is in elementary school and they both seem to be getting more out of school than they ever had.

My only regret is we did not move here sooner. If anyone is contemplating moving to OK or is thinking of moving away...I can assure you OK is better in many aspects! Every place has its pros and cons, but I am delighted to be bragging about our new home, "Oklahoma"!
And if you don't like it here, I truly hope you find your place in the world that makes you happy. If you don't? It isn't like you haven't had the opportunity......

Old 04-26-2009, 02:19 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,447,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
It's not a matter of me investing my life into Oklahoma. (And who said I was looking for peace and solace?)

I chose a profession to pursue, looked for the school that fit what I was looking for, and ended up applying to a school in Oklahoma City. If I get accepted, I'm moving. If I find it's not for me, I'll leave when I'm finished with school. Simple as that.

Sure, I'm here to get all the info I can ~ Why else would I come to city-data.com? But the reason I joined the forum was more in the hopes of getting to know some Okies, whether natives or transplants who plan on staying. I've made great real life friendships with people I've met on other forums, and I'd hoped I might do the same here, since I'm likely going to be in the state at least 2 1/2 years, and maybe all my life if I love it as much as I expect I will.

Oh, and FYI, last time I checked, I was a woman.

But that's okay, I wouldn't expect you to know that, seeing as you apparently haven't read too many of my posts, since you assumed I didn't already know the 'other side of the story'.
Excellent post BornToFly. I pray all works out with your application process and that you get into the school of your choice to begin pursuing your career.

You seem to be a very open and courteous person and I'm sure you will fit right in here in the Sooner State because of your positive attitude.

Keep us all updated on the application process and blessings.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:55 PM

28 posts, read 47,185 times
Default Smoke-la-homa

Quote:
Actually it proves your list of what makes you hate Oklahoma an indication of your limited life experiences.
Yes, indeed. My experience of living in Oklahoma makes me unhappy living here. That's not to say that I hate Oklahoma, But I prefer not to live here. This is moot because I am in the armed forces and I knew I would be in places I wouldn't necessarily like, i.e. Iraq, Afghanistan, Oklahoma, etc.

Quote:
I notice you really toned down this post. Kudos. You have to be honest with yourself and admit your own unhappiness at being "forced" to be here.
Yes, I've made this quite clear. And if I haven't let me reiterate, I am unhappy living in Oklahoma right now. Why? Because I want to go outside and run/climb rocks/swim/surf/snowboard/outdoor activities/etc. Oklahoma is a horrible place for the aforementioned. I have to drive two hours to Mt. Scott to get my nature fix. Lake Hefner is alright, but that is still just a paved trail around a lake. Lake Thunderfoot trails and mount Scott are my favorite so far.

IN ANY CASE, I am in the military and it dosen't really matter what I think anyways, given my low rank. I am content enough not to be in boot camp anymore.

So if it makes people happier:

YAY OKLAHOMA IS NUMBER 1!! YEEEEEEEEHAWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OSU IS THE BEST COLLEGE SPORTS TEAM EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I think we have answered over and over why we feel Oklahoma is a desirable place.
Excellent.

Quote:
Anyway, good luck on your life in San Diego or wherever you end up. Hopefully, your parents are skinny, otherwise by the time you hit 30 you will become...... one of us FAT SLOBS who love greasy fast food!!!!
It's all about what you eat and exercise. That's another thing, how can anyone who is obese or overweight be happy with their lives? How can you enjoy life when you get winded by running 1/2 mile?(not saying you are fat; and if you are, please change your dietary/exercise habits)

Unostentatiously,
TWC

Last edited by TWC760; 04-26-2009 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: OSU IS # 1!!! NOT TEXAS!!! YAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Excellent post BornToFly. I pray all works out with your application process and that you get into the school of your choice to begin pursuing your career.

You seem to be a very open and courteous person and I'm sure you will fit right in here in the Sooner State because of your positive attitude.

Keep us all updated on the application process and blessings.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will certainly keep you updated!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:27 PM

657 posts, read 1,595,688 times
sorry about your thread, BTF...

Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,309,473 times
The only expression I picked up is "you all." sounds better than "you guys" and makes much more sense.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,766,861 times
Quote:
It's all about what you eat and exercise. That's another thing, how can anyone who is obese or overweight be happy with their lives? How can you enjoy life when you get winded by running 1/2 mile?(not saying you are fat; and if you are, please change your dietary/exercise habits)

Unostentatiously,
TWC
Amazingly enough, you may be very surprised to find out that there are millions of people who don't need to run more than 1/2 mile to be happy. And to say that anyone who is overweight cannot have a happy life is just a bit over the top.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
sorry about your thread, BTF...
No problemo, I've 'hijacked' a few threads myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
The only expression I picked up is "you all." sounds better than "you guys" and makes much more sense.
I agree, it does sound much better and makes more sense. I picked it up when I lived in SC, and people back here at home sometimes hesitate before responding when I use it, almost like they need a second to translate it back to 'you guys', but they've never said anything. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Amazingly enough, you may be very surprised to find out that there are millions of people who don't need to run more than 1/2 mile to be happy. And to say that anyone who is overweight cannot have a happy life is just a bit over the top.
Right. I'm technically like 45 pounds overweight, but I don't feel like I need to lose that much, or anything really, to be happy. To be healthy, yes, I will continue to lose weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma