U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM

293 posts, read 350,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC760 View Post
1)No, not at all. Oklahomans: Ya'all fixin to go to lunch? British: Excuse me, are you fine gentlemen sallying forth to negotiate the vending of baked goods?Me: Do you want to eat? 2)I've been living in Oklahoma for a little over 2 years, which is 2 years past the legal limit for native Californians.
HAHA!! That's great.

I wouldn't even say "Do you want to eat?" now. I'd say "You wanna eat?" or "You readyduh goduh lunch?" If I were talking to more than one person I might say "Y'all readyduh goduh lunch?" ... y'all is something I started saying after living in SC for a short time, which is why I think I might pick up some other little things. I don't mind though, I love the accent and the common phrases in the south. I doubt I'll pick up fixin' to, but we shall see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
LOL

I've been here for about 6 months, also California native. I suspect since I hibernated this winter and my friends are all internet types I haven't but we'll see. I did notice the weekend weather person on one of the local channels was absolutely clearly a California native. She was sluring her words and speaking really fast and I enjoyed it a lot.

But what is interesting to me is my California slur and speed has not been hard for anyone here to understand, even if the natives seem to speak a lot slower. By the way I love the native accent. I really wouldn't mind picking up a little of it actually, but never see myself sllloooowwwiiiinnngggg down that much.
I'm not sure what speed I talk at compared to southerners, but I have friends in California I used to talk to on the phone quite a bit, and they sounded a lot like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Not really, but some of the slang used here is the same as other places I've lived. Like - "It's too expensive" becomes "It's too spendy." I never was a fast talker, so I guess I fit in pretty well with the slower speech anyway. I've been here just over a year.
I say some different (sometimes odd) things in place of 'generic' phrases anyway, so I might say the same thing to you a different way every day of the week. I can't think of an example off the top of my head with my little sister in here trying to talk to me... maybe later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
been living here since sept. of last year (moved from connecticut).. I find the most prevalent saying i've picked up is "have a good'n" (have a good one).
I say have a good one, but I do sometimes slur it a little. I don't think it normally sounds like an "accent" though.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:23 PM

3,238 posts, read 5,508,136 times
The main thing I seem to have picked up is the constant use of y'all. I've been here a little over a year.

Last edited by colleeng47; 04-14-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM

11,882 posts, read 24,262,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
The main thing I seem to have picked up is the constant use of y'all. I'[ve been here a little over a year.
You are such a hick colleen...

Old 04-14-2009, 08:59 PM

2,928 posts, read 4,350,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You are such a hick colleen...
Colleen was BORN to live in Oklahoma...it just took her awhile to get here.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:23 PM

293 posts, read 350,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post

That's how I feel about myself! We'll see if it's true though.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 AM

3,238 posts, read 5,508,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post

Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 24,158,333 times
Robyn, what a cool thing to say!!!

The people in eastern Ok don't have much of an accent. There must be some areas though cause Reba talks with a very strong accent, but we didn't hear ANYONE speak like that when we visited and trust me~we MAKE people talk to us when we're out and about.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 AM

288 posts, read 576,387 times
"Y'all" is the one part of my Okie accent/dialect that I refused to let go. I took classes to sound more "mainstream" before going to Korea to teach, but trust me, there are thousands of Koreans who have been taught how to properly pronounce and use "y'all" from little tots to senior citizens. I considered it my duty as an Okie.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 AM

3,984 posts, read 3,489,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
"Y'all" is the one part of my Okie accent/dialect that I refused to let go. I took classes to sound more "mainstream" before going to Korea to teach, but trust me, there are thousands of Koreans who have been taught how to properly pronounce and use "y'all" from little tots to senior citizens. I considered it my duty as an Okie.
Given 'em a proper Okie education, LOL. Great job!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:35 PM

7,124 posts, read 9,232,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
That's how I feel about myself! We'll see if it's true though.
Foreign accents are so sexy..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma