Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:17 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,327,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
expect people to ask you what church you go to.

nationally, the republican primary is the election

do you do copenhagen or do you have to have that sissy stuff that comes in filter paper?

do you prefer justins or Tony's?

is your name short enough to fit on the back of your belt?

is your idea of a great time a steak at cattlemans followed by a seat in the slobber slinging section of the PBR?

does the thought of bulls testicles make your mouth water?

are you looking forward to learning the difference between a wall cloud and circulation?

welcome to Okie homer..........

I have never had anyone ask me these questions.

I am as liberal as it can get, and I fit in well, but I don't tell many people my views on life.

I really like obama
I am pro gay rights
believe in socialized medicine
etc.

i guess if he hangs out with bubbas he will be asked about the type fo tobacco he smokes. i have found good restaurants to eat at that are not mcdonalds or cattlemen's. never heard about a cloud wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe2111 View Post
You know I didn't even really think about my accent, or lack thereof depending on how you think of it, differing from everyone else.

I don't know, its going to be different but I am excited.

And about the car issurance, oddly enough I went online to see what my rate would be, its actually higher then it would be in NY. Odd.
yes it is. i think we are paying for all those okies that don't have car insurance.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Well not to get off topic or anything but if you are a Yankee fan you will certainly miss your baseball... Oklahoma doesn't have a pro team. Oh well I guess once a Yankee fan always a fan.. They did a great job winning the World Series... Congrats!!!
Yes, once a Yankee fan always a Yankee fan. For some reason, well, my brother used to save baseball cards when I was a kid, and I liked Mickie Mantle, so I still like the NY Yankees, but I don't watch baseball.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:35 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,491,140 times
Coming from New York, you should view a move to Oklahoma like you would a move to a foreign country. Your mindset should be the same. (In fact, NYC may have more in common with London than Oklahoma City.)

The U.S. is a big place, and there's a lot of regional differences. So keep your mind open, as if you were moving to Spain or Argentina. Expect that the people and culture will be a little different than what you are used to. You don't have to adapt, and become like the locals to enjoy your time there. Just appreciate the things you like, and try to understand that some of the ways will not be right for you, but it's the custom of the local culture, and I'm sure you'll have a good time there.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:45 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
He should be OK as long as he doesn't confuse rural Oklahoma customs with urban ones.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 AM

62 posts, read 218,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Coming from New York, you should view a move to Oklahoma like you would a move to a foreign country. Your mindset should be the same. (In fact, NYC may have more in common with London than Oklahoma City.)
Very, very true.

@StillwaterTownie: I don't see that much difference to be honest. OKC does not have an 'urban' atmosphere imo. Even downtown, there's still plenty of hicks driving around in pick up trucks leering at women and such. Just today I was walking down Harvey Av. and a guy parked up in a truck said "Hey, are you an attorney?" I said "No, I'm a doctor". He said "Oh, but you're a damn foreigner though". I have a British accent you see.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,947,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillywhite View Post
.......... Even downtown, there's still plenty of hicks driving around in pick up trucks leering at women and such.........
Can you explain this leer thing? I mean I drive a pickup truck, and I look at women, but does leering make it better or something? maybe I'm leering and don't know it? What's the difference between watching a nice looking woman walking down the street and leering.....or does the pickup have to have a part in this sort of thing?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillywhite View Post
Very, very true.

@StillwaterTownie: I don't see that much difference to be honest. OKC does not have an 'urban' atmosphere imo. Even downtown, there's still plenty of hicks driving around in pick up trucks leering at women and such. Just today I was walking down Harvey Av. and a guy parked up in a truck said "Hey, are you an attorney?" I said "No, I'm a doctor". He said "Oh, but you're a damn foreigner though". I have a British accent you see.
Ah, I bet they do that sometimes in New York City, only they do it from fancy convertibles, not pickups, except that New Yorkers are more use to people having an accent. Probably plenty of people in pickups in OKC are from small towns and are lost and wandering. And you better hope that don't take the wrong way on a one way street.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:14 PM

16 posts, read 35,436 times
Heh, spot on with the Yankee fan thing....I'm a huge Yankee fan and will miss going out to the Bronx for games. Went to about 10 this year.

And don't let the media fool you, it's not that expensive. I sat down on the line with the padded seating with waiters and so forth and most games cost me a bout $40-$50 except the Yankees-Mets game which cost me $120.

Also I want to say you guys have been awesome, giving me some really good insight and have made me extremely excited about moving and getting to see the differences and everything for myself. I have a feeling Ill spend more time in OKC then I did in Manhattan...although it will probably have more to do with proximity and cost. I went to Manhattan yesterday for an all day adventure and spent wayyy too much money on practically nothing.

One thing that I did do yesterday which I never remembered to ask was going to see Mike Birbiglia do stand up. Does OKC get any real nationally recognized comics for live shows?

And I guess you can add bands and stuff like that

Old 11-06-2009, 10:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,947,691 times
WE are the home of stand up comedians......or have you never heard of Will Rogers? Rodney Carrington lives just south of Tulsa.

Not work safe:

YouTube - Show Them To Me.

over the next few weeks we will have Kiss, Alan Jackson, Reba, Carrie..........we recently had Paul McCartney, U2, and Rod Stewart...........what kind of other stuff do you think you are wanting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma