U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2009, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,340,531 times
Reputation: 6178

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCntryBumpkin View Post
I never new Kah-leee-phoneie-uns had an accent. .
Dude, Like we don't have like an accent, Dude, So Chill Bro........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2009, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,172,471 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Dude, Like we don't have like an accent, Dude, So Chill Bro........
Who would want to move to Oklahoma from California?............................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Status: "hmm, what to do with all the cat food I just bought...." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,407 posts, read 16,636,146 times
Reputation: 16394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Who would want to move to Oklahoma from California?............................
Careful, don't give too many people ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,172,471 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Careful, don't give too many people ideas
I don't think we have to worry to much about that. There are plenty of Californian's that couldn't handle Oklahoma ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Status: "hmm, what to do with all the cat food I just bought...." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,407 posts, read 16,636,146 times
Reputation: 16394
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCntryBumpkin View Post
That's funny nightbird47. I too am a 3rd gen, but I lived in Tulsa for 10 years, and was stationed in Texas many, many moons ago, so they always ask me here, "Where ya from?"

I never new Kah-leee-phoneie-uns had an accent. Is it the "like" and "you know like" every two words????

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK THERE! The humidity was "different" but usually the attic fan worked at night. During the day I took plenty aspirin, put a bandana around my head (wet) and stayed outside from early morning and DID NOT GO INTO THE A/C (had a "can" in the garage!!) and that seemed to keep me workin' in the yard all day. I'll still take the humidity any day to what's happened here: smog, people, no money, crummy roads, etc., etc., etc.
Origionally my family came from the midwest via the south so when I was a kid I'd use phrases and words that were clearly midwest and confuse people. I had no clue then why they asked. I'm sure if I never set foot in the state again I'll always sound like I'm from there, and that "like/you know". Just rather not know how much I use it.

I've been told that saying the I-40 over the 40 is also a California thing too.

When I got back into socal off the train last november I couldn't wait to leave. Even out in the desert the smog was noticiable and my eyes itched constantly. I had to go to downtown LA over the weekend and ...ugh, no way ever again.

It still amazes me how cyclic the weather is. At least you can watch the weather report and know that a front is approaching and how soon its expected so if the sky clouds to gunk and the temperature drops fifteen degrees your forwarned. socal (where I lived atleast) was between the beach influence and the desert influence so we'd go from 95 to 60 in a day but it was always a surprise.

I still remember the reaction of those I told when I said I was moving to Oklahoma. "Why would you want to move THERE????" Guess not everyone knows the secret LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,172,471 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Origionally my family came from the midwest via the south so when I was a kid I'd use phrases and words that were clearly midwest and confuse people. I had no clue then why they asked. I'm sure if I never set foot in the state again I'll always sound like I'm from there, and that "like/you know". Just rather not know how much I use it.

I've been told that saying the I-40 over the 40 is also a California thing too.

When I got back into socal off the train last november I couldn't wait to leave. Even out in the desert the smog was noticiable and my eyes itched constantly. I had to go to downtown LA over the weekend and ...ugh, no way ever again.

It still amazes me how cyclic the weather is. At least you can watch the weather report and know that a front is approaching and how soon its expected so if the sky clouds to gunk and the temperature drops fifteen degrees your forwarned. socal (where I lived atleast) was between the beach influence and the desert influence so we'd go from 95 to 60 in a day but it was always a surprise.

I still remember the reaction of those I told when I said I was moving to Oklahoma. "Why would you want to move THERE????"
Quote:
Guess not everyone knows the secret LOL
Let's try and keep it that way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 05:36 AM
 
215 posts, read 442,621 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

I still remember the reaction of those I told when I said I was moving to Oklahoma. "Why would you want to move THERE????" Guess not everyone knows the secret LOL
AND I don't tell them why!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 AM
 
498 posts, read 1,364,209 times
Reputation: 507
Voice #1: "Just wanted to let you know I'm moving back to Oklahoma in a few weeks."

Voice #2: "Oklahoma!? Why on earth would you want to move there?"

Voice #1: "Why, do you plan on moving with me?"

Voice #2: "Well, no... but..."

Voice #1: "Then you don't need to know why."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 AM
 
3,714 posts, read 8,106,470 times
Reputation: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Voice #1: "Just wanted to let you know I'm moving back to Oklahoma in a few weeks."

Voice #2: "Oklahoma!? Why on earth would you want to move there?"

Voice #1: "Why, do you plan on moving with me?"

Voice #2: "Well, no... but..."

Voice #1: "Then you don't need to know why."
ROFL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Norman
330 posts, read 874,236 times
Reputation: 290
There are plenty of Californians here already because I see them driving on the freeways the same way they did in California. That's not going to git'r done here. Besides, troopers and other badges will still pull you over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 PM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top