Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:08 AM

22 posts, read 68,373 times

Advertisements

What can anyone tell me about Pawhuska or Osage county. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:17 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,906,746 times
What would you like to know?

Pawhuska is the county seat and the tribal headquarters for the Osage Nation. the eastern half is rolling hills with beautiful views. the western half is more prairie. Woolarock is there, as is the tall grass prairie preserve. All subsurface rights are owned by the Osage. The downtown area of Pawhuska is really nice.......they are starting to get some interesting shops in there. (It seems when a down almost dies that buildings get boarded up, then someone comes along and opens a few "antique" shops with an inventory that looks like it came from garage sales. Then you get a genuine antique or arts and craft store here and there, finally you get some cafes mixed in with the arts and crafts......that is the point Pawhuska is in its rejuvenation. The downtown was pretty well destroyed by Wal-mart, then after all the local ma and pa shops closed, Wal mart moved to a superstore in Bartlesville (about 20 miles away) leaving Pawhuska pretty well broke......but the Osage has a lot of oil money and they are facilitating the renovation and rejuvenation. Frankly, I like that area a lot.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Pawhuska

Thank you for the info. Was also wondering about jobs and cost of living. Would like to buy or rent a house in the country with a small amount of acreage.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM

144 posts, read 482,103 times
Most people work in Bartlesville and commute. It is a very beautiful town. They had a cafe called the Whiz Bang Cafe that had a chef that has studied all over the world. Does anyone know if that place is still open? It was world class food for $6-$10.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:09 PM

I understand the Drummond ranch (The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond), or a part of it, was up for sale last year, so if you have a few million laying around, that could be an option. It's between Pawhuska and Hominy.

Like lasomeday says, most people commute to tulsa or Bartlesville or they offer some sort of supplemental services to the community (clerk at a store, day care, etc). the only other industry around is ranching and oil, and both beef prices and oil prices are down, so I doubt they are hiring a lot............

Old 06-15-2009, 03:49 PM

491 posts, read 1,467,858 times
CAVALCADE! Cavalcade Rodeo

Old 06-15-2009, 04:58 PM

YouTube - Chris Ledoux - Take Me To The Rodeo

Old 02-14-2010, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 18,063 times
Just stumbled onto this place...... Hello all..... HeatherDawn, I believe I know you...or at least I know a HeatherDawn here........... I've lived here in Pawhuska for most of 60 years now, with a few years out for the army, college, and "bumming around the country".....and I've seen alot of changes over the years...and most not for the better, in my opinion... But still, to me Pawhuska is "Home"...and I would not want to live anywhere else.... So, rooster, if you want to try it here...com'on down... We'd be glad to have you.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Default Pawhuska

Thanks Mongojoe, My wife and I will be moving in July. We have started looking for jobs and a place to rent. Any info with either of those would be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 18,063 times
Presently, there are quite a number of houses for rent, or for sale, in all areas of town, and in pretty much all price ranges. You should not have any problem finding a place to live. Really, you could pretty much just take a drive thru areas that appeal to you, and you will see a number of homes for rent or sale... A home with acreage, however, may take a bit of looking for. I'll be honest and tell you that I really don't know much about that. I'm sure there are some out there, but I have just never really paid much attention. I know that several months back there were a few out around Wynona, a very small, but pleasant town of about 450 people, 10 miles south of Pawhuska.... Jobs, on the other hand, are rather scarce right now... Pawhuska's main source of employment, besides the various "government jobs", such as the city, county, state, and with the Osage Indian Agency, had always been oil...and the oil industry here right now is at an all time low. There are jobs here, but a person has to look for them. (Thankfully, I am retired now.)....... However, we are only about 25 miles from Bartlesville, a larger city of about 40 or 50 thousand, and jobs are much easier to find there. A number of people from here commute to Bartlesville to work...and I know several people who commute to Ponca City, 40 miles to the west, or even Tulsa, about 60 miles to the northeast...... I may be biased, but to me Pawhuska a very pleasant community, little crime, friendly people, and with a good school system, which is an important consideration if you have children....... I do wish you and your family the best with it...and Welcome to the Osage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma