Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:00 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,804,890 times

Advertisements

No problem here Happytown. Everybody has their opinions on where they would like to live, or where they have lived. OkC is a GREAT city, it's just not my favorite place in Oklahoma, but it IS one of my favorite places in the U.S. I applaud what they've done downtown, and believe the city is one of the premiere cities in the United States in the coming decade (AHEAD OF TULSA in terms of development).

I appreciate your PM and truly respect your views. I have no doubt that you are a great person and contribute to the economic development of the great city of Oklahama City. I hope that I haven't made any derogatory remarks against Oklahoma City, THE capital city of the great state of Oklahoma and coming into it's own by virtue of new professional sports and growth that is phenomenal - a truly great town. Happytown, I love both cities, I simply love Tulsa more. That's all there is to say. I hope OkC grows tremendously over the next twenty years, gets the pro team they DESERVE and continues to be the leader of Oklahoma. I love it. Please don't get me wrong - OkC is world class in my opinion and I only wish for the best.
Cheers,

BTW, I'm from Oklahoma and have lived most of my life there. So, I feel that my opinion is a valid one. Once again, take care and please don't take offense.. BTW, the "OkC" spelling was not at all meant to be derogatory; the OkC emblem or "icon," whichever you wish to call it is just that and I think it is a cool logo - so, no I have no preconceived notions about puttin OkC down. If you'll read my opinions about OkC in the General US forum I am one of the first to say that OkC deserves THE NEXT PRO sports team in America because of what they have demonstrated over the last couple of years. It's a GREAT city deserving of great accolades.

I KNOW OkC has a hug potential. They have one of the top three zoos in the Nation; a downtown that is being entirely revitalized, and a community/city spirit that is proactively geared towards progressive, urban development. It's a great city, please don't get me wrong - I just prefer tulsa town to OkC as far as a place to live. Your city is great and there are great things in store for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

The "East Coast" thing is a general opinion that I've found to be quite popular due to the architechture and such by that's my layman's opinion so please don't take it personally; it's just my own opinion and not meant to intimidate or harm. Tulsa is up an coming as well, which is good for the entire state of Oklahoma - something I'm looking foward to a great deal.

Last edited by Synopsis; 05-04-2007 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 01:11 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,178,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Synopsis- I tend to wonder if you have a POSSE designed for this forum, along with multiple aliases. It's becoming very evident via the observation of the time in and time out by the comments of your counterparts, designed to regulate opinions. But, that's just My 2 Cents. But if anyone were to look at my PMs, from you, they could tell the whole story. I would never want to do this, but...I will post my PMs from you, unless you can stop.

To even slightly compare tulsa to Boston is ridiculous. Did the mayflower land on the shores of a lake in the middle of AMERICA? I didnt realize Plymouth Rock could be associated with tulsa- have you ever tried to touch it? I have. Very silly!! YOU ARE DOING AN INJUSTICE TO ALL AMERICANS WITH YOUR POMPOUS PROPOSAL. PERIOD.

Your statistics are becoming boring and are designed to cause arguements. Now go away and take your childish banter with you- OR LIKE YOU HAVE RUDELY SAID TO ME. GETTT OFFF. Like I can't decifer your backhanded compliments. DONT TAKE ME FOR A FOOL!

I propose a TRUCE so we can continue the purpose of city data and be on with our secret forum lives. Negativity is not on my agenda. It causes stress and anxiety. I read past comments by you and you seem to be a good person.

Although I have done this recently...to calm the drama.

I APOLIGIZE for any rude comments and I SINCERELY MEAN THAT. They were for defensive measures. I can only hope you can do the same.

Oh ya- tulsa should=Tulsa just like the nation knows OkC should=OKC. I have never seen or heard of OkC which implies its just an OK city. You know this VERY well. Shame on you. I usually always spell Tulsa like Tulsa. But since I saw the obvious, negative emphasis of the spelling by you, of my town. I decided to switch it up- if you know what I mean.

justcantdance- As for you my well timed friend. I thank you for the compliment for the humor. It was made to be that way, so I am truly happy you found it funny. The whole post was designed to be funny!

I will say this- I do not believe anyone that has lived for a short period of time or did a long/short visit to OKC or heard it through the grapevine bull; can do it justice(it is that BIG).

You are very right- Tulsa is more condensed. Unfortunately for the long run it could be its demise. OKC swathed large amounts of land purposefully for future possibilities. This allows for a LARGER CITY akin to Houston than Dallas- so if you want to look into your crystal ball- tulsa will be like Big D and OKC will be like Houston- I at least speak the truth on both sides(two sides to every story guys). You are way out of line with your opinion of MY so-called COW TOWN(sticks and stones). I actually love the idea, because we do not inflate OUR IMAGE and really have a cow town district CALLED Stockyard City. That we embrace, because we are a western town. Your opinion is your opinion/although I find it to be untrue in many ways. But anyone that does not live here KNOWS VERY LITTLE.

Neither of you even live in Oklahoma!?!

I am DONE with this thread. It has gotten out of hand. New posts will certainly not be responded by me. Looking forward to actual reliable, INTERESTING information/Conversation in future threads. I hope they will not be so biased. Considering that the Tulsa forum is TWICE the size, so obviously I am out numbered to begin with. But I could care less. Thank You
Um...maybe I'm coming in late on a previous, touchy situation. Obviously I am. No, I don't currently live in Oklahoma, but I do think my opinion is valid, even if you don't agree. Obviously it rubs you the wrong way, and I'm sorry for that.
It's not like I know nothing of OK. As I said, I lived in Tulsa from 1993-1999, and actually I lived there when I was kid from 1979-1981. In addition, my mom was born and raised in southeast Oklahoma, going to high school in Atoka, to be exact, and my mom's siblings and my grandma still live in and around Antlers, OK. We spent every summer of our lives visiting Oklahoma. So yes, even if you disagree, my opinion isn't without personal knowledge.
I am well aware there are nice parts of OKC, and have even said the "cosmo" parts of OKC outstrip Tulsa's, if not by much, at least somewhat.
I agree with Synopsis, sorry. The #'s don't lie, T-Town simply is more compact, lending itself to feel more city-ish. And yes, the overall vibe of Tulsa, especially in midtown, DOES feel more east-coastish than OKC. No one said it WAS Boston, sheesh.
Felt the need to respond, even if you say you won't read or respond! Peace!

Old 05-05-2007, 05:13 PM

17,636 posts, read 13,452,818 times
I wanted to make a comment about Synopsis comments about OKC and Tulsa and Dallas and Boston.

First, OKC is similar to Dallas in terms of terrain and OKC is more of a southwestern town. Settled by the land run. Boom town.

The Tulsa/Boston thing comes from the fact that although Tulsa "existed" as a small Muscogee creek community, it really came into existance when a lot of eastern oilmen came to Tulsa and picked Tulsa as a place in which to live.

these fellows picked Tulsa because it was across the river from the Glen Pool. Therefore they could live away from the riffraff of the oil town. In essence they tried to "culture" Tulsa early on. Thus the idea that Tulsa wants to be like Boston comes from the fact that these early prominent citizens did not want oil field culture to permeate the community.

North and south Oklahoma city (seperated by the river) presents some of the same dynamic as Tulsa did, but it wasn't so much by design. Those early Tulsa rich oil guys truly wanted Tulsa to be a sophisticated community.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:29 PM

11 posts, read 52,276 times
Hello Im the one who started this thread because my wife is very nervous about were to live in ok.
I want to thank each of you for all the information you have given us. thank you. all of you have help us alot.

Hello honey bee thanks for the infoe, My wife and myself live next to modesto will be moving from ceres lol. you have been a big help; thank you

Old 05-07-2007, 12:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,178,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelte View Post
Hello Im the one who started this thread because my wife is very nervous about were to live in ok.
I want to thank each of you for all the information you have given us. thank you. all of you have help us alot.
Your welcome! Good luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:20 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,493,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelte View Post
Were planning to move from central ca. looking for slower pace but a modern or liberal atmospher. also kid friendly safe nieborhoods
I have lived in Tulsa 1954-1976 and also 1988-1990 and have live in these California cities/Los Angeles-Long Beach...San Francisco...Oakland and currently Vallejo CA. One of the Monikers that I gave Tulsa is T.O. Southwest , the States of Texas..Oklahoma......New Mexico..Arizona
comprises the southwestern region of the country , and all cities in that region are inffluented by Los Angeles and California in general and all are a
Little Bit Like California in some ways but all are far more less progressive. I'm going to list all cities in the region from most like California to least like California.Phoenix AZ Tucson AZ...Houston TX Multi-Cultured Diversified City......Austin TX..DallasTX..San Antonio TX..Tulsa OK because of it's California type beauty and water features...Oklahoma City Fast Upcoming
Reissance City...El Paso TX.....Albuquerque NM a beautiful high desert city that's on the verge of being a up and coming Wold Class City...Fort Worth TX...Las Vegas and Reno and Salt Lake City are Western Mountain State Cities That Pretty Much Like The Cities In California.

BOK Center

www.doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/hotels/hotelpromo.jhtml;Jsessionid=5VXAAFFQ1OEICSGBYM22Q? ctyhocn (broken link)=

Bricktown Downtown Oklahoma City

www.okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/documents/C25%200ec%2012%20SC%20Presentation.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma