Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:40 PM

24 posts, read 133,753 times

Advertisements

okay i'm a new yorker, but a country girl at heart.
i'v always wanted to move to the south, and finally i have the chance.
i am 24 years old, single and looking for the following in a place. if you think you know of a good place for me, PLEASE TELL

*a lot of friendly people, people that basiclaly know you so preferably a small town, but not TOO small.
*not a city feel, more of a small town feel. with quaint little shops that might sell nick-nacks, a supermarket, some restaurants, some places for a young girl to hang out.
*horseback riding is a major plus. i would LOVE to have a house with a stable sometime in my future. i'v taken lessons for a few years now.
*a good community, low crime-good schools, etc.
* i like the outdoors. so the more there is to do outdoors the better for me.

if you know of ANY PLACE. please tell all =) thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 09:18 PM

152 posts, read 370,114 times
http://www.cityofguthrie.com/#

Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Smile No worries be happy now

N.Edmond and OKC, on the east side, has numerous beautiful farms and rolling hills. I have seen many people running their horses on country drives. My grandpa owned a race horse named carraday and he would race it at Remington Park. This is Oklahomas only 'REAL' race track- 4 star. It has plush stables and all the fixins. Its also near the Oklahoma City Zoo, one of the best in the country- thinking you like animals. Im a big fan of nature and with Edmond as a home and OKC as a playing ground for entertaiment at your young age... Well you cant lose!

Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 PM

24 posts, read 133,753 times
yes, i adore animals and nature. thank you, i'll look into that ;]

Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Country girl, Tahlequah is quite an up and coming little town. It seems that everyone likes it there. It's east of Tulsa and the scenery in that area is very pretty.

Also, the Ardmore area looks very nice. Check out the pics on here that Synopsis posted. I believe the title of the thread is something like "Arbuckle Mountains."

Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 AM

13 posts, read 30,366 times
Smile My town

I just ended a four year term as City Council Woman for the town of Spencer Oklahoma. I took on the task first because these wonderful people allowed me the opportunity. Second the town has a 50 acre park that complete with rodeo grounds that hadn't been opened for a rodeo in years and my goal was to get it open, I did. First Rodeo 5000 people. You were looking for horse people you mentioned, well we have that and more.
Spencer is located approx ten min. from downtown Oklahoma City. Which would be just NE of us and we are six miles North of Tinker AFB. We are a five mile sq town with 3800 people a demographic mixed of retired and working that works well together as this is how you find experience in mentors and piano teachers. The rodeo area of Eastern Oklahoma County is a fantastic group of people that compete not only here in local rodeos but also across the nation including Las Vegas in November and back here in Oklahoma in Jan for the IFR. Spencer and the surrounding area is perfect for horse owners as homes that were built were put on lots big enough to meet city code requirements for horses and the park complete with arena is on the north edge of town perfect for evening and weekend riding. This is a quiet town as are the surrounding areas.The type of place you can still find garage sales and bake sales. A great town to learn about local goverment.The town north of us holds weekly livestock sales. Our town has a school system that has rapidly changed itself for the better in the last five years with maps for kids. They are no longer know as at at risk school. These teachers and counsolers have made a real difference and continue to do so. It is also the students they show they want more by doing more and these are truly good kids in our neighborhoods and good families.The teacher pay is showing $10,000. 00 higher than other area schools and we offer more classes than surrounding areas.You need only to pull up Spencer test scores to see what a great job they are doing. There is finally a strong focus on higher education and understanding that the ACT and SAT test scores truly do matter and that they are indeed the measure for which we find our out where our students are in education as well as ensure they get scholarships and entry into college. (I have started a program with the generous help of the Chamber of Commerce to help sponcer funding for ACT testing at the local High school. This is our new yearly contest to support local youth. )We have an elementary school, a middle school, a high school two private Christian schools, several day cares. On the south of us sits Midwest City, a growing city with any thing you could possibly need. To the North is Edmond. We have more than ten golf courses within 15 miles of us. In a Fifteen mile area you can find homes everywhere from $80,000.00 to the several million dollar range. We live in a beautiful area and it would be hard to find another like it.We have the ease in the country without the drive. With the price of gas today that makes all of the difference. It is very quiet, we do not have all of the traffic. I can be in my back pasture with my horses one min and then in a moment we can decide to go to the arts festivals, Ford Center for a Hockey game, or to Brick town for dinner all would only take fifteen min parking included. There are four Rodeo grounds within 6 miles all with something going most of the summer, and Remmington Park Race track is Five miles to the east along with the ZOO etc. We have a Wallgreens in town and Wall Mart on the edge.We have a fulltime paid fire dept. with a fire code of 6 for insurance purpose. We have metro transportation to get you to the areas of many jobs and colleges.There are many people to share your interest of horses oh and Chandler is only 35 miles up the road to the North with a wonderful Lake(Bell Cow) with the best Equestrian Camp ground and Trail Riding, I have seen. Clean camp sites, rest rooms 25 miles of trails,fishing,boating, perfect or a weekend or just overnite, just up the road off Rt 66. Well I hope I have told you enough about my town and area. I have lived here nearly twenty years. We also have a Historical society, a wonderful Chamber of Commerce a Garden Club, 38 churches..did I mention great people...Llamas, camels, oh I raise Mammoth jacks,....Tonni Canaday

Last edited by Silvermoon; 05-08-2007 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Add item

Old 05-09-2007, 06:19 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I would tell you to pick a college town since you are young. Expect to not find a town that has cute shops and nice restaurants. You may even think of checking out Eureka Springs, AR. I am not sure if they have a college but they have a cute town with neat shopping.

I have been here from CA for 6 months and have yet to find a good restaurant and I have tried many that were said to get the best. I have yet to find a town with the shopping you speak of. They have malls if that is okay with you. I have learned that in traveling in this State and in Arkansas that nice shops are scattered here and there, that is, if you can find a really nice shop. I am afraid that the materialism of California has spoiled me forever.

Be ready for tornadoes. I live in Cherokee Co, and we have only had 5 in the last 60 years. Other places haven't done so well. So I am glad that I picked an area with less tornado activity.

I also live in Tahlequah and love it here, except for the things I am telling you about. It is very hard to have lived in the city and come to country if you love
shopping and food. But I would not move back to a city and give up what I have here in scenery and wonderful, kind, and friendly people.

It also depends on what you are used to having in New York, where you live. Expect here to find only Chinese, Mexican, and American foods and not so great at that.

The best foods I have eaten so far come from the gourmet frozen food section at the local Reasor's grocery store or in some of their canned foods that are actually in jars.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 AM

13 posts, read 30,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
I just ended a four year term as City Council Woman for the town of Spencer Oklahoma. I took on the task first because these wonderful people allowed me the opportunity. Second the town has a 50 acre park that complete with rodeo grounds that hadn't been opened for a rodeo in years and my goal was to get it open, I did. First Rodeo 5000 people. You were looking for horse people you mentioned, well we have that and more.
Spencer is located approx ten min. from downtown Oklahoma City. Which would be just NE of us and we are six miles North of Tinker AFB. We are a five mile sq town with 3800 people a demographic mixed of retired and working that works well together as this is how you find experience in mentors and piano teachers. The rodeo area of Eastern Oklahoma County is a fantastic group of people that compete not only here in local rodeos but also across the nation including Las Vegas in November and back here in Oklahoma in Jan for the IFR. Spencer and the surrounding area is perfect for horse owners as homes that were built were put on lots big enough to meet city code requirements for horses and the park complete with arena is on the north edge of town perfect for evening and weekend riding. This is a quiet town as are the surrounding areas.The type of place you can still find garage sales and bake sales. A great town to learn about local goverment.The town north of us holds weekly livestock sales. Our town has a school system that has rapidly changed itself for the better in the last five years with maps for kids. They are no longer know as at risk school. These teachers and consolers have made a real difference and continue to do so. It is also the students they show they want more by doing more and these are truly good kids in our neighborhoods and good families.The teacher pay is showing $10,000. 00 higher than other area schools and we offer more classes than surrounding areas.You need only to pull up Spencer test scores to see what a great job they are doing. There is finally a strong focus on higher education and understanding that the ACT and SAT test scores truly do matter and that they are indeed the measure for which we find our out where our students are in education as well as ensure they get scholarships and entry into college. (I have started a program with the generous help of the Chamber of Commerce to help sponsor funding for ACT testing at the local High school. This is our new yearly contest to support local youth. )We have an elementary school, a middle school, a high school two private Christian schools, several day cares. On the south of us sits Midwest City, a growing city with any thing you could possibly need. To the North is Edmond. We have more than ten golf courses within 15 miles of us. In a Fifteen mile area you can find homes everywhere from $80,000.00 to the several million dollar range. We live in a beautiful area and it would be hard to find another like it.We have the ease in the country without the drive. With the price of gas today that makes all of the difference. It is very quiet, we do not have all of the traffic. I can be in my back pasture with my horses one min and then in a moment we can decide to go to the arts festivals, Ford Center for a Hockey game, or to Brick town for dinner all would only take fifteen min parking included. There are four Rodeo grounds within 6 miles all with something going most of the summer, and Remmington Park Race track is Five miles to the east along with the ZOO etc. We have a Wallgreens in town and Wall Mart on the edge.We have a fulltime paid fire dept. with a fire code of 6 for insurance purpose. We have metro transportation to get you to the areas of many jobs and colleges.There are many people to share your interest of horses oh and Chandler is only 35 miles up the road to the North with a wonderful Lake(Bell Cow) with the best Equestrian Camp ground and Trail Riding, I have seen. Clean camp sites, rest rooms 25 miles of trails,fishing,boating, perfect or a weekend or just overnite, just up the road off Rt 66. Well I hope I have told you enough about my town and area. I have lived here nearly twenty years. We also have a Historical society, a wonderful Chamber of Commerce a Garden Club, 38 churches..did I mention great people...Llamas, camels, oh I raise Mammoth jacks,....Tonni Canaday
Well here we are just two short years later. The holidays are nearing and our state has so much to be grateful for much in part to the fact that jobs are still rising as are homes in the areas. Building still continues as the need for homes for people moving in to the area continue to rise. It is so much fun to see people so happy to see just how much of a grand home they can purchase for under $500,000. Don't get me wrong that is a lot of money and I know it. However when you have lived your whole life on the east and west coast this buys a very nice very beautiful home.Our downtown area continues to grow with the Oklahoma Thunder now in town (basketball). It is November so we have American Quarter horse coming to town for two weeks of great show and some fantastic shopping all at the fairgrounds. This is a great place to get some of the Christmas shopping out of the way do lunch with some friends and have a little fun all at once .While in town if you are moving here or just here for a visit and need your hair fixed for any occasion may I suggest you go to my very good friends at Final Cut 810-8004, Grant has been taking great care of me for 22 years and Tiffinay is now looking after my beautiful daughter. She is great at everthing and I hear she even does the custom eyelashes. David is the owner , he has a rental home in Hawaii, talk to him if you are looking for a trip, and he has a great custom gift shop with little things to make your best friends day. These are all just good people and I can promise you will feel and look fantastic if you give them a chance. They are the kind of people that are hired to help people redo their lives so if you are having a bad day or want to celebrate a great day, this is where you belong. Tell them Tonni Canaday sent you. They are located just north of NW 63 East of Broadway extension and North on Classen about block and half on the right. Brick two story office looking building. Never would find it if you were not told about it kind of place. Each person does a little of everything, they will even come to you for special occasions like to do a wedding party, bridal shower. I think with the holidays it would be more fun to have a hotel room where all the woman get ready for company Christmas party and have hair and make up done, they could do that kind of thing, talk to Grant. What a gift to get massages and then makeup and hair before New Years Eve ! This would need to be set up way in advance but could be done. I digress, it is just so great that our city has grown to where we have these things available and great places to go. Check out the Civic center for Plays this month and next. You can always set up a day for your older children to go to the metro museum and then over to the civic center for one of many plays and then pick them up for a dinner in Bricktown. Make sure they get a light lunch at museum.This is a good time for everyone to all have a phone on them even if it is a pre purchase phone with so many minutes. Over the holidays with so many hours spent in crowded stores this gives you a way to meet up with out much worry. A great suggestion for budget dinners and still get fantastic food is Cheddars. You can not go wrong with this place. Yes the lines are long and you have to wait, however, a little planning and you can feed six people for forty dollars. I would like to suggest water as the drink of the night and it will help you enjoy the large meal.
Make sure you walk thru our bass Pro Shop and if you would like a very classy hotel with a pool you have several choices today in Oklahoma City, The Renaissance, The Skirvin, Courtyard by Marriott and these are the ones we have honestly had the time to visit. I have stayed at all but the Skirvin and will reccomend all for a great say, good food and wonderful staff. If you need facilities for convention in the downtown area any of these will take very good care of you and have nothing but the best of everything available to them to make your stay in our city the best. For a great dinner , if you want steak you must of course go to the real deal our working stockyards where a dress of either boots and jeans or a gown with silk and diamonds would appear normal, with steak that melts in your mouth and a house salad that to date I just can't get enough of, Cattleman's will never let you down. Just try to leave room for the pie.
if you prefer to stay in Bricktown then by all means go to Nonna's. This is not the place for jeans, this is fine dinning and even finer food.If you don't leave room for the pie that's OK she is well prepared to sent it out the door when you pass thru the bakery, you also might try and buy any of what is left from the day's fresh picked specialty grown fresh herbs and tomatoes all grown in Nonna's own hothouses. Ask about tours.This time of year there is so many things to do, take a tour thru a corn maze in Pocola and Shawnee. If you are still new to the area I will say it again East is in for Land and that is where the best land buys are. We have some of the best people and programs going with our small town mentality all within a moments reach of being able to acquire the very best of everything for your children form medical facilities to higher Education. The same goes for work and all within a quick drive or bus ride if needed. Make sure when you buy a home or rent or lease that you pay close attention to the following , what town and what county do you live in. This is important for your insurance rating. If you are renting make sure you get renters insurance. When we were first married we had almost nothing. We had the gifts we were given when we got married and small items we bought over time. Our renters insurance thru Farm Bureau, which is who I chose because they had always been in my life while I was in 4-H and my parents were members. When after about 12 years our washer blew the hose off in the middle of the night and flooded the entire downstairs, I was never so glad to have paid a bill for that many years up until that momnet.They covered everything that got wet because my agent was smart enough to make me take out replacement value. At the time I did not understand and was not sure I wanted to pay more and that was a very valuable moment because they bought/let me buy all new items to replace everything that got wet. Now we also had life insurance under them and when I was buying a horse trailer my agent let me know I did not need to take a loan from the bank. He let me know that I had enough value to take a loan from myself at a lower interest than the bank and I could pay myself back just by doubling what I was currently paying which was less than half of what the bank wanted and I would have myself paid back within one year. So I have learned that having life insurance is like putting money into a saving account and after two years you can use it for small things you may need as long as each time you pay it right back. That way should anything happen to you or a family member the expenses are covered which would be overwhelming emotionally to deal with and you are able to use the money to help build assets. Life insurance from the right agent is a thing if value. Again Farm Bureau is my agent. Last but not least , I love my adopted state as I have
often said, however we are fifth in the nation for uninsured drivers.We have a student that I think of as a second daughter that was hit by a driver with no insurance. Now she has insurance but only liability and her car is totaled. The officer who was not on scene when it happened did not take a statement from her only from the other driver and after we insisted he took one from the witness. The witness was waiting for our student who was in the turn lane to turn from the left to the right,(East side) he had to watch her as he was sitting at the stop sign and she had the right of way, she had her blinker on. He watched her turn in what he also believed was a clear area and out of know where she was hit from a car that neither of them saw. When the driver of the other car hit our students car it hit so hard that she went 360 degrees now facing north with both air bags deployed she drove the car the rest of the way into the Walgreens parking lot which was located next to the turn lane located on the left (West side).The passenger side completely crushed in T-Boned right in the center of car, The other car driven by a young lady with three other young passengers, was now sitting about 100 feet or more in the very center of the south bound turn lane facing north.That car was only damaged on the front right passenger side.
We had an ambulance take her away to check for a head injury, waiting first to see if the officer wanted a statement, he did not take one. When the tow truck came to take our students the officer came over to use and we asked if he had any information for us on the other driver and he then informed us that she had no insurance and he would be writing her a citation for no insurance. Then he went on to say that he would also be issuing our student a citation for failing to make turn in motions? I pointed out that she had her blinkers on and that she and witness both had seen a clear lane and that it appeared that the other driver had come thru the intersection to fast making it impossible for her to be seen because of her high rate of speed. The officer said he could not prove that the high rate of speed caused the wreck. I asked how he could give her a citation for something he did not see when the damages pointed to other wise. He suggested she take it to court, about then the other driver commented that our student had been flying down the road at a high rate of speed and the officer told her there was no need for her to speak. So I digress, my point in all of this is that no matter what or who is at fault, with numbers like 5th worse in the nation it shows that we need to make sure and help our students understand exactly what type of insurance they require so that they do not end broke and with no way to get to school or work.The accident was bad enough , however to be blamed simply because she is the one with the insurance so that her insurance can cover the cost of the person who had no intention of ever fixing the car she was driving , the person who was not going to school , who was driving around at night after 10, after curfew, with three friends against all advise of every insurance company and the person that was attempting to fill her car with gas after school before she had to go to work is the person that is now is the position with the most to loose. As a mentor I want to make sure that I tell all of our young students how important it is that you succeed and we are behind you. We need to give you more tools at every turn. So please ask the people that can be of great help to you such as insurance agents and make friends with a small bank. Go in a meet the President or Vice President so that they can guide you thru homes that are for sale for the price of taxes , fixer ups that will get your family started. This great state is a great place to gather together past 4-H members who are in business today and look at how you can use resources. how you can put people to work by for instance fixing your first home and looking for others who want to do the same. This is the kind of thing that can turn into a learning project for kids a community service type project that just may help you help them get to college. So For this update we have talked about how to have a little fun, people you can meet, places you can go how to get involved , how to find a mentor and how to be a mentor. In this great state we can all make a difference I hope you will follow along think about what we can do for the New Year ,work a little harder at thinking "Made in Oklahoma/ America " for the holidays, from food to gifts, and find new ways to get Oklahoma youth into higher education. I welcome all ideas and hope I can get you all on board with making Oklahoma stronger with each of us finding our strengths.
Sign me proud to be called a neighbor, Tonni Canaday /Spencer, Oklahoma

Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,121 times
I think you would like Northwest Edmond (northern Oklahoma county or southern Logan county). Edmond is a nice safe town, though it is growing the downtown area still has the little shops you can walk down the street from one to the other. They also have a "farmer's market". There are horse stables and riding areas nearby as well. There are lakes close by. Arcadia lake to the east has trails for horses, and there is Guthrie and Liberty lakes to the north that may have areas to ride.
Arcadia also has all the camping, boating, fishing, and day use areas.
Both Edmond and Deer Creek schools are known for being very good.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:50 PM

18 posts, read 60,484 times
You may also want to look at Claremore. There is a small four year university as well as several museums. It is a great place to live.

Claremore, OK - Official Website

Claremore Chamber of Commerce

Claremore Daily Progress - Homepage

Welcome to Claremore Oklahoma

Claremore Public Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma