Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:37 PM

288 posts, read 918,040 times

Advertisements

Eeew...ticks like water? I didn't know that increased rain would mean an increase in ticks. Blech

Hope the sun stays out long enough for me to get off work and get a glimpse of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:39 PM

491 posts, read 1,476,034 times
Ticks have been a pretty big pain for me this year too

Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
The storm hit Duncan pretty hard last night. The sirens came on and there was warnings on TV, 20min's later it looked and sounded like we were in a hurricane. Even with screens on, one of my bathroom windows were cracked from the heavy hail. I was more worried about the windshield on my truck I'll have to find something to protect it with

Old 05-14-2009, 04:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I learned more about the location of places in this state last night while watching the coverage. We got some rain later on, but only distant thunder and lightening. But didn't get to see the end of Lost...

Since the side yard is still squshy and the bugs are happily multiplying, some dry would be nice. A whole week would be wonderful. This year makes me think of the winter about four years ago in socal when it rained nearly daily from November to February and my room got flooded at least once a month. At least the house is above ground here rather than the furnature.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:02 PM

178 posts, read 489,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Not here, not at the moment, anyway. Sunny now, but we had a ripping t-storm last night and there's supposed to be more later. So far, it hasn't not rained long enough to dry anything out. And the last time I went outside I came back in covered with ticks, in spite of being soaked with Deep Woods Off. I really hate feeling them crawling around in places I can't reach!

Karibear, we use Cutter. Never had any luck with Off. Cutter is the best we've found for keeping ticks and skeeters away.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:51 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Okies are generally whiners when it comes to the weather. They always want to complain about it. Always, all the time.

In July and August when the yearly drought sets in they will complain cause it's too dry.

Be thankful for the rain. The opposite is 20X worse.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Moon View Post
Karibear, we use Cutter. Never had any luck with Off. Cutter is the best we've found for keeping ticks and skeeters away.
It worked fine last summer. Maybe this generation has inherited some kind of protection from it. Phooey. Just bought a new can, too... One of my temporary screens blew off last night and I had about half a pound of dead June bugs all over the floor this morning. It's really icky when you walk on them barefooted and they crunch!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:32 PM

288 posts, read 918,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I was more worried about the windshield on my truck I'll have to find something to protect it with
When I know that there is a good chance for hail, I drive my car to a carwash. Presto....protection on both sides and above. Of course...not such a good idea if there is a chance for tornadoes.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Okies are generally whiners when it comes to the weather. They always want to complain about it. Always, all the time.

In July and August when the yearly drought sets in they will complain cause it's too dry.

As one who is used to the arid conditions in socal, from March to September, two months of dry will be wonderful.

I've noticed that about the weather. My neighbors hibernated right along with me in the winter. I guess to really get used to the cold stuff you have to come from some place like Minnesota. Come summer with a real AC and windows for cross ventilation I'll be quite happy. Last year the humidity where I lived thanks to an Arizona monsoon that came early was about 65 to 70 percent all summer, with 100 plus, so my defination of hot and humid is pretty accepting.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 PM

491 posts, read 1,476,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post

I don't think that one month of no rain is 20X worse. You can't compare a drought to this deluge that's been going on lately. It's only been a few weeks. Droughts have to be a long time to be bad. So, no contest. Especially when wheat is now rotting in the field. And yes, we like to whine about our weather. I'm pretty sure we should be allowed to, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma