U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:16 PM

75 posts, read 251,901 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, that was a comment I made while visiting Oklahoma recently.
I live in South Carolina and my parents live in Oklahoma. I grew up in Oklahoma so I’m well aware of how friendly people are there. Sadly, it appears I have become far more jaded to friendly folk than I ever dreamed I’d be.
Here’s what happened…my Dad recently fell ill, so I made a flying trip in to take care of things for my parents. While sitting in a local pharmacy waiting for Dad’s prescriptions, a chatty young lady started talking to my brother and me as if she’d known us all her life. When she walked away I asked my brother, “Was she just being friendly or was she high?” He laughed and said, “Who knows these days!”
That comment has bothered me ever since the words fell from my lips. I was in Oklahoma for three weeks and not once in all that time did I deal with anyone rude or hateful in anyway. Wasn’t pleased with the lack of knowledge from a few nurses at a local hospital, but that’s a whole other can of worms. I had more doors opened for me, more people smiling and saying, “How do you do?” then I’ve had in years! One dear sweet gentleman even helped me pick out cantaloupe at Wal-Mart!
I could go on and on about how sweet and kind many people were while I was in Oklahoma. This last visit really made me even more determined than ever to look at retiring there someday. And I promise, if I do, I won’t accuse anyone of being high again! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 PM

32,427 posts, read 17,764,993 times
No, I don't think you were rude. You merely made a flippant remark at her overt friendliness. Recently when I was going to the hospital for a loved one's illness and subsequent death, I had zero friendliness. I only wanted to be left alone.

Dealing with real life issues is tough and having some bubbly person being all nicey nicey can be annoying.

Or she could have been high... on okie-free-from-stress life.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:25 PM

22 posts, read 103,135 times
That's interesting, I'm moving to OK from ND in June, I have never lived anywhere else and my daughter (13) and I were just talking tonight, wondering how the people of OK would be...friendly? Rude? Snobby? I would really like to have friendly get together for barbeque type neighbors

Old 05-08-2007, 07:11 PM
JD.

198 posts, read 442,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liem336 View Post
That's interesting, I'm moving to OK from ND in June, I have never lived anywhere else and my daughter (13) and I were just talking tonight, wondering how the people of OK would be...friendly? Rude? Snobby? I would really like to have friendly get together for barbeque type neighbors
I will say that Oklahomans are probably some of the nicest people you will meet. I've spent time in the state, will be moving down there in August, and can honestly tell you that. People wave to you as they pass you on the road, and getting gas can turn into a 15 minute conversation with the person next to you, and just overall genuine friendliness. It took me a while to get used to. Believe me, I'm sure you won't have a problem getting your neighbors to come to a barbecue, just post a sign out in the front yard that says 'Barbecue tonight at 7' and half the town will show up. Unless your moving to the city (Tulsa or OKC), in that case scratch that .

Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,065,470 times
Maybe you were half heartedly dealing with your stress by injecting a bit of humor and didn't even seriously think that of the gal????

Anyway, she was probably just being friendly. I live in an area that I consider to be friendly and I paid a lot of attention to people's attitudes and friendliness when we were there last autumn. They are SO nice and SO considerate.

Liem, have you ever been to OK? You'll be very surprised at how friendly and down to earth the people are there. Normally a city the size of Tulsa would be a bit cold and people would stay to themselves, but it isn't that way at all. I think you'll love it.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:06 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,857,104 times
Everyone is like that in Oklahoma. I know more about strangers lives since moving here than I have anywhere else I have ever lived. Try talking to a stranger in California and they will think you are crazy just as you did in regards to this woman.

Even expect to be held up in lines in Oklahoma due to clerks talking to those at their station, because they are not going to be concerned about the long line behind them, and no one in that long line will be concerned about having to wait either.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:53 PM

75 posts, read 251,901 times
jessaka, you are sooo very correct! lol! But ya know, I don't mind a long line if the clerk is friendly.
I must admit this last trip to Oklahoma was a wake-up call for me. I’ve allowed myself to become far to adapt to my surroundings. We live just outside of Columbia, SC and you’d think things here would be more “southern”. But honestly, they’re not. I’ll never forget the first time I tried to have a conversation with a lady in the checkout line at Wal-Mart. She looked at me as if I were from another planet! She literally gave me a glaring glance and then turned her back on me! All I said was, “Man, don’tcha hate the lines this time of year?” (It was just before Christmas.) And do NOT even think about going into certain shopping centers or grocery stores unless you are dressed well. The service you receive will be lacking to say the least. I’ve run into our local Publix after doing yard work and received more snotty glares than I care to ever experience again.
It’s just not like that in Oklahoma. Not that I’ve ever experienced. Believe me, in dealing with my parents affairs there were several times I had to make quick trips to the grocery store looking like a frazzled ragamuffin! Was never treated any differently than when I walked in there all “spit and polished” as Mom would say.
Let’s face it gang…Oklahoma beats anywhere else hands down when it comes to TRUE Southern hospitality.
I look forward to my next trip in…I need a good ol’ dose of Oklahoma every once in awhile.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:00 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,545,142 times
Ditto on the waving.. I've been all over and I can't recall a place where people wave to you as they pass going the opposite direction on the highway. Oklahomans are truly some of the friendliest people you'll find anywhere.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:17 PM

95 posts, read 322,768 times
well, the Texas Panhandle is friendly like that too. we just don't have quite the pretty scenery y'all do, except for our Palo Duro Canyon...

Old 05-09-2007, 02:51 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,545,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobagirl View Post
well, the Texas Panhandle is friendly like that too. we just don't have quite the pretty scenery y'all do, except for our Palo Duro Canyon...
Palo Duro Canyone is beautiful, I love that area. Amarillo may not have the same type of scenery as Eastern Oklahoma, but it is very beautiful in its own right. And the great people there make it that much nicer of a place to visit or live. Although I'm from Oklahoma, I live in Texas and the people here are fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma