U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:25 PM

25,286 posts, read 11,419,174 times

Advertisements

Redshadowz, you are funny. LOL! The ultimate negative dude!

Please share some more of your gloomy outlook on life. Makes me glad my life isn't as downtrodden as yours is here in Oklahoma.

I can't imagine being driven to unhappiness because of the weather, too much, too little, and the terrain, too flat, too uninspiring, or the cost of living. You, sir, are a riot!

I had a friend in college just like you. We called him "Dark Cloud". He was down on everything. It must get tiresome though. You have too much negative energy. I think in the end, we all cause our own happiness in life. And anger can be a very healthy emotion if you use it to make your life better. Or it can be a drain on you emotionally.

So, you never have answered the question of why don't you leave if you are so down on Oklahoma? Can't? Let me guess. You are too broke. I can relate. Still in school? Finish up your schooling and do what most of us did. GTF out of dodge, and find out what life is really about. Come back when you are 50 and let us know how it all turned out.

You will find you have to accept life on life's terms. It is not OKLAHOMA that makes you happy or unhappy. It is not the wind, the economy, the taxes, the price of gas, or whether or not there are pretty flowers on the mountainside.

Glad you got it off your chest. Keep posting!! We need the rain!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:02 PM

702 posts, read 1,616,934 times
Oh, and another thing, since you don't like facts or my opinion, how about several publications that have named Oklahoma one of the top places to relocate to!
#1 - Tulsa
#10 - Oklahoma City
Relocate-America's 2009 Top 100 Places to Live (http://top100.relocate-america.com/ - broken link)

Real Estate Blog - Oklahoma City Number 2 Best Place to Live!

Edmond ranks among best places to live | Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) | Find Articles at BNET

Tulsa, Oklahoma: Best Places - Jobs and Careers - U.S. News: Money

The most affordable places to live in Oklahoma - by Mechelle McCarrell ICS.LPN - Helium

Old 09-13-2009, 12:10 AM

8,739 posts, read 6,656,024 times
And of all places Idabel was named as an example of one the most affordable places to live in Oklahoma. Good lord! Once again, I declare that town is quite a dump. I know full well because I've driven in that town before and couldn't get over how poor and runned down most everything looked. Through being exposed to this, I felt my innocence over what poverty looked like to be totally shattered. Please, people can name many more better as well as affordable towns to live in Oklahoma than Idabel. You couldn't pay me to live in that awful looking place!

Old 09-13-2009, 04:55 AM

10,015 posts, read 7,494,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I guess you've never been to Riverside? Comparable to Tulsa as far as humidity goes, except Tulsa gets rain.

The only place in CA with nice weather is SOCAL near the beach.

Bako and anything inland is a freakin hellhole.

North/Central Coast is always foggy and cold.

Your posts are full of misinformation.
You said it before I did. I lived in Riverside for over 20 years. It has gotten more and more humid. I didn't think it was all that humid when I moved here. We're hitting fall temps and socal has a couple months of summer highs to go. And if you don't like wind don't live where the Santa ana blow.

I remember the thread that this came from. I think I mentioned to him/her that the green and the trees and the open spaces are really amazing things. In the state threads you see these posts about I want a place that has etc and sure hope they have set priorities because that place doesn't exist.

I would have never thought about Oklahoma but a friend who lives here kept telling me I'd like it. And I visited and researched and now a year after moving I'm still very happy with my decision.

And the tornados... I find the same attitude here that Californian's have about earthquakes. I'll bet any place you go has that same attitude about the more likely natural disastors. Get up and go about the day and if it happens be as ready as you can.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:20 AM

3,834 posts, read 1,901,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
WOW! You need some serious educating! Where do I begin, again! Yes, Oklahoma has more miles of shoreline, including the states on each coast including California. And who cares if the lakes are man made, does that make them less enjoyable??
The miles of shoreline reference is about all the reservoirs and lakes, but not all reservoirs allow people to swim/boat in them. Do you really think the people from the coasts would be impressed by our 11,611 miles of fresh water lakes/reservoirs? I seriously doubt it.

Quote:
Lowest cost of living, who cares if housing costs are one of the reasons! I'll also state we have the lowest cost of living because of some of the lowest property taxes in the country, lowest gas prices in the country, lowest food prices in the country, lowest utility rates in the country! Want me to continue??
Where do you think housing costs are so lowest? Places no one wants to live. Property taxes are below average, but not the lowest in the country. They just seem extremely low since the houses themselves are so cheap. We also have a state income tax, unlike Texas.

This is a cost of living chart. From what it says, the Oklahoma cost of living index per item(where 100 is the national average) is.. Groceries 86.3, Housing 78.7, Utilities 83.7, Transportation 100.3, Health care 103.9, and Misc goods 97.7. Total cost of living index 90.0
[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
http://www.gastongazette.com/attachments/1203624730-costofliving.pdf (broken link)

Also, the median household income in Oklahoma is around $42k a year, the median national household income is over $50k a year. The median household income in Maryland is $68k. Imagine how much better retirement would be in Oklahoma after working in Maryland or New york.

Quote:
And yes we have oil and gas as one of our primary industries, and that is one of the main reasons our economy is so strong, what's your point? What does it matter what industry you are strong at, all that matters is if that industry is sustainable. I have a feeling the oil/gas industry is about as stable an industry you would possibly want!
Stable? I have many friends who had a job until oil prices dropped to nothing. Do you think its wise for an entire economy to be based off oil? How unsustainable is that?

Quote:
We have spots of terrible congestion? Are you serious? Go live in Dallas or Houston for 5 years and get back with me on that statement!
Do you know why Los angeles has such horrible congestion? Instead of investing in mass transit, they invested in expanding their highway system which caused huge urban sprawl, requiring more and more people to drive cars. As the population of Oklahoma city grows its very poor planning will catch up with it.

Quote:
I never said our universities were world class, nor can we compete with MIT, but they also do not charge $4000 per credit hour either! Our higher education is amongst the best value for higher education you will find in the country!
You said you would put an OSU engineering degree against any other schools degree? So now you are saying, you would put it up against any schools degree that doesn't cost more than going to OSU? Makes sense

Quote:
College athletics - apparently you don't like my facts??? Heisman winner, Naismith winner, consistently ranked in top 10 of all sports. U don't like facts I guess cause those you cannot dispute.
I am a big fan of Oklahoma sports. Last year was surprising, but, I have a feeling this is going to be an off year. I'll be a little surprised if any Oklahoma team finishes in the top 10 of any sport this year.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Where do you think housing costs are so lowest? Places no one wants to live.
Saying NO ONE wants to live there, yet people DO live here. You are not communicating effectively. Please learn to communicate your opinions clearly, it will prevent a lot of misunderstanding.

OK really isn't as bad as you make out. You really should change the intent of this discussion to something more realistic like:

I am very unhappy with Oklahoma and no one is going to change my mind. My mind is made up and that is final!

If someone says, the economy is good, you say OF COURSE! NO ONE WANTS TO LIVE HERE! You see? There is no point in discussing it. So, tell us, what type of work do you do for a living that prevents you from leaving?

Personally, I don't care what the median household income is in Conn. or any other state because I have no interest in living there, and their income has no bearing on my happiness.

You on the other hand are trying to make a case that other state's with higher median household incomes PROVES Oklahoma has nothing to offer.

You even try and use arguments that people on the coasts would not be impressed with shorelines in OK. You cannot speak for other people. If they are happy in NYC, then GREAT! I am happy for them.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:56 AM

97 posts, read 112,049 times
I have to admit I was sort of like Redshadowz in 1970. I was just out of the Air Force at Tinker AFC in Midwest City or Dell City don't remember which it was. I had been raised in Oklahoma since 1944 and lived in many places since 1970. Fast forward to the present, I am turning 65 the end of September
and can't to get back to Oklahoma. I bought a house there in February and have been moving slowly since then. I am going back with the last trailer load this week and hope to have a great stress free
weekend at our annual class reunion. I didn't care much for the town I was raised in (Cleveland) but now I love every foot of it. I was my wife's idea for the move, she was born and raised in Northern Indiana and we are sick of the snow and horrid winters. I have already bought my OKIE tee shirt and
have been wearing it proudly. I hope to be living full time there by October. We know it's not perfect in Oklahoma, but real close for us.

IronHorse

Last edited by ironhorseherb; 09-13-2009 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: Grammer

Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 AM

Welcome, ironhorseherb. Glad to hear of your move. Moving in itself is a pain, but it is nice to put down roots someplace you are happy.

I don't know where Cleveland, OK is, but it is probably a welcome change. Take care and best of luck on your new digs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorseherb View Post
I have to admit I was sort of like Redshadowz in 1970. I was just out of the Air Force at Tinker AFC in Midwest City or Dell City don't remember which it was. I had been raised in Oklahoma since 1944 and lived in many places since 1970. Fast forward to the present, I am turning 65 the end of September
and can't to get back to Oklahoma. I bought a house there in February and have been moving slowly since then. I am going back with the last trailer load this week and hope to have a great stress free
weekend at our annual class reunion. I didn't care much for the town I was raised in (Cleveland) but now I love every foot of it. I was my wife's idea for the move, she was born and raised in Northern Indiana and we are sick of the snow and horrid winters. I have already bought my OKIE tee shirt and
have been wearing it proudly. I hope to be living full time there by October. We know it's not perfect in Oklahoma, but real close for us.

IronHorse

Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 AM

3,834 posts, read 1,901,263 times
Its not that Oklahoma is horrible, its that the strengths Oklahoma posesses are only attractive to a small number of people. Oklahoma would probably be a great place to retire. Someone being older doesn't have to worry about how much they get paid. They probably don't care much about nightlife. The probably wouldnt ride mass transit if someone paid them. They just want somewhere quiet and not too expensive where they can have some land and enjoy nature.

As someone raised in Oklahoma and stayed in Oklahoma most of my young life. As I have moved to new areas in the country, I have seen more and more how close-minded most Oklahomans are. Then as I have taken more and more interest in the enviroment and sustainability. Oklahoma is very unsustainable, Oklahoma is a detriment to the enviroment, and if everyone lived like an Oklahoman or a Texan, we would use at least twice the electricity/gas/oil that we do now. To me its an embarrassment that Oklahomans are so proud that their economy is based almost completely around Oil. We are the Iran of the United states, complete with a christian theocratic government, and full of extremists trying to secede from the United States(or at least, trying to use the 10th amendment to defy the federal government, thank you Brad Henry for Veto'ing it).

The sad thing about Oklahoma is, theres absolutely nothing to do unless you have money and a car. Most people only dream of 4-wheelin or jet ski'ing. Do you have any how many things there are to do in a place like New York city or Washington DC that costs absolutely nothing, and their mass transit is top notch. Oklahoma city's mass transit is the worst in the country.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 AM

97 posts, read 112,049 times
Been to both NYC and DC, and I bet it is really a dream for those who live there to own a 4 wheeler or jet ski. Much less find a place to enjoy them. I was in NYC to run in the Marathon and stayed downtown.
Nothing but taxi cab honking their horns 24/7, went to the corner store for a 6 pack and bag of chips after the Marathon and handed the clerk a $10 bill and he still had his hand out for more. You could not make me ride the mass transit systems in either of those cities. I am retiring the minute I turn 65 which is the end of September 2009 and I could live anyplace in the US. We picked the Cleveland area and have a nice house in Westport on the Keystone lake. I am truly glad everyone would not like Oklahoma, just as I don't want everyone to use a Macintosh computer (we still have no viruses and is a very stable operating system) I use both daily, but I digress. The tornados are the least of our worries, we have already had a few in Indiana. I almost forgot about the snakes that Oklahoma have, but I will leave them alone and they will do the same. Redshadowz I know how you feel when you live somewhere you don't like, I spent the worst year of my life in Massachusetts, try living there in the 70s with an Oklahoma twang. I know I love Oklahoma and will spend the rest of my life there and can ride my Harley many months more than I do in Indiana.

IronHorse

Last edited by ironhorseherb; 09-13-2009 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma