Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:44 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You act as if the europeans brought those diseases intentionally. They had no idea they were bringing them.
That was not my intention. I doubt if any of the Europeans even thought about disease, at least not if they weren't sick themselves - then it was entirely personal. It's just that when a given society has had certain diseases long enough, they develop at least a partial immunitiy. Eventually, there were some instances where certain diseases were deliberatly exposed to American Indians, using them as a weapon in a sort of guerilla warfare. Different areas of the world have different immunities and genetic predispositions to various conditions that are contrary to current lifestyles, diets, and so on in other parts of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Anyway, this thread is not on indigenous/white history. Let's stay on topic.
I like that idea! Thanks!!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:33 PM

28 posts, read 62,991 times
The big problem we are faced with in OK, NM, and TX is that the returning californians bring their toxic liberalism back with them.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson View Post
The big problem we are faced with in OK, NM, and TX is that the returning californians bring their toxic liberalism back with them.
I hear ya = leave it there in the Pacific....don't bring it to the Promised Land (Oklahoma of course).

Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
I don't think everyone from California is a liberal. Have you ever lived in California?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:41 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
I don't think everyone from California is a liberal. Have you ever lived in California?
I did up to a year ago. I can assure you that some of the most concervative of the conservatives live there. And the most leftist of the leftists live there. Both the Black Panthers and the John Birch society came out of California.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:44 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
The only Californians that I know who are or have gone to Oklahoma are the ones returning home or the ones stopping there enroute to someplace else.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I did up to a year ago. I can assure you that some of the most concervative of the conservatives live there. And the most leftist of the leftists live there. Both the Black Panthers and the John Birch society came out of California.
I agree. And a great many more who are in between or who are like me and don't really get into all that idiotic "you are a conservative/liberal, and it's all your fault!" crap. Most people just want to make a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
The only Californians that I know who are or have gone to Oklahoma are the ones returning home or the ones stopping there enroute to someplace else.
Very true. So many NDNs returning home. I know the only ones who are staying are the ones who are finishing up their last years before retiring.

I have met a few here who sold their homes from $400K, which is considered quite a nest egg to those of us here.

We, meaning OK, are not getting as many californee's as AR or OR if you read those state threads. Besides the returning okies, know what OK is like and don't post question/threads prior to moving here.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
I agree. And a great many more who are in between or who are like me and don't really get into all that idiotic "you are a conservative/liberal, and it's all your fault!" crap. Most people just want to make a living.

Very true. So many NDNs returning home. I know the only ones who are staying are the ones who are finishing up their last years before retiring.

I have met a few here who sold their homes from $400K, which is considered quite a nest egg to those of us here.

We, meaning OK, are not getting as many californee's as AR or OR if you read those state threads. Besides the returning okies, know what OK is like and don't post question/threads prior to moving here.
Very true about California. I'd say most of the inbetweens are getting pretty disgusted about now, if my friends are any indication. It never does anyone any good when agendas and labels become more important than ideas.

As for coming to OK, I am a third generation California native. The state is no longer the one I know and I wanted out. A local friend told me about OK and I started research. OK is a lot closer to the California I was born in in the early fifties than you'd expect. But I suspect the old image still plays in peoples minds, and almost everyone I talked to was puzzled about why I'd like to come here. Maybe a clue there.

I do remember my mom telling me about how my grandmother always had food available, and when migrants came by would feed them. She wasn't one of those who dispised the "okies". And this was just over the hill from Hollywood. My family stored and protected the valuables and home of a neighbor during the war who were Japanase American as well and they had a home to return to. She was not one to be swayed by the wind from what she believed.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
At least California has the good sense to legalize medical marijuana. In Oklahoma you risk getting thrown in prison for using marijuana for your medical needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma