Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:40 PM

14 posts, read 123,450 times

Advertisements

Look at the "woman" That hand looks like the hand of a man and she sure looks like she has an adam apple. Neat picture tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,549 times
Default Lahoma Oklahoma

It was neat to see these. I live in Lahoma Ok and my husband is a police officer there. Thank you for posting these so we could look at them. If you have any questions about it just send me an email at soonercandy@gmail.com

Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 AM

38 posts, read 153,883 times
Fun picture. Great idea with the blue light; really brings out the detail. Thanks for sharing this.

I'd say, at the very least they're posing for the picture. But could be wrong of course. It appears that they're each acting out certain roles, which is common for photography to create certain "images".

I'm thinking Kurt may be right, that this was taken with humor in mind, and that it's quite possible that that's a man in drag. Also look at that pipe hanging out of "her" mouth. Seems like they're definitely trying to make a humorous statement. And after all, people of course had fun in the old days too. My guess is that we're catching a glimpse of that humor here.

Reminds me of some cave paintings that I feel some have taken too seriously, such as pictures of women with gigantic, umm, "upper parts". This is almost always interpreted as fertility gods and such. But I always wonder if we're seeing primitive humor. And with the painting of gigantic male parts.

Genetically we're the same as those ancestors. We didn't invent or evolve into the humor that we appreciate today. Certainly they had it back then as well. It surely must have been expressed in more primitive contexts, but I'm sure it was there.

I think interpreting this picture as "serious" would be a similar mistake. But who knows, we can only just speculate.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,580,198 times
The script on the postcard says, "Can you guess this?" so I think it is a joke. Maybe the sender was actually one of the characters in the picture.

Does the boy on the back of the donkey have something tied to his neck?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:18 AM

38 posts, read 153,883 times
I thought I noticed something there as well, like something tied around his neck. Hard to tell though.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,985 times
im from lahoma ok.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:53 AM

559 posts, read 1,751,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The script on the postcard says, "Can you guess this?" so I think it is a joke. Maybe the sender was actually one of the characters in the picture.

Does the boy on the back of the donkey have something tied to his neck?
second from left. got to be a dude.
to answer about the boy, look close and you will notice thats a tree branch, but i can see how it could be mistaken for a rope or something like that.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:56 AM

559 posts, read 1,751,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I am looking at the photo and the guy with the flintlock rifle and pistol seems to be posing like some pretend pioneer scout. The weapon is much to early for the time period and I don't think many wore a pistol on their belt like that unless they were into theatrics.
oh... the gun is too early for the time period? so he just has an old gun then. big whoop.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM

11 posts, read 59,042 times
Just saw your post. If you haven't yet found a place to send it: Garfield County Historical Society
P.O. Box 3337, Enid, OK 73702. I'm sure they would love to have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: