Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 12:02 AM

58 posts, read 193,945 times

Advertisements

I am now thinking about purchasing a vacation/retirement property in Poteau OK.
I am a person of color and am wondering whether I would need to be concerned about safety etc. in that area of OK.

I am single with few living relatives alive here. I have a dog and two parrots, love animals and basically just want to retire to a small one acre quiet rural property in an area near a lake or forest for peace and quiet. Church and home with occassional fishing would be my major activities.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 06:28 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,792,778 times
Hi Victor,
I wish you the best of luck on your retirement home. I don't know Poteau personally, but I'm sure that several of the folks that live around the Poteau area will get back to you with some details. The people in rural Oklahoma are generally some of the nicest you'll find, and don't concern themselves with the color of a person's skin as much as what's in their heart. I hope you get a chance to go to the area personally and get a feel for things. Again, congrats on retirement and I wish you all the best.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:45 PM

58 posts, read 193,945 times
Default Retirement to Poteau, OK

Thank you so much for your response. So far everyone I have dealt with regarding my move their have been so kind. I live in LA and I am so tired. I really really want a place to settle into, slow down and rest!

I visited Oklahoma approximately 10 years ago when my church visited ORU and Kenneth Hagin's Camp Meeting. I remember the open stretches of land and the wonderfully warm friendly people. I always said I would love to retire to OK.

I've done as much research as one can on the internet regarding climate, taxes, property values, cost of living etc. etc.. Your comments were very encouraging. I plan on flying there next weekend so I can take a look at the property I'm considering and finalze as much as I can pending closing of the purchase.

Thank you again!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:45 PM

17,617 posts, read 13,429,111 times
Poteau is a beautiful area for what you want. However, there is very little racial diversity there. There are some choctaw there, but there is no traditional african american community there. The closest would be about 15 miles in the Fort Coffee area around Spiro Oklahoma and about 35 miles distant in Ft. Smith Arkansas.

I do want to relate a story to you though. In the late 1950's a black man named John Montgomery came to Poteau because they were in dire need of a large animal veternarian. Dr. Montgomery and his family were pretty much the only black residents of Poteau. Over the years not only did Dr. Montgomery's practice thrive but he became an icon in the community. Ultimately, with the support of the community, he became famous as a philanthropist and veternarian across the state of Oklahoma.

In 1995 I was honored to hear Dr. Montgomery speak at the graduation ceremonies at the local college.

Although this story speaks of Dr. Montgomery's outstanding character, it is important to note that the city of Poteau and Leflore county allowed him to prosper during times which were rife with bigotry and segregation.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:10 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,792,778 times
That's a great story eddie, and reminds me of the very small town I grew up in Oklahoma (pop. 90). It was and still is a very rural area with almost no diversity at all, spare the traditional Native American presence. Growing up, there were almost no African Americans to be seen. There was one family in town that was of color and thinking back, I never thought of those folks any different from the rest of the town specifically because nobody treated them any differently. The whole town was farmers, there weren't any concerns about the color of your skin because it simply didn't matter to anyone. We all attended church, helped out on each other's farms when necessary, visited, talked, and in general lived our lives without thinking about such things.

Victor, I sincerely hope your trip goes well and you find that nice, laid-back place where you can retire and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Again, congratulations on retirement.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 56,894 times
I was in Poteau for the first time just a few weeks ago. It is a pretty locale, one I too would consider for retirement. The only thing I really know about Poteau is that low lying areas are prone to flooding. If you look at properties near creeks or rivers, keep that in mind.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,409 times
Thumbs down Moving To Poteau

Whatever you do DO NOT MOVE to poteau or any town that is in Leflore county,very radicual views,poltical coruption,and I have been there enough to know about half the population in Poteau or just in Leflore county is very rude/thoughtless people.If I were you I would try Owasso,Durant,Ft Gibson all nice towns great people and atmosphere. If you really want to subject yourself to Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma