U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:11 AM

21,145 posts, read 36,166,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
OKLAHOMA CITY Fleeing the Great Depression and a drought unprecedented in American history, a vast wave of Oklahomans and Texans dubbed "Okies" loaded everything they could onto crowded vehicles during the 1930s and headed west for California. Today, in huge numbers, their grandchildren are moving back.
Golden State losing folks as old Dust Bowl beckons - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/1944947.html - broken link)

Something that may make you folks here crack a smile..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 11:57 AM

31,406 posts, read 16,953,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Golden State losing folks as old Dust Bowl beckons - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/1944947.html - broken link)

We don't need a newspaper article to tell us that. Many okies migrated, but just as many stayed, so the children and grandchildren of the dust bowl migration had relations back in Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc.

Los Angeles had a large Native American population from the relocation days. And a lot of them are moving back "home" (Oklahoma) now that they are retiring and their children and grandchildren are coming back home too.

I have personally met quite a few Native Americans here that used to live on the west coast.

It's nothing new for NDNs. The same thing happens with hispanics. Some move to LA, and some stay in Mexico. They kind of go back and forth.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:33 PM

559 posts, read 1,572,758 times
Quote:

cool article. thanx for sharing.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM

491 posts, read 1,254,183 times
Thanks!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:04 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,570,482 times
Quote:

AZ Bear is a good egg.

Many folks are moving back AZ Bear. Even though it's hotter than h*ll in Oklahoma this time of the year, it's still a good destination.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:26 PM

12,825 posts, read 18,832,775 times
The California steppe was a natural place for people from the southern plains to settle. They came in waves, the one from the 30s was only the latest one. Cattle, oil drilling and cotton came very early, before the crowds. Listen to an old time native Californian and there is a bit of a cowboy twang.

We are now strangers in our own land. The inrush of NEern carpetbaggers, and non assimilated immigrants, coupled with soul crushing statism and extreme liberalism, have made this place hostile. In addition to so called "Okies" even many a person going all the way back to earlier rushes and booms now strongly consider OK, NE NM, TX panhandle, etc. I may become one of them myself.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 PM

31,406 posts, read 16,953,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
We are now strangers in our own land.
Gee, where have I heard that one before. The moccasin is on the other foot.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 PM

21,145 posts, read 36,166,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Gee, where have I heard that one before. The moccasin is on the other foot.
Let what happened to the American Indians serve as a warning for the USA to remain strong.

Besides: there was plenty of Indian on Indian violence prior to 1492---------so it was not just a 'White' thing.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM

14,318 posts, read 16,216,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The California steppe was a natural place for people from the southern plains to settle. They came in waves, the one from the 30s was only the latest one. Cattle, oil drilling and cotton came very early, before the crowds. Listen to an old time native Californian and there is a bit of a cowboy twang.

We are now strangers in our own land. The inrush of NEern carpetbaggers, and non assimilated immigrants, coupled with soul crushing statism and extreme liberalism, have made this place hostile. In addition to so called "Okies" even many a person going all the way back to earlier rushes and booms now strongly consider OK, NE NM, TX panhandle, etc. I may become one of them myself.
Even though I'm a third generation California native, I thought about the "reverse" migration. LOL Its funny that I was thinking of the weather today (hot and humid) as very much what it was in Riverside this time last year. Called back there and its COLD. On the other hand, I messed around with the AC today and glorias cold air is blowing out of it.

I think this area is a target for so many because it is below the major snow belt but still has four seasons. It doesn't get 50 below in the winter and most people from socal are used to heat, so its not so big an adjustment.

Interesting comment about the native california accent... When I was a kid it wasn't unusual, but since have been told that they could tell. I didn't even know there was a california accent until I was out of the state.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 PM

215 posts, read 436,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Even though I'm a third generation California native, I thought about the "reverse" migration. LOL Its funny that I was thinking of the weather today (hot and humid) as very much what it was in Riverside this time last year. Called back there and its COLD. On the other hand, I messed around with the AC today and glorias cold air is blowing out of it.

I think this area is a target for so many because it is below the major snow belt but still has four seasons. It doesn't get 50 below in the winter and most people from socal are used to heat, so its not so big an adjustment.

Interesting comment about the native california accent... When I was a kid it wasn't unusual, but since have been told that they could tell. I didn't even know there was a california accent until I was out of the state.
That's funny nightbird47. I too am a 3rd gen, but I lived in Tulsa for 10 years, and was stationed in Texas many, many moons ago, so they always ask me here, "Where ya from?"

I never new Kah-leee-phoneie-uns had an accent. Is it the "like" and "you know like" every two words????

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK THERE! The humidity was "different" but usually the attic fan worked at night. During the day I took plenty aspirin, put a bandana around my head (wet) and stayed outside from early morning and DID NOT GO INTO THE A/C (had a "can" in the garage!!) and that seemed to keep me workin' in the yard all day. I'll still take the humidity any day to what's happened here: smog, people, no money, crummy roads, etc., etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma