U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 AM

9,482 posts, read 6,491,914 times
Default Ugh, more rain predicted

Really, its not that I moved from California a year ago today. Rain would have been welcomed more often there. But Cushing had 4 and a half inches of rain in four days, there are enormous mushrooms in my yard and I wear boots in the grass or get bit by too many things. When we moved here the grass was kind of brownish and mostly done for the year. This year the lawn mowers are still very busy. And it is predicted that we'll have more rain Thursday, Friday and Saturday. My neighbors who have been here for many years said this is not your usual August.

Anyone else tired of rain? Looking forward for the cold to kill off the skeeters? Feel like you need to make a mosquite net burka to wear in the afternoon and early evening?

That said, I'd still rather be here than in socal. If only we could ship some of the extra wet stuff to where they want it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 AM

7,125 posts, read 9,243,022 times
Don't you just miss the usual 105 degree summer days?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 AM

3,701 posts, read 5,694,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Don't you just miss the usual 105 degree summer days?
Not me. Last summer we had weeks of 100+, right up to 111 one day. This summer I've only had the A/C on for a week, if that. But I've heard from friends all over that this summer has been off everywhere. One hundred degrees in Seattle a few weeks ago, low 50s in Blaine, 38 right now in Kodiak, ten degrees lower now in St Louis than here - and it's only 81 here. The weather isn't acting normal anywhere, it seems. Dutch Harbor is warmer than Kodiak right now, and that's just plain weird - it's usually the other way around.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:58 PM

8,451 posts, read 6,060,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Really, its not that I moved from California a year ago today. Rain would have been welcomed more often there. But Cushing had 4 and a half inches of rain in four days, there are enormous mushrooms in my yard and I wear boots in the grass or get bit by too many things. When we moved here the grass was kind of brownish and mostly done for the year. This year the lawn mowers are still very busy. And it is predicted that we'll have more rain Thursday, Friday and Saturday. My neighbors who have been here for many years said this is not your usual August.

Anyone else tired of rain? Looking forward for the cold to kill off the skeeters? Feel like you need to make a mosquite net burka to wear in the afternoon and early evening?

That said, I'd still rather be here than in socal. If only we could ship some of the extra wet stuff to where they want it...
Oh, well, it's still not as rainy as it was in 2007. Then you'd couldn't mow without leaving ruts in the yard. There had never been such a rainy year like it before in central Oklahoma with over 60" of rain for that year's total. And no I don't look forward to things getting cold again. If mosquitoes get too bad, I'll just spray on some Off. I don't spend much time outdoors, anyway.

Don't mind any more rain, but rather not it get too stormy again since one of the last storms knocked power off here for over an hour and we've had more than enough big hail here this year.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:38 AM

2,482 posts, read 3,862,695 times
I welcome the rain. It allows for yet another cutting of hay which is great because 1) it will keep the prices in control here and 2) it will allow the hay farmers to ship some to places where they have had a drought.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM

9,482 posts, read 6,491,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Oh, well, it's still not as rainy as it was in 2007. Then you'd couldn't mow without leaving ruts in the yard. There had never been such a rainy year like it before in central Oklahoma with over 60" of rain for that year's total. And no I don't look forward to things getting cold again. If mosquitoes get too bad, I'll just spray on some Off. I don't spend much time outdoors, anyway.

Don't mind any more rain, but rather not it get too stormy again since one of the last storms knocked power off here for over an hour and we've had more than enough big hail here this year.
I remember 2004 in socal. There was OVER twice the normal rainfall that winter. I had the misfortune of renting a room in a place where my access was from outside. Unfortunately, the pathway in was above the door. The room flooded three times. I don't think the flooring ever really got dry. Most of the water just ran off down to the ocean since the ground was soaked and turned into mudslides.

I think it was an El Nino year. What do you blame for the wet ones here?

Off makes me itch. I am thinking of trying the stuff you wear. I don't mind the mid 80's at all actually. Last summer I was in socal and it was 100 plus with the arizona monsoon sitting on top of us. ugh. Humidity was as bad as it gets here most of the summer. I do appreciate all the nice green now too. Still is strange planning things around weather.

Any non pesticide skeeter solutions? I have an old dog with sensitivity to the stuff and won't use it around her.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:04 PM

3,701 posts, read 5,694,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I remember 2004 in socal. There was OVER twice the normal rainfall that winter. I had the misfortune of renting a room in a place where my access was from outside. Unfortunately, the pathway in was above the door. The room flooded three times. I don't think the flooring ever really got dry. Most of the water just ran off down to the ocean since the ground was soaked and turned into mudslides.

I think it was an El Nino year. What do you blame for the wet ones here?

Off makes me itch. I am thinking of trying the stuff you wear. I don't mind the mid 80's at all actually. Last summer I was in socal and it was 100 plus with the arizona monsoon sitting on top of us. ugh. Humidity was as bad as it gets here most of the summer. I do appreciate all the nice green now too. Still is strange planning things around weather.

Any non pesticide skeeter solutions? I have an old dog with sensitivity to the stuff and won't use it around her.
Have you tried citronella? My dogs are treated with Advantix, which repels/kills ticks, fleas, and mosquitos, and I have a citronella based anti-fly spray for the horse. I have to admit, though, that the fly spray isn't the best. I rub it on myself as well, and they still zoom around me. It works pretty well on the dogs, as long as I spray a cloth and wipe them down, but it's too strong for their noses to just spray them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma