Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 PM

11 posts, read 53,790 times

Advertisements

good to hear so many nice things about the duncan area, i currently reside in comache however i was born and raised in Dunan. i have a burning question-why are so many cali residents relocating to Oklahoma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 05:23 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4mad View Post
good to hear so many nice things about the duncan area, i currently reside in comache however i was born and raised in Dunan. i have a burning question-why are so many cali residents relocating to Oklahoma?
I don't live in the Duncan area, but I have two neighbors who have moved next to us in the past two years and they are both from California. My best guess is that they were looking for cheaper land and country life, but I don't know because they are very shy!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Just like Peggy said~a MUCH lower cost of living then in Cali. Also, there's a lot of info out there that indicates that Cali has been invaded from the south and the standard of living has plummeted. It sounds congested, full of crime, expensive, etc. Many people from Cali have also been moving to Idaho and some to Montana, too.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:34 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilysan View Post
i am totally looking forward to come to this town...... I was hoping i could live somewhere,where it is like on old tv-shows,most people know each other,everybody says ''HI'' to each other,people actually care about ,who lives next door....stuff like that.....is duncan the right place to look for things like that?
oh another question,ho does it look on racism in Duncan? we are totally mixed,hispanic,african american,german....all together.....could that be a problem ????
thanks for your honest answer
lilysan
I don't think you have to worry much about racism. Halliburton is an international company, their work force is very diversified and the people in Duncan are used to seeing all colors and kinds

Old 09-03-2007, 11:30 AM

70 posts, read 284,283 times
Quote:
One reason why Oklahoma could be attracting so many Californians is surplus electrical power and relatively low utilities costs. Remember all those "rolling blackouts" in California just before the Enron bust?

Old 09-10-2007, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,217 times
Default Too small

Duncan is soo ssmall that there are not any good restaurants in town. There are a few family restaurants but not as good as chain restaurants. If you have a chance do not move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebound View Post
What kind of small town is Duncan? A place one could retire from? How's the housing situation? Any good steak houses?

Thx

Okiebound (Maybe)

Old 09-10-2007, 04:15 PM

70 posts, read 284,283 times
A town the size of Duncan is a bit too small to attract chain restaurants like The Olive Garden or Chilis. The only exception is when the town is a suburb of a much larger city. Generally, the marketing rule for most higher quality chain restaurants is they only locate in markets with metro populations of 100,000 residents or more.

Lawton is gaining more of those types of chain restaurants and is just a half hour's drive west from Duncan on OK-7.

Duncan does have some things that are pretty impressive for a small town. The Carmike 6 there has all 6 screens equipped with state of the art digital projection systems (each costing well over $100,000). Other Carmike locations in Lawton, Stillwater, Shawnee and Muskogee also have these new "d-cinema" systems. Meanwhile Oklahoma City and Tulsa have hardly anything to speak of at all in terms of digital projection. Just something to throw out to show OKC and Tulsa aren't always on the cutting edge of things happening in this state.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:11 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4mad View Post
I can't speak for everyone, as I no longer consider myself a "Californian" (I don't think I ever really was.) We left for alot of reasons... The air quality where we lived was dreadful (central cal.) I got tired of never seeing blue skies and fluffy white clouds.

Cost of living was a joke... the rental we lived in for 10 years was worth about $85,000 when we left 4 years ago, saw it listed recently for $250,000 (yes 1/4 Mil) Same house here in a similar neighborhood *might* go for $70,000. Utilities were through the roof. $300-400 for gas and electric were normal in the summertime.

For us it had become too busy, too dirty and too rude.

Oklahoma is where both of our families came from, we wanted to go back to our roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby H View Post
A town the size of Duncan is a bit too small to attract chain restaurants like The Olive Garden or Chilis.
Good thing, neither are that impressive IMO. If I want "Big Town" restaurant food, its a short drive to find it, but we are quite satisfied with the local fare.

El Campesino has authentic, wonderful Mexican food, and the service is always fast and friendly.

For a Burger to die for try Cedar Street Grill, home cooked and FULL of flavor NOT fillers! Try the double bacon/double cheese with a side of onion rings, and bring a friend...

Just tried the newly opened Buffet King Chinese place and we were pleasantly surprised, TONS of choices, the food was fresh and well prepared, LOTS of seafood (which I looove) and fresh vegetables.

Big G's is always good for a steak.

Quizno's has great sandwiches.

Golden Corral is always good if you can't decide which kind of fare you are looking for.

For Italian we enjoy Giovanni's on 81 just south of Plato.

I guess it all comes down to what you are looking for, we wanted a smaller town, cleaner air, friendlier people, and a cost of living we could be comfortable with.

Duncan gave us ALL those things and more.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:33 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, as I no longer consider myself a "Californian" (I don't think I ever really was.) We left for alot of reasons... The air quality where we lived was dreadful (central cal.) I got tired of never seeing blue skies and fluffy white clouds
I no longer consider myself a Californian either. Ditto on the air quality and the lack fo blue skies. When we began traveling out of CA towards Oklahoma it was the first thing I noticed--blue skies and clouds. And they called it sunny California. What a joke! But the first thing I really noticed after we crossed over the border from California was the lack of traffic.

My family was from Oklahoma too, but while they are gone, it does feel like I am back to my roots, being that I am part Cherokee.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey921 View Post
Duncan is soo ssmall that there are not any good restaurants in town. There are a few family restaurants but not as good as chain restaurants. If you have a chance do not move here.
So you would recommend that people NOT move to Duncan because there are no chain restaurants? Get real. Chains do not necessarily equal good food; most of them are actually mediocre at best, with frozen entrees that they microwave and put on your plate (i.e., no *chef* works there). There are so many more important things other than chain restaurants to consider when looking for a city to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma