U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 AM

13,495 posts, read 33,298,333 times

Advertisements

Wyllow, surely you can find some people around you who care and want to improve things. You are a teacher so you're in the perfect position to turn things around.

Could you take your students out for a couple hours for a "trash collecting" day? You could pick a different section of town every week. You could also take them on a trip to the Humane Society and to the Pet Rescues in your city and teach them compassion for animals. You could encourage them to volunteer their time to help them. Who knows? Maybe a homeless animal or two would be adopted in the process?

You could put a "change jar" on your desk after your trip to the shelters. I'll bet the children would be happy to share their piggy banks with the animals they saw.

I do believe you about the stats you found from 2006. But look at the current stats and you'll see that OK made a tremendous improvement with animal abuse/neglect. It's still not good enough, but it's improving and that's what counts. (Jammie still hanging her head in shame at how her own state turned out on that map)

Take them for a tour of a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc.

I really don't believe that things are as bad there as you say. But if you are truly unhappy~do something to change things in your little corner of the world. It's contagious and you never know how far-reaching something like that becomes. And I do understand your connection to Christianity and road rage. True Christians don't turn into demons once they get behind the wheel. But we didn't see any of that and I don't know how we missed it all. We were vacationing and tourists are actually much more observant then people who actually live in an area.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:31 PM

4,798 posts, read 4,669,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllow61 View Post
<snip>
For Jammie---I got the law enforcement stats I quoted in my original post from the FBI crime stats per state....Okla, according to them, is number 1 for animal cruelty cases, though that was in 06 I believe...
Since you know the source you were citing, then post the link to it.
If you found it online in 2006, it will still be available. You should have no problems in backing up your words.

I emphasized "your words" in the previous sentence, since I strongly believe that it is your words and not information that comes from a reliable source.

So far, you seem to have chosen to ignore my request for proof of your stats, how convenient eh?
Once again, from your comments in your first post, I am asking you to prove it:

Worst drivers.
Trashiest state.
Unfriendliest people.
In the top 10 for child molestation.
Number 1 for animal cruelty.

... prove it !!

eta
Synopsis .. reps given since I also thought they were great posts.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:08 PM

31,730 posts, read 17,149,705 times
I don't have a problem with anyone hating on Oklahoma, or any other state. Or any laws in any of the state's for that matter.

However, I think everyone realizes there are far too many good people across this state, who are being maligned because one person (the OP) experiences a few idiots.

Anyone who has experienced the hallowed halls of academia, knows all too well the emphasis on the more you learn on any given subject, the more you realize just how much you don't know.

And I think that applies to learning about the people of Oklahoma for the OP. So many quiet people living in small towns who are the salt of the earth from every race, religion and creed have made it their home and have left great legacies to us.

In regards to countless Native Americans (and other races) whom I have personally met, and I have great respect for, the OP has absolutely no knowledge of how they live, what they believe in, nor how they conduct their lives, and it is becoming quite obvious the OP has no desire to acknowledge their respect for self, others, and Mother Earth. Instead the OP has cocooned him/herself in a web of negativity.

Take care, Wyllow, may you find the peace you seek and a career in a place which allows you to foster a happier existence.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:05 PM

12,844 posts, read 12,341,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllow61 View Post
What I find interesting in reading everyone's replies to my post is you all turn around and question my attitude, where I'm from, etc....but do not look at my criticisms themselves. What does being christian have to do with tailgating at 80mph on the freeway? It's called being nice...being courteous to others...simple christian stuff like that does NOT exist here, yet religious lipservice is everywhere here. Religion is a major hypocrisy here in practice--people do not live what they preach. Many of your answers themselves are evidence of the attitude of people here....
Well, thank goodness, and count your blessings that you arrived in Oklahoma no sooner than you did. You see, until a few years ago outsiders when visiting Oklahoma would be utterly bewildered upon hearing some of the controversial issues that were being discussed in the news. It was because those issues had already been settled in their states up to decades ago!

But currently with many of those controversial issues settled, such as tattooing being legal now, I find that as a native Oklahoman that I can't bash Oklahoma like I used to.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:12 PM

2,713 posts, read 6,253,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, thank goodness, and count your blessings that you arrived in Oklahoma no sooner than you did. You see, until a few years ago outsiders when visiting Oklahoma would be utterly bewildered upon hearing some of the controversial issues that were being discussed in the news. It was because those issues had already been settled in their states up to decades ago!

But currently with many of those controversial issues settled, such as tattooing being legal now, I find that as a native Oklahoman that I can't bash Oklahoma like I used to.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:13 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,101,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

But currently with many of those controversial issues settled, such as tattooing being legal now,
Quote:
I find that as a native Oklahoman that I can't bash Oklahoma like I used to.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 8,636 times
Wyllow61
Your post listed many complaints in general about Oklahoma and Oklahoma people. To attempt to be fair many of your statements could be made about every state.
Be strong and do something about!
1. “Finish a drink and set it on the ground, and walk away“.] For every person who left a cup. Watch and count the number of people who put their cup in the proper place or took it with them. To be fair keep a written tally for least 30 days.
2. Garbage from their car missing the dumpster.
A} Set an example pick the bag up yourself. The next time you see your neighbor say something like “Hey I know you were in a hurry the other day and didn’t see the bag fall on the ground but I picked it up,”
B} Or Take down their license plate number, car model, color, date, time and report them in writing to the management.
C} Or report the dumpster to local Oklahoma Health Department If, the dumpster lid is open or will not close report it to the Oklahoma Health Department. [there are laws about lids being open in every state] Ask about the steps they take and time period. Report it as many times as you find it open.. No one not even you will throw bags.
D} Count the number of people you see who put their trash in the proper place or missed the dumpster. Keep a written tally for least 30 days. If, you count all bags on the ground without seeing it happen be fair and count all bags in the dumpster.
E} None of the above. Move to a better neighborhood.
3. 80 miles an hour and tailgating
A} For this to happen you are admitting to speeding at 80 but not willing to go faster. Pull over and drive safely so your students have a teacher ever day. This remark to peers, your students or parents would show some people you are reckless, not rational or responsible enough be a teacher.
B} You could if you have a cell phone call 911 and report the person for reckless driving. They will do something about reckless driving.
4. Class room clean before you began
A} It depends on the age of the students or when you began. Morning, No, the janitor needs to be reported for not doing his or her job. Afternoon, Yes young children should be told. in a loving friendly manner. It will help with their training. College age students with Financial Aid paid with Oklahoma tax payers money no.
5. Christian Place
A} Understanding when in Rome do as the Romans:
B} In the some southern states if you want a plumber , cleaners, apartment, or car and ask a friends advice. The replay will be they are good Christian people. They are not talking about religion. It is a very unique way of saying they are good, honest, and respectable people. Fees will be fair and they can be trusted to do the best for you.
B} Bible Belt State: Not everyone there goes to church.
7. I am new here, I looking for pictures. I was hoping they had a picture of Castle and the old windmill. Or the downtown Allen or the Allen Cemetery. After looking at all 197 posts. The people are are nice, giving, and very talented people. Some of these people are the same ones who replayed to your post.
8. Source
I too have lived up and down the west cost, PA, traveled the east cost for a year, lived in East Texas and owned a home and two business. We drove to Huston, Austin or Tennessee on week-ends and camped out. I spent summers in Oklahoma as a child. The last time I was in Oklahoma was 2006. We drove from California. We stayed in nice motels for two months and drove all over the state of Oklahoma. I was never in Germany or DC. My only experience is my cousin who is a Master Sergeant took his wife, and children to Germany. They stayed on the base for three years while he was out and about serving our county. I sent him love packages. My other cousin a Colonel had the day off when the Pentagon was attacked. He didn’t make Colonel until last year. I am not a rich person. I worked hard all my life.
9. It is odd how people who have two eyes see the same thing and view it in so many different ways. I don't see what you see in Oklahoma or the people the way you do.

Last edited by JumpingBird19; 07-02-2009 at 09:16 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 09:27 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,021,499 times
I think it all depends on how people are taught. We were told not to throw trash on the ground or out car windows. When at a fast food place all trash goes in the trash container. When we traveled, trash was put in conatiners at rest stops. As a Girl Scout we were told to leave a place cleaner than we found it. That is what I taught my kids too. Litterbug was a term they called everyone who throw trash where it didn't belong. I still pick up trash that blows in my yard and I sweep up glass from the street. I don't want to be the one who gets a flat tire from a broken beer bottle!

Old 07-03-2009, 05:16 AM

31,730 posts, read 17,149,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
I think it all depends on how people are taught. We were told not to throw trash on the ground or out car windows. When at a fast food place all trash goes in the trash container. When we traveled, trash was put in conatiners at rest stops. As a Girl Scout we were told to leave a place cleaner than we found it. That is what I taught my kids too. Litterbug was a term they called everyone who throw trash where it didn't belong. I still pick up trash that blows in my yard and I sweep up glass from the street. I don't want to be the one who gets a flat tire from a broken beer bottle!
Good post, okgf. I hate litter bugs. Especially cigarette smokers who toss butts. It is unfathomable how anyone can just toss McD bags out the window on a beautiful pristine country road, but it happens!

Still, I don't fault the entire state or rail against those who don't do it.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 AM

11,879 posts, read 32,797,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingBird19 View Post
Wyllow61
Your post listed many complaints in general about Oklahoma and Oklahoma people. To attempt to be fair many of your statements could be made about every state.
Be strong and do something about!
1. “Finish a drink and set it on the ground, and walk away“.] For every person who left a cup. Watch and count the number of people who put their cup in the proper place or took it with them. To be fair keep a written tally for least 30 days.
2. Garbage from their car missing the dumpster.
A} Set an example pick the bag up yourself. The next time you see your neighbor say something like “Hey I know you were in a hurry the other day and didn’t see the bag fall on the ground but I picked it up,”
B} Or Take down their license plate number, car model, color, date, time and report them in writing to the management.
C} Or report the dumpster to local Oklahoma Health Department If, the dumpster lid is open or will not close report it to the Oklahoma Health Department. [there are laws about lids being open in every state] Ask about the steps they take and time period. Report it as many times as you find it open.. No one not even you will throw bags.
D} Count the number of people you see who put their trash in the proper place or missed the dumpster. Keep a written tally for least 30 days. If, you count all bags on the ground without seeing it happen be fair and count all bags in the dumpster.
E} None of the above. Move to a better neighborhood.
3. 80 miles an hour and tailgating
A} For this to happen you are admitting to speeding at 80 but not willing to go faster. Pull over and drive safely so your students have a teacher ever day. This remark to peers, your students or parents would show some people you are reckless, not rational or responsible enough be a teacher.
B} You could if you have a cell phone call 911 and report the person for reckless driving. They will do something about reckless driving.
4. Class room clean before you began
A} It depends on the age of the students or when you began. Morning, No, the janitor needs to be reported for not doing his or her job. Afternoon, Yes young children should be told. in a loving friendly manner. It will help with their training. College age students with Financial Aid paid with Oklahoma tax payers money no.
5. Christian Place
A} Understanding when in Rome do as the Romans:
B} In the some southern states if you want a plumber , cleaners, apartment, or car and ask a friends advice. The replay will be they are good Christian people. They are not talking about religion. It is a very unique way of saying they are good, honest, and respectable people. Fees will be fair and they can be trusted to do the best for you.
B} Bible Belt State: Not everyone there goes to church.
7. I am new here, I looking for pictures. I was hoping they had a picture of Castle and the old windmill. Or the downtown Allen or the Allen Cemetery. After looking at all 197 posts. The people are are nice, giving, and very talented people. Some of these people are the same ones who replayed to your post.
8. Source
I too have lived up and down the west cost, PA, traveled the east cost for a year, lived in East Texas and owned a home and two business. We drove to Huston, Austin or Tennessee on week-ends and camped out. I spent summers in Oklahoma as a child. The last time I was in Oklahoma was 2006. We drove from California. We stayed in nice motels for two months and drove all over the state of Oklahoma. I was never in Germany or DC. My only experience is my cousin who is a Master Sergeant took his wife, and children to Germany. They stayed on the base for three years while he was out and about serving our county. I sent him love packages. My other cousin a Colonel had the day off when the Pentagon was attacked. He didn’t make Colonel until last year. I am not a rich person. I worked hard all my life.
9. It is odd how people who have two eyes see the same thing and view it in so many different ways. I don't see what you see in Oklahoma or the people the way you do.
Reps to you and a big thumbs up for this wonderful post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma