Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,989 times

Advertisements

Oklahoma is a transition state; neither Mid-West nor Southern. You can't find good grits, or red eye gravy. Folks here like brown food; meat and potatoes. I was at a restaurant once that served field greens in their salad, and was told by the waitress that locals picked out the "purple stuff" from their salad. Most places shred up some iceberg lettuce and call it good.

You can't buy real beer or wine at the supermarket or Wal-Mart. You can buy 3.2 beer. You can buy wine and other booze at liquor stores. They only sell imported beer, and can sell nothing without alcohol in it, which means you can't buy ice there. The beer can not be refrigerated. Prohibition wasn't repealed until 1959 in Oklahoma. One last word about alcohol: you can now buy liquor by the drink in Durant. So now you can have a little glass of chianti with your fava beans in a restaurant.

Good Mexican food is obtainable in Durant. Weather is generally good, with some exciting changes; one day it may be sunny and 70 degrees, and an hour later, black out and raining with 40 MPH winds. Then an hour later, sunny and beautiful. I love it.

Normally very green, with lots of trees, and extensive rolling plains. Land in bulk can be had from $1500 per acre for 60-100 acres to as much as $5,000 per acre for smaller plots, such as four or five. Location is important too, when considering price. $100,000 three bedroom, 1.5 bath homes are not rare, but nicer, 20 year or newer homes may run to $110,000. Of course, you can buy 2500 square foot homes for upwards of $250,000.

This is a beautiful part of the U.S. with much to offer. However, be aware that some of the folks who live here have had family here for six generations. Locals know you are not "from around here" instantly. I used to wonder how they knew that without me opening my mouth. Easy ... they didn't know me, or my daddy, or my daddy's daddy. Some people who settled here twenty years ago are still introduced as "This here's (insert name). He's not from here." It can be off-putting to find out that after many years, you are considered an outsider, and will likely remain an outsider. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the residents are all straw-chewing bubbas or rednecks. There are a whole lot of generous, friendly, helpful, wonderful people here. Just don't expect open-armed instant acceptance.

There, you have it all. Move here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 03:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I thought OK was technically the south with MO being the frist state in the mid west. Guess I have my geography mixed up or it has changed since I was in school.

Nita
It's probably the only state that people have a hard time classifying in a certain geographical or cultural area because it's almost in the geographic center of the US. The SE part of the state is more like the south, while Tulsa is generally more like the midwest, and the southwestern part of the state is more like the southwest. It's really a mixture of cultures. I found this snipppet off wikipedia fairly telling:

"The Congressional Quarterly and Census report places Oklahoma in the Southern United States. However, since Oklahoma is near the geographic center of the U.S., the regional influences add to Oklahoma's unique character."

Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,723 times
Wink Happy living in Tishomingo (Pronounced Tish-o-ming-o)

This post is probably way past your decision making deadline but well in line with the slower pace that we're famous for in the south. I've lived in or nearby Tishomingo for the better part of 40 years. However, there are places such as Dallas, TX and California, I have lived in briefly that allow for perspective on the matter. Personally, I choose living in the Tishomingo area hands-down over all of them.

It is one of the most beautiful areas in Oklahoma; most of the year. Our short winter can be a bit dreary. If you like your weather warm, we have more than our fair share. One of the previous post mentioned tornandos which is a valid concern. However, it not a huge worry in Tishomingo. This town was once an indian village (I've been told) in which the landscape is basically lower than the surrounding counties which is the reason the Chickasaw's chose the spot. What it means is that the most severe weather and storms pass right by us. I've watched this pattern over and over again for years. On rare occasions we'll get high winds and on very very rare occasions we've had straight-line winds. Thunderstorms here are quite a show. If you are easliy frightened by storms, I suggest you stay inside. If you do decide to stay inside just make sure you take a peek toward the west just before sundown and you might be rewarded with some of the most beautiful and colorful sunsets you could ever imagine. The starry skys in a cloudless night are simply breathtaking. You cannot see stars this bright in a city.

It's ideal for raising kids especially if they have an affinity for the outdoors. You can find fishing very easliy since we are fortunate enough to have a wildlife refuge bordering the edge of town. I like to take my kids to the lake to swim which is about a twenty minute drive to Lake Texoma. Murray State College (our local junior college) has lighted outdoor basketball and tennis courts. My own kids go to high school here and as schools go it has worked out very well for them. They feel happy and safe going to school here.

As for shopping, the closest mall is at least a twenty minute drive. Dining out can be tricky but if you ask around you will find the best places to eat. Locally, we have a great little place on the edge of town that serves catfish and is only open on Friday and Saturday nights. It stays packed so get there early. Or if you prefer good ribs, you can take short trip toward Blue River. It's about a five mile trip to Blue River Ribs. Other than that, Tishomingo has some fast-food places (choose wisely) or plan to take a twenty to thirty minute drive out for the night. Same goes for movie theaters, we have none here. It's a trade-off but if you think about it, how long does it take you to get where you're going in a large city? I've found that time spent in the car is the same but the drive is much more relaxing when it's less crowded.

Well, if it's too late to help Tia, I hope this will help someone else. Just remember, if you come to Oklahoma we will look you in the eye and speak to you. Oklahoma is home to some of the nicest people in the country. Ya'll come see us now!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:10 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
That town sounds beautiful. You are a very good and descriptive writer. I hope to visit Tishomingo someday.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 AM

Tishomingo is a really neat place. It has a small University there, and it is the historical home of the Chickasaw Nation (headquarters is now in Ada). I love that part of Oklahoma.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:03 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
The beautiful Blue River is nearby. It is very scenic to look at since it is a clear river. It is stocked with trout at least for the winter.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The beautiful Blue River is nearby. It is very scenic to look at since it is a clear river. It is stocked with trout at least for the winter.
Blue River is wonderful. Fantastic trout fishing. Lots of low water bridges in the area and those in and of themselves are neat.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:37 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
So now I have to look on the map. Blue River sounds pretty too.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplant View Post
Oklahoma is a transition state; neither Mid-West nor Southern. You can't find good grits, or red eye gravy. Folks here like brown food; meat and potatoes. I was at a restaurant once that served field greens in their salad, and was told by the waitress that locals picked out the "purple stuff" from their salad. Most places shred up some iceberg lettuce and call it good.

You can't buy real beer or wine at the supermarket or Wal-Mart. You can buy 3.2 beer. You can buy wine and other booze at liquor stores. They only sell imported beer, and can sell nothing without alcohol in it, which means you can't buy ice there. The beer can not be refrigerated. Prohibition wasn't repealed until 1959 in Oklahoma. One last word about alcohol: you can now buy liquor by the drink in Durant. So now you can have a little glass of chianti with your fava beans in a restaurant.
Is liquor by the drink legal in Durant on Sundays? I know in Stillwater it's not because Payne County is dry on Sundays. If you order a drink on a Sunday in a Stillwater restaurant, you'll get embarrassed when the waiter tells you that's not available on Sundays. It's enough to make one feel like an ignorant alcoholic. It's past time for Payne County to hold another election to make alcohol legal on Sundays.

Having 3.2 beer is a ridiculously unneeded holdover from Prohibition days. I guess it remains in place because the liquor store interests don't want to have to compete with other type stores to sell strong beer. Even some states that some may regard as more with it than Oklahoma, such as Colorado and Minnesota, have to have 3.2 beer.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 14,035 times
Lake Hugo and the Hugo damn is also fairly close by for good fishing. You may want to look at some of the surrounding towns before you settle in one area. Schools will be a lot different in the south too. What grades your kids are in will be the difference as to what schools you may want to consider. Sports are big down here and football games are very social events in the south. Friday Night Lights.
The crime is still around but not as bad as in the larger cities.
Your kids will find whole new ways to entertain themselves and may not like at first the part of not always having something to do.
The hills everyone is talking about are the foothills of the Ozarks. Lovely drives most times of the year.
You will also not be to far from the Broken Bow area for fishing and camping.

Quote:
Durant
is pronounced DEW RANT just so you can start on your southern accent. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma