Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:23 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

synopsis,

that was funny. i understand the college here has a tornado shelter and that is where we are suppose to hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 AM

416 posts, read 2,509,824 times
Perhaps, it's population control for the rules in place?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 PM

37 posts, read 137,572 times
We just bought our first home in Yukon and we have a 100 sq ft basement. It was built when the former owners built an addition on the back of the house and the basement is under the den (inside house access vs outside access).

Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 PM

75 posts, read 285,050 times
I guess the basement thing depends on what part of a state you live in.
Just peeked over on the South Carolina board and someone had posted there about us not having basements! I'm in the central part of the state (SC) and I have seen lots of basement homes here...maybe certain areas in Oklahoma have them too...

Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 AM

We looked at a home here in Tahlequah that had a storm shelter, and we probably would have bought it but learned it was in escrow. I wondered how I would ever have opened the door by myself though. I had visions of a tornado coming and I was 90 years old and living alone, and I went out to open the shelter door and couldn't. I was blown away by the wind.

We have sirens, and they give you plenty of time to get to the college shelter, so they say. I thought we would just crawl under our house since there is a lot of room under it, but someone said it wasn't a good idea.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:42 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Below is an answer that I found on another thread in the citydata forum, and it makes sense because there are basements in Oklahoma, just very few and far between. Apparently it just boils down to cost.

"There's a rational explanation for the typical lack of basements in the South and there prevalence in the North. The further North you go, the deeper the building codes require you to excavate to place a home's footing below the frost line. If you're excavating 3-4' already, plus placing the house 2' out of the ground, it's foolish to not dig an extra foot or so and just create a basement. In the South, the codes may only require footings to be 1-2' deep, and therefore the addition of a basement would require much more excavation (and therefore cost) beyond what's required."
Cost is a hugh factor, and is compounded when the ground is mostly limestone. I got to participate in the preparation for a 4" concrete beam for a house that required 60 hours of air hammer and 2 days of blasting to excavate a 3" trench 20 feet long. The engineer finally relented and suggested that would be sufficient if pins were drilled into the rock ledge and the beam was attached by rebar to the rock. The houses three blocks away that sat on the same rock were really shaken by the blasting even thought the charges were kept to a minimum.

Landscape elevations also seem to play a part. Many of the basement homes I have seen in the Southeast (haven't seen many firsthand in the north) are on slopes so that the excavation is minimized. Oklahoma doesnt have many slopes to utilize in that respect, and most of them in Texas are on limestone hills.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:43 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
Perhaps, it's population control for the rules in place?
No, we have trailer parks for that purpose.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:34 PM

johnrex, that is good information. what it tells me is, if i have a pump house like in the movie Tornado or another like it, i should strap myself to the well.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 AM

15 posts, read 97,365 times
Frankly, most people don't think about basements, unless they come from a northern clime.... soil and water table issues were part of the reason in Durant when I lived there.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:13 PM

37 posts, read 137,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugratref View Post
I guess the basement thing depends on what part of a state you live in.
Just peeked over on the South Carolina board and someone had posted there about us not having basements! I'm in the central part of the state (SC) and I have seen lots of basement homes here...maybe certain areas in Oklahoma have them too...
The tornado alley part of the state? LOLOLOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma